Boy Given Zero on Assignment

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by BrianH, Apr 1, 2008.

1. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,344350,00.html

I'm not sure if this thread should be on the the Law and Justice System category, or will end up in the Religion category, but here goes.

What I don't understand, is how his own drawing is affecting other students and taking away their rights....?

2. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,012
    I like the picture.

[​IMG]

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    My son got threatened with suspension for drawing a pentagram on his notebook. I told him that it was his choice to attend public school, deal.

4. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Well, the majority of kids that attend public school don't have a choice. They're parents can't afford to send them to private school. And where I live, there are no private schools. (in the area). The fact is, this boys drawing did not negatively affect anyone. It was not a political or religious campaign to convert people to Christianity. This boy was purely expressing himself through his art-work, nothing more.

5. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,707
    I'm inclined to agree with you on this one. If the information in the article is accurate, then it seems that enforcement of the alleged no-religion policy is sporadic at best and that this kid was singled out specifically for his expressions of Christianity.

6. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,427
    My first instinct was that the teacher was OTT. But, the question is, did he fulfill the assignment or did he do what HE wanted to do? I don't think that's particularly clear.

7. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,707
    I think it's pretty clear that he did both.

8. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    Regardless, the kid apparently signed a paper stating he wouldn't do this...it's not clear why there are other religious icons in the school though.

9. BrianH

BrianH Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Yeah I agree that he should not have signed the paper if he intended on creating art displaying his faith (though I wonder if he'd been allowed to even participate if he hadn't signed the paper). And the other thing that you mentioned was the other religious icons. It seems theirs a double-standard going on at that school.

10. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I used to draw demonic images all the time. Then again, this was smack dab in the middle of when metal ruled the world...

anyway, if the situation happened like was described in the article not only would the torn up policy be total bullshit but I give the kid kudos for sticking up for his rights... especially in an art class. His drawing would not restrict any other student at all and only hands ammo to people who are otherwise looking for any excuse to, uh, demonize public education. I'm certainly not ready to confuse ID with science but if a student wants to draw a cross in art class then so be it. If a group of christians want to pray around the flagpole then go for it. If you want to pray over lunch and read the bible in study hall then more power to ya.

For you thumpers that enjoy reading about antagonist educators fucking with christians I highly recommend Frank Peretti's "This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" books. Easily the christian Stephen King and worth checking out.