BREAKING NEWS: Alaska Legislature

It's in the pdf of the report at page 2.
"to recomend any action for the legialature"

sounds pretty broad to me

btw, "any action" would include charges to be pressed

btw#2, he found an "abuse of power" based on the part of the law that said for "personal gain" yet didnt prove any gain

Last edited:
here is the time article:

What the Troopergate Report Really Says - TIME

part of it:

Those answers were expected, given that most of the best pieces of evidence have been part of the public record for months. The result is not a mortal wound to Palin, nor does it put her at much risk of being forced to leave the ticket her presence succeeded in energizing.

But the Branchflower report still makes for good reading, if only because it convincingly answers a question nobody had even thought to ask: Is the Palin administration shockingly amateurish? Yes, it is. Disturbingly so.

The 263 pages of the report show a co-ordinated application of pressure on Monegan so transparent and ham-handed that it was almost certain to end in public embarrassment for the governor. The only surprise is that Troopergate is national news, not just a sorry piece of political gristle to be chewed on by Alaska politicos over steaks at Anchorage's Club Paris.

A harsh verdict? Consider the report's findings. Not only did people at almost every level of the Palin administration engage in repeated inappropriate contact with Walt Monegan and other high-ranking officials at the Department of Public Safety, but Monegan and his peers constantly warned these Palin disciples that the contact was inappropriate and probably unlawful. Still, the emails and calls continued — in at least one instance on recorded state trooper phone lines.

div con time summary...go read it....why are yall up so early....i know dir is in oz....but arent you in the states divcon? its all new riff raff at 5 am eh?

div con time summary...go read it....why are yall up so early....i know dir is in oz....but arent you in the states divcon? its all new riff raff at 5 am eh?
up late ;)

and why should i read Time's summery when i can read the full report(and have)

"to recomend any action for the legialature"

sounds pretty broad to me

btw, "any action" would include charges to be pressed

btw#2, he found an "abuse of power" based on the part of the law that said for "personal gain" yet didnt prove any gain

It depends how the term "personal gain" is defined in the relevant statute.

The action for the legislature is also interesting. I don't know if the legislature can prosecute for a breach of a statute or whether that would be the job of a DA or someone similar. The recommendations for legislative change obviously fall to the legislature.

nope, you got PWN3D
just admit it
i set you up and slammed you down
actually, i expected someone else to get nailed with it, but you were the first
i still have a shot on another board
LOL
face it, i set you by claiming it was expanding the powers of the GOvernor, when it was expanding the powers of every citizen to get the results of the investigations into complaints made
the Governor also being a citizen also gives her that power
I'm embarrassed for you.

Look, I have to say that's a complete misrepresentation of what the report recommends. It says citizens who file a complaint should get more feedback. That's tidying up a flew in the system, it's not giving the governor more power.

Politically this is a disaster for Palin and McCain.

Palin has been found to have abused her public office for personal gain. That's unethical. Palin acted unethically. She has also shown a propensity to using public office to bully individuals. She is not of sound character to occupy the second highest public office in the US.

That is a political disaster.
It won't matter to those that support the McCain/Palin ticket...especially those types on the video links Silence provided yesterday. Hopefully McCain won't expect the rest of the country to swallow this abuse of power and will replace Palin with another VP pick.

It won't matter to those that support the McCain/Palin ticket...especially those types on the video links Silence provided yesterday. Hopefully McCain won't expect the rest of the country to swallow this abuse of power and will replace Palin with another VP pick.

If it's acceptable for the governor of a state to use their office for personal (in this case - family) gain then there are problems.

When Spitzer was found to be banging expensive call girls he had to go. Palin has used her office to conduct a family vendetta against her former brother in law and has been found to have breached state law in so doing. Spitzer had to go and did go. What happens to Palin is up to the Alaska legislature. But she was found to have broken the law. Yet here we see the most painstaking efforts at denying she did anything wrong. That's hyper-partisan politics.

If it's acceptable for the governor of a state to use their office for personal (in this case - family) gain then there are problems.

When Spitzer was found to be banging expensive call girls he had to go. Palin has used her office to conduct a family vendetta against her former brother in law and has been found to have breached state law in so doing. Spitzer had to go and did go. What happens to Palin is up to the Alaska legislature. But she was found to have broken the law. Yet here we see the most painstaking efforts at denying she did anything wrong. That's hyper-partisan politics.
what was the gain?

Agreed. We shall see if the Republican leadership has enough respect for the country and themselves to force her off the ticket.

It's droll, you moron. Of course since you are no doubt drooling at this moment it's understandable how you made the slip.

Aren't you just loving the GOP these days?
shitting on Americans again i see

hypocrite

what was the gain?

Unfortunately for her the terms of the statute are so broad they encompass the efforts - by her husband who isn't subject to the statute - to get his ex-brother in law kicked out of the Alaska State Troopers. You mentioned omission. Quite right. Again the broad terms of the statute gather her in. She apparently needed to act to stop her husband continuing his actions and she didn't.

Now, putting things in perspective. She won't be charge criminally. Nor should she I think. If she weren't campaigning for VP then anyone hearing this story would make the usual jokes about Alaska (probably the same jokes we make here about isolated areas but with snow instead of sand) then this would be a ripple in Alaska politics. I would go so far as to think that no-one would be thinking about recall let alone impeachment.

But it's all fair game in an campaign process that emphasises character.

I'd like to see that Alaska statute here but there would be no chance of it.

Forum List

Back