Breaking: Justice Scalia has died

If McConnell follows through, refusing to allow an Obama's nomination to come to the Senate floor for a vote, he will be creating the longest vacancy in the history of the 9 man court. That will leave the left leaning 8 justice court to make crucial decision over the next year and possibly much longer if there's a democrat elected. Clearly the Republican Senate is placing their political aim of a more conservative court above their constitutional duty.

If the court has a tie vote on a case, then the ruling of previous federal court will stand. Court decisions can have a huge impact. Suppose the court was called to make a decision that would determine the presidency as they did with Bush vs. Gore and could not reach a decision.

Clearly the Republican Senate is placing their political aim of a more conservative court above their constitutional duty.

having an even number of justices seems like a good way to go the more i think about it
Having only 8 justices will probably mean that some cases that should be heard by the court won't be. Some cases may end in a tie vote which is not fair to the plaintiff or defendant as the case was taken to the Supreme Court for a final decision. In a tie, the party that brought the case to he court can ask the court to hear the case a second time with a full bench. If the court agrees, then the other party would have to go through the process a second time.

the SC does not take the majority of appeals they select some

so i do not see the unfairness of tie

the lower courts opinion remains valid

i hear what you are saying

i was just wondering about the full count of justices becoming an even number
You're right the court receives about 10,000 petitions for a hearing of which they select about a hundred. A tie is very unfair because when you're case is selected for a hearing, you expect that the case is going to be finally resolved after years in the court system. And after the waiting and the costs of taking the case to the Supreme Court for a final decision, there is none.

a tie is not unfair

it opinion of the lower court remains thats all

btw just because it is an even number does not necessarily mean a tie

perhaps an even number of jurists would end all or nothingness that has become expected of the court

So the GOP is playing politics with the courts. SHOCKED....SHOCKED!

Their platform should be one line:

PARTY OVER COUNTRY ALWAYS!

having an even number of justices seems like a good way to go the more i think about it
Having only 8 justices will probably mean that some cases that should be heard by the court won't be. Some cases may end in a tie vote which is not fair to the plaintiff or defendant as the case was taken to the Supreme Court for a final decision. In a tie, the party that brought the case to he court can ask the court to hear the case a second time with a full bench. If the court agrees, then the other party would have to go through the process a second time.

You're right the court receives about 10,000 petitions for a hearing of which they select about a hundred. A tie is very unfair because when you're case is selected for a hearing, you expect that the case is going to be finally resolved after years in the court system. And after the waiting and the costs of taking the case to the Supreme Court for a final decision, there is none.

a tie is not unfair

perhaps an even number of jurists would end all or nothingness that has become expected of the court

a big part of the country does not want a leftist on the court

the prezbo if he wants the seat filled

needs to pick one the senate will consent to

it is that simple

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple

The bigger part elected Obama to make those decisions

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple
So, you want the Senate to vote, up or down then? Yes, or no?

If McConnell follows through, refusing to allow an Obama's nomination to come to the Senate floor for a vote, he will be creating the longest vacancy in the history of the 9 man court. That will leave the left leaning 8 justice court to make crucial decision over the next year and possibly much longer if there's a democrat elected. Clearly the Republican Senate is placing their political aim of a more conservative court above their constitutional duty.

If the court has a tie vote on a case, then the ruling of previous federal court will stand. Court decisions can have a huge impact. Suppose the court was called to make a decision that would determine the presidency as they did with Bush vs. Gore and could not reach a decision.

Clearly the Republican Senate is placing their political aim of a more conservative court above their constitutional duty.

a tie is not unfair

The problem with a tie is that it doesn't settle whatever was at issue.

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple
And I guess Jon that you think the supreme court should always have a republican advantage just like your other friends here do

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple
Did obama win re election by 5 million votes??

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple

how can i offer an opinion of such a question when the president has not nominated anyone

unlike you I am not a party loyalist

and will wait to see what I want my senators to do

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple
Did obama win re election by 5 million votes??

did obama lose 5 million votes between election one and two

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple
And I guess Jon that you think the supreme court should always have a republican advantage just like your other friends here do

obviously you have not been reading my posts

i shall refrain from calling you names like libtard --LOL

Wrong. We should have judges, not law makers on the bench. Regardless of their politics, which shouldn't be evident, judges are supposed to decide law based on what is written, not what they want the written words to mean.

Damn straight. Nothing like galvanizing Democrats to not only win the White House but to also take back the Senate. I'm getting my checkbook out for every close Senate race.
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if this stunt costs Republicans the Senate. Many people will be pissed if the Senate shirks its responsibility to advise and consent the president's nominees.

I guess the historic bitch slapping voters put on Democrats hasn't sunk in yet, the people are fed up with the left and rejected them in an historic blow out election.

You completely fail to understand the dynamics of the electorate, which seats were up for reelection, and how that affected the outcome. BTW, there was no historic bitch slapping. Despite losing many seats, Democratic candidates received 98.7 million votes to Republicans 94.1 million votes. It's way too early to even begin to try and guess which way things will go, but it is conceivable that Dems will win the White House, take back the Senate, and win back a substantial number of Congressional seats.

LOL you libs remain in denial. You have to go all the way back to 1921 to find a ass beating as bad as the Democrats took that's a bitch slapping. After getting their asses handed to them in an historic blow out loss in 2010, even with Obama lying his ass off in 2012 Democrats were only able to scrape back 6 of the 55 House seats the lost, then in 2014 when it was clear to voters Obama had lied his ass off voters again dished out a bitch slapping loss to Democrats giving the GOP control of the Senate. Voters threw Democrats to the ground, stomped on them, and kicked dirt in their faces.
2014 saw the lowest turnout since the 40's. Don't put much stock in it. You cons were super excited about 2012 as well but got throat fucked by the Dems. The Republicans are also playing defense with 70% of the Senate seats.

Riiiiiight and in 2006 when Dem's took control of congress with a similar turn out you libs claimed you had a mandate from the people and it was a repudiation of Bush. The old liberal double standard.

Wrong. We should have judges, not law makers on the bench. Regardless of their politics, which shouldn't be evident, judges are supposed to decide law based on what is written, not what they want the written words to mean.
true but there could be more than 1 meaning to what our forefathers wrote,,,,and this is a far different world or country than what it was then

We don't want that flaming left liberal appointing another justice to the SCOTUS, if the left doesn't like it tough shit the country put the GOP in charge of the Senate. :eusa_boohoo:

We don't want that flaming left liberal appointing another justice to the SCOTUS, if the left doesn't like it tough shit the country put the GOP in charge of the Senate. :eusa_boohoo:
enjoy it while you have it blues won't be for long

That's big talk from the party that got obliterated in an historic blow out election. :laugh:
Return with me to the thrilling days of yesteryear as 5 of the last 6 presidential elections had the majority of Americans voting DEM

a tie is not unfair

it is that simple

how can i offer an opinion of such a question when the president has not nominated anyone

unlike you I am not a party loyalist

and will wait to see what I want my senators to do
Republican Senators have already announced they have no intention of reviewing anyone Obama nominates. They have already declared they think the next president should handle this matter.

ThankGod11125.jpg

enjoy it while you have it blues won't be for long

That's big talk from the party that got obliterated in an historic blow out election. :laugh:
Return with me to the thrilling days of yesteryear as 5 of the last 6 presidential elections had the majority of Americans voting DEM

LOL I see you remain in denial. Democrats were destroyed, not just at the national level but at all levels local, county, and state included. Good luck trying to get a justice confirmed in the Senate :eusa_boohoo:

Forum List

Back