Boycott BP

So does the President bear responsibility for every single tort that happens under his watch?

Did he, or did he not, agree to the drilling. Him. Personally. Not that he left in place an agreement from the previous administration.... but he, as an actual individual. He agreed the drilling. He could have regulated and chose not to.

Fucking idiots who cherry pick for partisan politics are scum. That's you.

Great... Then this question should be reasonable. Where is the timeline in all of this?

A rig just doesn't appear out of no where...or no when. When was the rig placed? When was the lease leased? So on and so on... Strangly a COMPLETE and coherant timeline seems difficult to google. Without one blame is impossible to lay.

So those that are jumping to blame BP are.... in fact.... WRONG.

How about we prohibit off-shore drilling TOTALLY? Make the oil companies dismantle the freaking rigs? Given that the Alaska Pipeline is now like 30 years old and has a decent track record, "DRILL IN ALASKA" together with a REAL push towards reducing energy waste?

I happen to think if Tom Hayward got the needle, fewer oil spills would occur. Even making him do a 20 year stretch would have the desired detterent effect. I bet that would chill a helluva lot of reckless conduct. Merely because a regulation hammered out by Big Oil's lobbyists says something is adequate does NOT alter the laws of physics...a thing which explodes and belches millions of gallons of oil on the oceans is NOT SAFE.

I would have a freaking solar power thingie on my roof if one were available at a cost that made sense. How is it we can seriously be discussing putting a Man on Mars and yet wind and solar technology have made so few strides? Oil and coal continue to be consumed because Big Oil and Big Coal profit from it, not because us little people don't wish for better.

If ignorance is bliss you must float on cloud 9, and seem quite content to revel in it.

Last edited:
Its not the fault of the people who gave the lease its the fault of the idiots who are sucking the oil out.

Nope. Obama should have regulated the industry. He chose not to. Un-fucking-lucky. He could have forced more stringent safety measures. He chose not to. Un-fucking-lucky.

Your boy king is partially responsible. Ha ha ha.

You don't help the Democratic cause by jumping to conclusions before the investigation has even started. Moron. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

and I asked you how will piling on more regulation have prevented this spill....or are you too intellectually challenged to make a coherent argument in your own favor....I used your source to PROVE MY CONSENSUS that existing regulations are satisfactory according to the Dept. of the Interior....

Now debate your side or SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!

Still waiting DoucheTuba

That's absolutely true. Campaign contributions are nothing to do with this. But.... Obama signed off on the drilling - and he did not regulate the industry prior to sign off. He's as responsible as BP, Transocean, the states and the American people who want cheap gas.

As President, he must take accountability, but he most certainly is not responsible.

My point is that he does bear some responsibility. No matter whether it turns out to be BP's or Transocean's fault or, as is more likely, a combination of both, the President did not regulate before he agreed the drilling.

I am fascinated that the rabid left refuse to recognize that. You can bet your last dime that, if there was a GOP POTUS, they'd be howling for his blood.

Probably there would, but this entire conversation leads to a simple fact that there are hundreds of "regulations" that undoubtedly need updating. Maybe we need to expand government :)lol:) to include a new agency. We could call it "Department of Regulatory Auditing" and staff it with a few more thousand government employees! [Just pointing out the impossibility of getting everything right, all the time in order to cover all conceivable events, whether caused by the government, the private sector, or an Act of God.]

As President, he must take accountability, but he most certainly is not responsible.

My point is that he does bear some responsibility. No matter whether it turns out to be BP's or Transocean's fault or, as is more likely, a combination of both, the President did not regulate before he agreed the drilling.

I am fascinated that the rabid left refuse to recognize that. You can bet your last dime that, if there was a GOP POTUS, they'd be howling for his blood.

Probably there would, but this entire conversation leads to a simple fact that there are hundreds of "regulations" that undoubtedly need updating. Maybe we need to expand government :)lol:) to include a new agency. We could call it "Department of Regulatory Auditing" and staff it with a few more thousand government employees! [Just pointing out the impossibility of getting everything right, all the time in order to cover all conceivable events, whether caused by the government, the private sector, or an Act of God.]

