Bowe Bergdahl: Considering the Evidence before us

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Alright, lets get some things straight here. Until the evidence is tried in a military court, and Bergdahl is tried in a military court; neither the evidence or what his fellow platoon mates say will mean much of anything. However, if we wanted to consider the evidence and the testimony of his fellow platoon mates, or his actions leading up to his alleged desertion, we need to focus on two things, his capture, and release:

June 27, 2009: Bergdahl sends a final e-mail to his parents, indicating that he was "ashamed to be an American."

The future is too good to waste on lies. And life is way too short to care for the damnation of others, as well as to spend it helping fools with their ideas that are wrong. I have seen their ideas and I am ashamed to even be american.[sic] The horror of the self-righteous arrogance that they thrive in. It is all revolting.
June 30, 2009: Bergdahl is captured by Taliban insurgents after allegedly lagging behind in a patrol.

A few days later, according to Former Army Sgt. Evan Buetow, on the night and day of his capture, Bergdahl crawled away from the base, seeking talks with the Taliban. His (Buetow's) unit intercepted radio chatter indicating that he wished to do so. Bergdahl allegedly leaves a note behind that night indicating he wished to 'lead a new life.' Two days ago Nathan Bradley Bethea, a member of Bergdahl's battalion wrote an article in the Daily Beast that there had been no patrol on the night of his capture. A Pentagon investigation of Bergdahl's capture in 2010 reveals that he walked away from his unit. The US Military chooses not to exert any effort in pursuit.

Bowe Bergdahl 'Sought Taliban Talks': Former Team Leader - Business Insider

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/u...idaho-pow-vanished-angered-his-unit.html?_r=0

We Lost Soldiers in the Hunt for Bergdahl, a Guy Who Walked Off in the Dead of Night - The Daily Beast

U.S. concluded in 2010 that Bergdahl walked away

On May 31, 2014, after negotiations with the Taliban, Bergdahl is released in exchange for five high profile Taliban combatants. From then on, a firestorm begins to brew over how the Obama Administration procured his release. That afternoon, Obama holds a surprise press conference in the Rose Garden. Attending is Bowe's father, Robert and his mother. Most notably here is Robert, who has noticeably grown a long beard. In his statements he is heard speaking in the Pashto language. Three days earlier, he releases a tweet he later deletes:

free-guantanimo-prisoners-tweet-zigler-630x327.png

Speculation now swirls that Robert is an Islamic sympathizer, further raising suspicions that Bowe not only deserted his unit, but may have been collaborating with the Taliban. According to Fox News, a source familiar with the DoD confirmed that there is a considerable file on Bergdahl, and that there had been mounting concerns that Bergdahl may committed treason.

A senior official confirms to Fox News that the conduct of Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl — both in his final stretch of active duty in Afghanistan and then, too, during his time when he lived among the Taliban — has been thoroughly investigated by the U.S. intelligence community and is the subject of “a major classified file.”
In conveying as much, the Defense Department source confirmed to Fox News that many within the intelligence community harbor serious outstanding concerns not only that Bergdahl may have been a deserter but that he may have been an active collaborator with the enemy.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...nce-community-investigated-bergdahls-conduct/

Given what we know now, Bergdahl can be tried for desertion. The Pentagon has already investigated and concluded that he committed a violation of Article 85 of the UCMJ. Now, Obama is facing a bipartisan firestorm for allegedly breaking the law to release the 5 men in exchange for Bergdahl and this has all the makings of a scandal. But I must contend, this evidence is nothing but speculative until tried and tested in a court of law. I ask you to consider these facts before jumping to any conclusions, as I have so often been told over the past couple of days.

(Note to the Moderators: if this is deemed a similar thread to the other two, please feel free to merge them. Thank you.)

Last edited:
your point?

must be nice to be able to be critical of anyone in uniform while hiding in your basement.....i dont know what happened with this young man ...i do know at one time he was willing to step up and defend his country....more action than you have taken....btw...and then something went terribly wrong....

i do not expect to hear the truth from the government...we never have why expect it now...

pat tillman

The left won't consider it as they hate our nation. They hate that there's a concept of a nation and we don't get with the taliban, and have butt sex.

