BREAKING: First US deaths possibly related to swine flu in LA

Idiots also comment on this country. Show me the Americans dropping dead and we can deal. Until then, just go away.

That's what the entire point of the story was - 2 deaths possibly linked to swine flu in the US.

why didn't the freaks wait til they had a story before they got all historical? doyathink? Drama queens one and all. hysterical,, I shudda said hysterical..
Willow - one of the reasons the doctors (no they are not stupid ignorant know nothing mouthy opinionated trash, but they are trained medical professionals who DO know their stuff - skilled and knowledgeable physicians) are so concerned about an outbreak of Swine Flu is because this strain is especilly sickening and potentially deadly to young, healthy people. Not just those with weak or weakened immune systems. it is Not the "old man's friend".
Young strong people are actually more at risk.
This virus greatly instigates the body's immune responses to a much greater degree than a cold or normal flu strains. It causes a very fast and deadly collection of fluid in the lungs, and potentially a fast death by pneumonia. 2, 3 days. Maybe 4.
The stronger a person's fluid imuno system is, the stronger the reaction and quicker and thicker and worse the fluid filling the lungs.
So, on top of being a very contagious virus, and a new virus, that can mutate to a new or multiple strains, (it could be different next week, next month, if it replicates through a large dense population)
it is behaving on the human body remarkably similar to the virus which ran rampant through the world population 1918-1020 and and killed as many as 100,000,000. They aren't sure how many died because China and India and other countries did not keep records like the US and Europe.
Young, healthy, active people are very much at risk.
Military barracks. Submarines. (1918 Flu knocked out entire military units within days, tens of thousands of American boys in tents and barracks, almost all very sick, a good percentage were dead within 2 or 3 days. Troop Ships stuffed full of troops going to and from Europe and US, (World War) quickly and suddenly full of thousands of sick young soldiers. So many died, the doctors could not treat or stop the spread, they too were sick and many medical staff died).
Any confined areas packed with teenaged to folks in their 40s.

Schools. Colleges. Buses. Commuter planes and trains. Dormitories.
Playhouses, theaters, crowded bars, festivals.

It is spring time, people are out and active, schools and colleges are in session.
Of course LA and every US city is scared.
They are terrified.

What do you think they should do ? Nothing ?
Sit around, watch tv and read stupid belligerent stuff like your posts and giggle, and ignore all they have been taught about treating and preventing disease ?

From area news. Mnay areas of the US are probably seeing local news reports of health officials
being proactive.
We can only HOPE this virus fizzles out, like SARS.
Doesn't appear to be.

R News: As It Happens, Where It Happens
Monroe County tests 5 who were in Mexico
Five Suspected Swine Flu Cases
by Diana Palotas
photo by Todd Krupa
Published Apr 28, 2009

Five local people who traveled to Mexico are waiting to hear if they have Swine Flu. Monroe County health officials say they are "suspected" cases.

Health director Dr. Andrew Doniger confirms that five people in Monroe County are suspected of having swine flu. That means they traveled to a place already affected by swine flu, and are now experiencing an acute respiratory illness and a fever.The test results for these suspected cases are expected in four or five days.

The five people being tested all traveled to Mexico last week. Three of them traveled together. The other two were single cases. They are not seriously ill and were not hospitalized. They are being told to stay home.

Doniger says health officials are making sure anyone suspected of having swine flu is isolated from others. So far, there has been no person to person transmission of the disease here or anywhere else in the U.S.

“If that were to start happening that would alert us that we have a worsening situation here," says Doniger.

The cases of Swine Flu in the U.S. have also been milder than in Mexico where people have died from the virus. Now that there is heightened awareness about it the health department says its getting dozens of calls from doctor’s offices about possible cases. Many people recently traveled to somewhere warm like Mexico or California for spring break where Swine Flu has been found.

It's important to know the flu has an incubation period. If you go 7 days after returning home without any symptoms, you probably don't have Swine Flu.

