BREAKING: First US deaths possibly related to swine flu in LA

U.S. has first death from swine flu

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A government official confirmed the first U.S. death from the new H1N1 swine flu on Wednesday, a 23-month-old child who died in Texas.

It is the first death from swine flu reported outside Mexico, the country hardest hit by the influenza outbreak. The official gave no other details on the case. U.S. officials have confirmed 65 cases of swine flu, most of them mild.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

U.S. has first death from swine flu

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A government official confirmed the first U.S. death from the new H1N1 swine flu on Wednesday, a 23-month-old child who died in Texas.

It is the first death from swine flu reported outside Mexico, the country hardest hit by the influenza outbreak. The official gave no other details on the case. U.S. officials have confirmed 65 cases of swine flu, most of them mild.

(Reporting by Maggie Fox; Editing by Doina Chiacu)

Poor little thing.

Interesting that it should be a child. I wonder why...

Okay, so far in this thread I've come to the conclusion that we have a few posters who think that everyone in the world is an "idiot" but themselves. And we have others who in their pathological cynicism have decided that deaths in the 5-digit range will be the red flag for them. But I can tell you that I work in healthcare, and yes....you should be concerned.

We aren't being issued the "marshmallow man" suits and respirators, for no reason. This virus is spreading, at an alarming pace.

Whether or not this turns into a worldwide pandemic, remains to be seen. I realize that you think that everyone else is stupid, and that the "liberal media bias" is trying to ruin your lives, and take away your freedom.

Do some research into pandemics in history. Do something other than talk out of your backsides, and maybe, you will realize why the people who don't just think they're intelligent but are, are concerned.

Your ancestors survived the pandemics in history. Will you survive this one? Lose the arrogance.

You said it, they survived ... without any extra health care from morons trying to con us out of more money to line their already over padded pockets. They survived without any fancy medications that pharmacies will gauge the system to make huge profits on. They survived without paying doctors more money than they are worth.

It's hype, you know it, it's hype to get people to pay more for unneeded services and products ... nothing more.

Where has the media encouraged people to run out and buy anything ?

Okay, so far in this thread I've come to the conclusion that we have a few posters who think that everyone in the world is an "idiot" but themselves. And we have others who in their pathological cynicism have decided that deaths in the 5-digit range will be the red flag for them. But I can tell you that I work in healthcare, and yes....you should be concerned.

We aren't being issued the "marshmallow man" suits and respirators, for no reason. This virus is spreading, at an alarming pace.

Whether or not this turns into a worldwide pandemic, remains to be seen. I realize that you think that everyone else is stupid, and that the "liberal media bias" is trying to ruin your lives, and take away your freedom.

Do some research into pandemics in history. Do something other than talk out of your backsides, and maybe, you will realize why the people who don't just think they're intelligent but are, are concerned.

Your ancestors survived the pandemics in history. Will you survive this one? Lose the arrogance.

You said it, they survived ... without any extra health care from morons trying to con us out of more money to line their already over padded pockets. They survived without any fancy medications that pharmacies will gauge the system to make huge profits on. They survived without paying doctors more money than they are worth.

It's hype, you know it, it's hype to get people to pay more for unneeded services and products ... nothing more.

well...they do keep telling us to wash our hands. Prolly a conspiracy by the soap companies and the media is complicit.

Because they love to make a drama out of a crisis (and it isn't even a crisis...yet).

well...they do keep telling us to wash our hands. Prolly a conspiracy by the soap companies and the media is complicit.

that's it---the damn soap and water conspiracy !

Exactly - how many media reports indicating "first American death of swine flu"

This was a child from Mexico city who came into Texas seeking treatment.

Did the family enter illegally?

Were there other health issues with the Mexican child?

The media is circulating this death in a terribly irresponsible manner - again...

Exactly - how many media reports indicating "first American death of swine flu"

This was a child from Mexico city who came into Texas seeking treatment.

Did the family enter illegally?

Were there other health issues with the Mexican child?

The media is circulating this death in a terribly irresponsible manner - again...

You expected something better from the media?

You really think you have to actually buy something to pay for it?

Then what the hell is this billion dollars they're asking for?

No surprising that the first death in America is an illegal alien! They are going to flood over the border for treatment bring the plague with them! They are going to make it 10 fold worst for Americans. Illegal immigration is becoming a clear and present danger to the entire country!

Yet Napolitano is going to sit on her fat ass and no do a fucking thing! I bet right now she is preparing a speech on how she is now turning her focus right-wingers and the Canadian border. What a useless politician!

If anything screamed protecting the border today is this epidemic. Yet it still doesn't change the liberal apologist mind. NOTE: That doesn't mean stopping all immigration from South, Central American and Mexico, but we should know who is coming over our borders, especially one's carrying the plague.

I think Obama's biggest blunder in his first 100 days is definitely Napolitano!

Blame Canada.

Janet Napolitano

don't we feel safe and sanctimonious??? why sure we do! :doubt:

Which illustrates the point I had been driving at. They hype up the risks so they can increase the costs across the board, ultimately costing taxpayers a lot more than the real risk is worth. Comparing the US to Mexico is one of the tactics for blowing it out of proportion. Then they suck us dry and people buy it out of the hyped up fear.
people are buying up Tamaflu even if they are not sick
causing a shortage for those that are
this has got to the panic state because of the stupid media

there's our resident know it all.
and here is our resident know nothing at all

fuck off moron

Because they love to make a drama out of a crisis (and it isn't even a crisis...yet).
and thats exactly it

can you say "chicken little"...........

Only 7 swine flu deaths, not 152, says WHO | smh.com.au

Only 7 swine flu deaths, not 152, says WHO

Ahh - and this report gets buried because it simply is not "news".

Need any more proof we have sent too many industries out of the country?

Sanofi blueprints big vaccine plant for Mexico - FierceVaccines

So basically we rely on MEXICO for our vaccines if a flu epidemic breaks out. :clap2:

And if we ever have to go to war with China, we'll borrow the money to fight the war from them and we'll have them build all our weapons. :cuckoo:

But you right wingers don't think it is important that we manufacture anything ourselves. You don't see the down side to it. You only care about cheap goods for consumers. Well guess what? The consumers voted you out of office.

Forum List

Back