That's a typical liberal response. :lol::lol: More regulation! We need more people! :lol::lol: Actually, just enforce the regulations that already existed. That would have been pretty simple. And effective. Too easy?

and I asked you how will piling on more regulation have prevented this spill....or are you too intellectually challenged to make a coherent argument in your own favor....I used your source to PROVE MY CONSENSUS that existing regulations are satisfactory according to the Dept. of the Interior....

Now debate your side or SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!

Still waiting DoucheTuba

Maybe he's chosen option b.... Shute the Fuck Up. :lol::lol:

Its not the fault of the people who gave the lease its the fault of the idiots who are sucking the oil out.

Nope. Obama should have regulated the industry. He chose not to. Un-fucking-lucky. He could have forced more stringent safety measures. He chose not to. Un-fucking-lucky.

Your boy king is partially responsible. Ha ha ha.

You don't help the Democratic cause by jumping to conclusions before the investigation has even started. Moron. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

For all we know, tighter regulations were part of compromising on allowing offshore drilling, but I am 500% sure the Republicans in Congress would have just...said...no. Opening areas for new offshore drilling was a major concession by Obama, so something happened behind the scenes. It always does when an about-face like that occurs. I'm not stating that as fact, it's just a guess, but you have to recognize that the American people are NOT privy to every single phone call, meeting, e-mail, briefing, whatever. A lot goes on that we are not aware of, obviously. So all this presumption about who did what and when regarding the safeguards is just that. Guesswork.

That's a typical liberal response. :lol::lol: More regulation! We need more people! :lol::lol: Actually, just enforce the regulations that already existed. That would have been pretty simple. And effective. Too easy?

I was being facetious. But but but, I thought the outrage here is that the regulations needed upgrading not enforcing the ones we had. No?

I was being facetious. But but but, I thought the outrage here is that the regulations needed upgrading not enforcing the ones we had. No?

So was I, Mags. There is no doubt that Obama should have ensured appropriate regs before he signed off on the drilling. Simple fact.

Now, we need to face reality. As long as we are addicted to oil, we will have to drill offshore. If we don't, it won't matter anyway because other countries will. The Chinese are, I think, about to start drilling near Cuba. What happens if that goes horribly wrong? Offshore drilling comes with huge risks... disasters like this are rare but they can happen. It is the risk we run for oil. That is not likely to change.

Whining about it and calling for the death of their CEO (I know you haven't but others on here have) is just laughable. The states affected by the spill were very keen to welcome the driling - and the money that would have come along with it. It's ridiculous to rant about it cuz it's gone wrong.

Can I get a little help here. I've been trying to find a timeline or even a scrap of info about the Deepwater Horizon rigs shedule in the Mississippi trench. NADA! All this discussion about BP liability or Obama responsibility means nothing without a timeline.

When was the lease approved? Who signed off on it? When was the rig put in place? When did drilling actually begin?

These should be the most important questions to be answered and as yet no one seems troubled that they are not addressed.

Last edited:
Can I get a little help here. I've been trying to find a timeline or even a scrap of info about the Deepwater Horizon rigs shedule in the Mississippi trench. NADA! All this discussion about BP liability or Obama responsibility means nothing without a timeline.

When was the lease approved? Who signed off on it? When was the rig put in place? When did drilling actually begin?

These should be the most important questions to be answered and as yet no one seems troubled that they are not addressed.

The only info I have is not sourceable. It's from contacts within the environmental research sector, so I'm not posting it.... because someone will scream 'source' at me, and I can't source it. It's good enough for me though.

Suffice to say, IN MY OPINION, both the previous Administration and the current Administration appear to hold some responsibility.

The only info I have is not sourceable. It's from contacts within the environmental research sector, so I'm not posting it.... because someone will scream 'source' at me, and I can't source it. It's good enough for me though.

Suffice to say, IN MY OPINION, both the previous Administration and the current Administration appear to hold some responsibility.

That is what I suspected. What is strange and troubling to me is the total absence of good info on a topic that should be a thousand hits deep on google by now. I'm not a conspiracy tin foil kinda guy. BUT..I appears that the info is scrubbed. I mean come on! With the MILLIONS of queries on this incident no one has assembled a decent time line?

Isn't that beyond the pale odd?