Dr. Ghinwa Dumyati is an infectious disease expert who says, “That's very important and will probably decrease the numbers of people who are worried."

The health department says it expects to hear about more suspected cases of swine flu; it plans to give updates daily.

That's what the entire point of the story was - 2 deaths possibly linked to swine flu in the US.

why didn't the freaks wait til they had a story before they got all historical? doyathink? Drama queens one and all. hysterical,, I shudda said hysterical..
Willow - one of the reasons the doctors (no they are not stupid ignorant know nothing mouthy opinionated trash, but they are trained medical professionals who DO know their stuff - skilled and knowledgeable physicians) are so concerned about an outbreak of Swine Flu is because this strain is especilly sickening and potentially deadly to young, healthy people. Not just those with weak or weakened immune systems. it is Not the "old man's friend".
Young strong people are actually more at risk.
This virus greatly instigates the body's immune responses to a much greater degree than a cold or normal flu strains. It causes a very fast and deadly collection of fluid in the lungs, and potentially a fast death by pneumonia. 2, 3 days. Maybe 4.
The stronger a person's fluid imuno system is, the stronger the reaction and quicker and thicker and worse the fluid filling the lungs.
So, on top of being a very contagious virus, and a new virus, that can mutate to a new or multiple strains, (it could be different next week, next month, if it replicates through a large dense population)
it is behaving on the human body remarkably similar to the virus which ran rampant through the world population 1918-1020 and and killed as many as 100,000,000. They aren't sure how many died because China and India and other countries did not keep records like the US and Europe.
Young, healthy, active people are very much at risk.
Military barracks. Submarines. (1918 Flu knocked out entire military units within days, tens of thousands of American boys in tents and barracks, almost all very sick, a good percentage were dead within 2 or 3 days. Troop Ships stuffed full of troops going to and from Europe and US, (World War) quickly and suddenly full of thousands of sick young soldiers. So many died, the doctors could not treat or stop the spread, they too were sick and many medical staff died).
Any confined areas packed with teenaged to folks in their 40s.

Schools. Colleges. Buses. Commuter planes and trains. Dormitories.
Playhouses, theaters, crowded bars, festivals.

It is spring time, people are out and active, schools and colleges are in session.
Of course LA and every US city is scared.
They are terrified.

What do you think they should do ? Nothing ? Nope! didn't say that
Sit around, watch tv and read stupid belligerent stuff like your posts and giggle, and ignore all they have been taught about treating and preventing disease ? I already told ya what they should do,, they should wait til they have something of substance to report on and not scare the crap outta people for no reason like they did they year there was a shortage of flu vaccine. what part of that did you not understand the first time I said it. Should I talk slower???

Can you hear me now???

A few people .... compared to the thousands that die in the US from cancer ... and the causes of death were "related" ... money grubbing politicians and health care industry, nothing more. I'll worry when half the country has it and half those people die from it directly.

A few people .... compared to the thousands that die in the US from cancer ... and the causes of death were "related" ... money grubbing politicians and health care industry, nothing more. I'll worry when half the country has it and half those people die from it directly.

Is that about the same time that you think this will be news worthy? :lol:

The Stand! Ever read it? :lol:

The Stand! Ever read it? :lol:

Fictional book based on another story by Lovecraft ... yes. Not as feasible as you would think.

We have several thousand cases of flu every year. This country worries more about it and reports and tests it better than any other country in the world. We know Mexico has had fatalities. We have no idea what percentage of those infected suffered fatalities or what percentage of those who suffered fatalities did so because they waited too late to get medical treatment.

It is way to early in the game to be worrying about a 1918 style flustravaganza.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it 50 million ought to be more than enough to deal with the problem regardless.