This is as far as I can get with the far lefts thinking on this.[/QUOTE

and you are an idiot for thinking this is anything to do with partisan politics.....

your point?

must be nice to be able to be critical of anyone in uniform while hiding in your basement.....i dont know what happened with this young man ...i do know at one time he was willing to step up and defend his country....more action than you have taken....btw...and then something went terribly wrong....

i do not expect to hear the truth from the government...we never have why expect it now...

pat tillman

My point? Is that there is evidence pointing to Bergdahl being a traitor, to disgracing the uniform he wore. My father served, Bones. Desert Storm. Just about everyone on my side of the family from WWII on served, Dead or Alive. So forgive me, but I have a very unique perspective on the matter.

Last edited:
AHEM! Attention everyone! AHEM!

We, being fair-minded Americans, must not judge this man before he has had his day in court. Let's be clear!

AHEM!

Now....having said that....allow me to list every possible rumor and bit of hearsay that I can find on the internets so as to establish his guilt for all to see!!

Alas....and.....er..... To Wit!

The left won't consider it as they hate our nation. They hate that there's a concept of a nation and we don't get with the taliban, and have butt sex.

This is as far as I can get with the far lefts thinking on this.[/QUOTE

and you are an idiot for thinking this is anything to do with partisan politics.....

What else is it??? The left sure is attacking anyone that points out what this asshole did. You see nothing wrong with it.

your point?

pat tillman

My point? Is that there is evidence pointing to Bergdahl being a traitor, to disgracing the uniform he wore. My father served, Bones. Desert Storm. Just about everyone on my side of the family from WWII on served, Dead or Alive. So forgive me, but I have a very unique perspective on the matter.

No.....you do not have a unique perspective on the matter. You are a tool of epic proportions to think for a moment that you do.

We, being fair-minded Americans, must not judge this man before he has had his day in court. Let's be clear!

AHEM!

Now....having said that....allow me to list every possible rumor and bit of hearsay that I can find on the internets so as to establish his guilt for all to see!!

The OP is the master of innuendo, character assassination, and poisoning the well.

your point?

pat tillman

You have a disingenuous, partisan ‘perspective’ on the matter.

your point?

pat tillman

you cannot live on the laurels of your father....you do know that correct....

and before you start with your bs....my father was a veteran too

You all ease up on the Temple of Shit. It could have been HIM in Afghanistan. Oh wait a minute. It couldn't have been Temple. He has been found not fit to serve.

He deserves time to be debriefed, his day in court, etc.

Having said that, it looks pretty clear that this guy deserted his fellow soldiers.

Hard for me to believe that a young man who did what most of you posters either didn't do or couldn't do, put his life on the line for his country, has had something go wrong with his head and is now being condemned for his actions.

To those that claim to love and support the military and are now condemning this young man; fuck off.

He deserves time to be debriefed, his day in court, etc.

Having said that, it looks pretty clear that this guy deserted his fellow soldiers.

The question is will this administration let it come to a court-martial?

They have vested interest in sweeping any negatives in this story under the rug, and we have seen that they will bend or break the rules as they see fit to get their objectives.

His fellow soldiers are the ones condemning him.

They are the ones who brought his desertion into the spotlight.

Are you saying they haven't the right to speak out?

Is anyone here calling them liars?

Because the guy left a note announcing his intention to desert.

You Obama sycophants need to get your priorities straight.

When you attempt to dispute documented facts, your'll get your ass handed to you every time.

AHEM!

So you stand with me against the killing of Americans ANYWHERE without IMMEDIATE threat and without due process?

Say yes brother, let us stand against such usurping of the law.

AHEM!

The OP is the master of innuendo, character assassination, and poisoning the well.

Like you just did...right?

i have mixed feeling about the whole thing....seems a young man who stepped up to serve his country got in the mist of war and did not find it to his liking....naive on his part at best....but i think he became disillusioned like many have become serving in the needless war in afghanistan....history is on their side...the russians could not defeat them and they learned a lot fighting the russians....

now for this young man....i will wait and see what facts come out...so far all we have to go on is hear say....if he was awol then he should be prosecuted for that.....why was he promoted twice while a captive there are a lot of questions....about him...

but to hear people say they have creds cause their dad served is a little beyond me....to see someone hiding in their basement being so condemning of someone who stepped up and went to war...perhaps the bowe is a total failure but he did try....more than you can say for the op

Forum List

Back