Breaking: Graves Found in Cemetery

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified

English River First Nation finds potential unmarked graves in, around school cemetery​

Yep. This is news in Canuckland. I love how the try to make it sound so ominous. Well hello McFly, not everyone gets a stone headstone and another news story for you is that wood rots.

Just about everywhere here on the East Coast are unmarked graves. Stone headstones didn’t start until the 1700’s, and a lot of people couldn’t afford one.

There was a rather large slave graveyard on one of the hunting leases I ran near a place on the Appalachian Trail called Mosby's Shelter.....There was a smallish plantation there at one time where some of Mosby's men would gather before/after raids on the Manassas Gap RR.

All that marked the graves was a head and footstone made of the same kind of rocks found anywhere on the property. None appeared to have been carved or anything.

I counted 30-odd graves in there. The area was grown-over but you could tell it had been cared for at one time because they had planted Ground Laurel there and it covered the area. There was also remnants of a Chestnut rail fence. I suspect it covered around a half-acre or so.

I remember one morning during deer season when there was a skiff of snow on the ground and the depressions in the ground that marked where the graves were was very pronounced.....Sorta eerie and profound at the same time.

BTW.....During the Spring the Ground Laurel (Mayflower) would blossom and it was right pretty in there.

220px-Trailing_arbutus_2006.jpg

Last edited:
There was a rather large slave graveyard on one of the hunting leases I ran near a place on the Appalachian Trail called Mosby's Shelter.....There was a smallish plantation there at one time where some of Mosby's men would gather before/after raids on the Manassas Gap RR.

All that marked the graves was a head and footstone made of the same kind of rocks found anywhere on the property. None appeared to have been carved or anything.

I counted 30-odd graves in there. The area was grown-over but you could tell it had been cared for at one time because they had planted Ground Laurel there and it covered the area. There was also remnants of a Chestnut rail fence. I suspect it covered around a half-acre or so.

I remember one morning during deer season when there was a skiff of snow on the ground and the depressions in the ground that marked where the graves were very pronounced.....Sorta eerie and profound at the same time.
For some reason places like that fascinate me, I wonder who they were and what their stories were.

What is sad about the OP’s article, is that these were graves of children whose lives mattered very little to their “educators”. They were forcibly taken, and when they died, the parents were never told.

English River First Nation finds potential unmarked graves in, around school cemetery​

Yep. This is news in Canuckland. I love how the try to make it sound so ominous. Well hello McFly, not everyone gets a stone headstone and another news story for you is that wood rots.

Just about everywhere here on the East Coast are unmarked graves. Stone headstones didn’t start until the 1700’s, and a lot of people couldn’t afford one.

… because climate change, er, or something

I remember one morning during deer season when there was a skiff of snow on the ground and the depressions in the ground that marked where the graves were was very pronounced.....Sorta eerie and profound at the same time.

BTW.....During the Spring the Ground Laurel (Mayflower) would blossom and it was right pretty in there.

220px-Trailing_arbutus_2006.jpg

My Grandmother once told me about the time she was a kid growing up on my Great-Grandfather's farm in Arkansas, about 5 miles outside of Prescott. They had a particularly-hot and dry Summer one year, and the ground cracked open in a clearing along side of a stand of pine trees. When they looked down inside the crack, there were scores of human remains still in the remnants of their Confederate uniforms. There was a pretty fierce skirmish about a mile and a half from where she saw this. It was called the Battle of Prairie D'Ane.

Battle of Prairie D'Ane - Wikipedia

I once went around the outskirts of where it took place with a metal detector, but all I found was some cast-iron shell fragments.

My Great-Great Grandfather was conscripted into the Confederate army but didn't want any part of it. He deserted but was later caught, along with another guy who deserted. They were going to hang them both, but he managed to escape through a high window. He hid out in the Little Missouri river bottoms until the war was over, then ended up becoming the county Treasurer. Supposedly he also got some black girl knocked up and paid to send her up North, to go to school.