That is what I suspected. What is strange and troubling to me is the total absence of good info on a topic that should be a thousand hits deep on google by now. I'm not a conspiracy tin foil kinda guy. BUT..I appears that the info is scrubbed. I mean come on! With the MILLIONS of queries on this incident no one has assembled a decent time line?

It is odd that no journalists seem to be asking that kind of question.

Maybe I'll ask the environmental researchers whether they've been approached by journalists about it. Be interesting to know.... because they are the source that the journalists would go to.

Maybe I'll ask the environmental researchers whether they've been approached by journalists about it. Be interesting to know.... because they are the source that the journalists would go to.

Is this it?

Transocean :: Deepwater Horizon

Is this it?

Nope...interesting close up of the rig but the big whoop everyone seems to be interested in is who is respnsible for what...when the lease was leased...who signed off on the drill... When the rig was placed...and when actual drilling began..Knowing those fascts makes all this hand wringing in whatever direction you wring your hands alot more credible.

Is this it?

Nope...interesting close up of the rig but the big whoop everyone seems to be interested in is who is respnsible for what...when the lease was leased...who signed off on the drill... When the rig was placed...and when actual drilling began..Knowing those fascts makes all this hand wringing in whatever direction you wring your hands alot more credible.

Well maybe their home page will give you a clue where to look at least (although I'm sure this is all puffery):

Transocean :: Our Company

I wouldn't know what lingo to use to find the information you seek, so good luck. If you find a good set of words to Google, you might have to go through several pages way beyond the current event.

I don't know how to go about seeking vengence on BP for desecration of the Gulf. I am beside myself. My best friend #3 was going to St. George Island with her family for Mother's Day this weekend. But they will probably cancel because the oil slick will have reached those sugary sand beaches by then.

About a month after the ocean's shores have been befouled, the inland waterways will begin showing the devasation. The Wakulla River, where my kidlet taught me to canoe. The St. John's River, where we hung out in a biker bar in St. Mark's on Fridays after work, eating broiled shrimp and drinking cheap beer, just watching the Earth do it's thing.

Eventually the oil will travel the underground and above-ground aquifer to every Florida body of water, including the beleagered Everglades...a natural phenomena unparrelled on Planet Earth and precious not only to Florida, but to the entire Planet for the role it plays in our wildlife, ecosystem and so on.

Death would not be too severe a punishment for BP's CEO, as I see it.

Don't buy BP gasoline!​

Try to boycott, especially if you are purchasing large quantities for a commercial trucking, farming or airline business.

I welcome any additional ideas on how to afflict BP.

I am just heart broken. I cannot tell you what this preventable insult to the Earth will be like for all of Florida, and beyond.

Yea, lets all boycott BP and just buy all our oil and fuel from other companies that get their oil by drilling for it. That'll show the BIG OIL industry! :cuckoo:

How about we prohibit off-shore drilling TOTALLY? Make the oil companies dismantle the freaking rigs? Given that the Alaska Pipeline is now like 30 years old and has a decent track record, "DRILL IN ALASKA" together with a REAL push towards reducing energy waste?

I happen to think if Tom Hayward got the needle, fewer oil spills would occur. Even making him do a 20 year stretch would have the desired detterent effect. I bet that would chill a helluva lot of reckless conduct. Merely because a regulation hammered out by Big Oil's lobbyists says something is adequate does NOT alter the laws of physics...a thing which explodes and belches millions of gallons of oil on the oceans is NOT SAFE.

I would have a freaking solar power thingie on my roof if one were available at a cost that made sense. How is it we can seriously be discussing putting a Man on Mars and yet wind and solar technology have made so few strides? Oil and coal continue to be consumed because Big Oil and Big Coal profit from it, not because us little people don't wish for better.

If ignorance is bliss you must float on cloud 9, and seem quite content to revel in it.

Kiss mah azz, WBooth. I have sat and listened as lobbyists for Big Oil pleaded with Florida legislators to allow more rigs near that state's shoreline. What they say in public is nauseating enough. What goes on behind closed doors or after hours rivals a scene from "Caligulla".

If you need a BJ or a kneecapper to persuade legislators to see things your way, that may be a Clue That Your Are An Ethical Seephole.

BP fucking knew....EVERYONE knew. A freaking first grader would have known.

Forum List

Back