Oh for fucks sake.. the goddamn first line says

The Los Angeles County coroner's office is investigating two recent deaths that officials say could be related to the recent global swine flu outbreak. However, no tests have come back positive for the swine flu, and medical examiners have not officially determined what caused the deaths

jeezus this country is run by idiots.:lol:

Interesting, because the last administration was supported by idiots.

We have several thousand cases of flu every year. This country worries more about it and reports and tests it better than any other country in the world. We know Mexico has had fatalities. We have no idea what percentage of those infected suffered fatalities or what percentage of those who suffered fatalities did so because they waited too late to get medical treatment.

It is way to early in the game to be worrying about a 1918 style flustravaganza.

Oh and while I'm thinking about it 50 million ought to be more than enough to deal with the problem regardless.

Which illustrates the point I had been driving at. They hype up the risks so they can increase the costs across the board, ultimately costing taxpayers a lot more than the real risk is worth. Comparing the US to Mexico is one of the tactics for blowing it out of proportion. Then they suck us dry and people buy it out of the hyped up fear.

Which illustrates the point I had been driving at. They hype up the risks so they can increase the costs across the board, ultimately costing taxpayers a lot more than the real risk is worth. Comparing the US to Mexico is one of the tactics for blowing it out of proportion. Then they suck us dry and people buy it out of the hyped up fear.
people are buying up Tamaflu even if they are not sick
causing a shortage for those that are
this has got to the panic state because of the stupid media

Not to mention that the virus will mutate accommodating for the anti-virals.

Okay, so far in this thread I've come to the conclusion that we have a few posters who think that everyone in the world is an "idiot" but themselves. And we have others who in their pathological cynicism have decided that deaths in the 5-digit range will be the red flag for them. But I can tell you that I work in healthcare, and yes....you should be concerned.

We aren't being issued the "marshmallow man" suits and respirators, for no reason. This virus is spreading, at an alarming pace.

Whether or not this turns into a worldwide pandemic, remains to be seen. I realize that you think that everyone else is stupid, and that the "liberal media bias" is trying to ruin your lives, and take away your freedom.

Do some research into pandemics in history. Do something other than talk out of your backsides, and maybe, you will realize why the people who don't just think they're intelligent but are, are concerned.

Your ancestors survived the pandemics in history. Will you survive this one? Lose the arrogance.

Okay, so far in this thread I've come to the conclusion that we have a few posters who think that everyone in the world is an "idiot" but themselves. And we have others who in their pathological cynicism have decided that deaths in the 5-digit range will be the red flag for them. But I can tell you that I work in healthcare, and yes....you should be concerned.

We aren't being issued the "marshmallow man" suits and respirators, for no reason. This virus is spreading, at an alarming pace.

Whether or not this turns into a worldwide pandemic, remains to be seen. I realize that you think that everyone else is stupid, and that the "liberal media bias" is trying to ruin your lives, and take away your freedom.

Do some research into pandemics in history. Do something other than talk out of your backsides, and maybe, you will realize why the people who don't just think they're intelligent but are, are concerned.

Your ancestors survived the pandemics in history. Will you survive this one? Lose the arrogance.
the media has hyped this
that is the point
people are scared and they are buying tamaflu up and they dont even need it, it wont keep them from getting the flu
and the people that need it wont be able to get it cause of the panic buying
there needs to be a warning sent out to doctors to stop giving the priscriptions unless they are already sick

the media has hyped this
that is the point
people are scared and they are buying tamaflu up and they dont even need it, it wont keep them from getting the flu
and the people that need it wont be able to get it cause of the panic buying
there needs to be a warning sent out to doctors to stop giving the priscriptions unless they are already sick

people who take the media seriously are sick already.

there's our resident know it all.

You said it, they survived ... without any extra health care from morons trying to con us out of more money to line their already over padded pockets. They survived without any fancy medications that pharmacies will gauge the system to make huge profits on. They survived without paying doctors more money than they are worth.

It's hype, you know it, it's hype to get people to pay more for unneeded services and products ... nothing more.

Forum List

Back