I also had a distant cousin who wasn't so lucky. He volunteered to go fight at the age of 15, and nobody ever heard from him again.

For some reason places like that fascinate me, I wonder who they were and what their stories were.

What is sad about the OP’s article, is that these were graves of children whose lives mattered very little to their “educators”. They were forcibly taken, and when they died, the parents were never told.
There are little family grave yards scattered all over America....I found one where they had buried a dead Yankee in it that was killed nearby. He has a regular .mil headstone.
My Grandmother once told me about the time she was a kid growing up on my Great-Grandfather's farm in Arkansas, about 5 miles outside of Prescott. They had a particularly-hot and dry Summer one year, and the ground cracked open in a clearing along side of a stand of pine trees. When they looked down inside the crack, there were scores of human remains still in the remnants of their Confederate uniforms. There was a pretty fierce skirmish about a mile and a half from where she saw this. It was called the Battle of Prairie D'Ane.

Battle of Prairie D'Ane - Wikipedia

I once went around the outskirts of where it took place with a metal detector, but all I found was some cast-iron shell fragments.

My Great-Great Grandfather was conscripted into the Confederate army but didn't want any part of it. He deserted but was later caught, along with another guy who deserted. They were going to hang them both, but he managed to escape through a high window. He hid out in the Little Missouri river bottoms until the war was over, then ended up becoming the county Treasurer. Supposedly he also got some black girl knocked up and paid to send her up North, to go to school.

I also had a distant cousin who wasn't so lucky. He volunteered to go fight at the age of 15, and nobody ever heard from him again.
Yep, on the same piece of property there were three orchards, Upper, Middle, and Lower we called them.

In the Lower orchard were the graves of Yankees/Confederates that were wounded and later died in the small homesteads that dotted the mountain where they were taken for care. They were all wounded in the Battle of Wapping Heights/Manassas Gap in 1863.

By the looks of things they were just laid upon the ground and rocks piled atop them. I counted 15 graves. The old black guy that owned the place said his father (a slave at the time) helped bury them. They just sorta planted the orchard around them. There were no markers.

I always wondered why they were not just taken by train back to DC but it was not uncommon for the wounded to crawl-off and be found, dead or alive, later, usually near water, and either cared for or buried nearby.

Sadly the CW graves were destroyed when the property was developed. I don't suspect but few folks even knew of them. At least the slave grave yard near Mosby's Shelter is marked on USGS maps.

Canada along with Australia has a terrible history about that.

Oh, America also…

There are little family grave yards scattered all over America....I found one where they had buried a dead Yankee in it that was killed nearby. He has a regular .mil headstone.

Yep, on the same piece of property there were three orchards, Upper, Middle, and Lower we called them.

In the Lower orchard were the graves of Yankees/Confederates that were wounded and later died in the small homesteads that dotted the mountain where they were taken for care. They were all wounded in the Battle of Wapping Heights/Manassas Gap in 1863.

By the looks of things they were just laid upon the ground and rocks piled atop them. I counted 15 graves. The old black guy that owned the place said his father (a slave at the time) helped bury them. They just sorta planted the orchard around them. There were no markers.

I always wondered why they were not just taken by train back to DC but it was not uncommon for the wounded to crawl-off and be found, dead or alive, later, usually near water, and either cared for or buried nearby.

Sadly the CW graves were destroyed when the property was developed. I don't suspect but few folks even knew of them. At least the slave grave yard near Mosby's Shelter is marked on USGS maps.

Interesting. Our local cemetery up here in Wisconsin has one grave of a Confederate soldier who moved up here after the war. His grave has a CSA marker on it, and his name is also on the veteran's memorial wall here.

Interesting. Our local cemetery up here in Wisconsin has one grave of a Confederate soldier who moved up here after the war. His grave has a CSA marker on it, and his name is also on the veteran's memorial wall here.
All Confederates were deemed veterans of the war (not US veterans) and given the same burial rights as US veterans (other than headstone/marker type) so that's not unusual.

Forum List

Back