Bomber kills 11 at Iraqi Army Day event

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
Associated Press

BAGHDAD - Two Iraqi army soldiers threw themselves atop a suicide bomber, but the attacker was able to detonate an explosives vest, killing the two soldiers and another nine people attending a gathering commemorating Iraq's Army Day, the U.S. military and police said.

Among the dead were four police officers, three Iraqi soldiers and four civilians, a police officer said on condition of anonymity as he was not authorized to speak to the media. He said at least 17 other people were injured in the attack, which took place around 12:30 p.m. local time.

The U.S. military said that four people were killed and four injured. The reason for the discrepancy in the casualty figures was not immediately known.

"The selfless sacrifice of the two Iraqi jundis (soldiers) should not be forgotten. These two Iraqi martyrs gave their lives so that others might live," the U.S. military said in a statement.

more ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22524574/

In contrast to the thread about an insurgent murdering US troops.

I sent this Email to my Congressional Representative 3 January 2008:

Journalists Richard Oppel Jr. and Qais Mizher wrote for the New York Times 2 January 2008: "Thirty people were killed Tuesday when a suicide bomber strode into a gathering of mourners at a home in eastern Baghdad and detonated an explosives-packed vest, the Interior Ministry said. It was the most brazen and deadly attack in the capital in months. The force of the blast scattered severed arms and legs about the site of the attack, a house where scores of friends and relatives had gathered to pay tribute to a man killed three days earlier by a car bomb in Tayaran Square in central Baghdad."

Journalist Stephen Farrell wrote for the New York Times 31 December 2007: "It falls to Baghdad’s street sweepers to pick up the fingertips and scraps of flesh left behind after the emergency workers haul away the torsos and heads of bombing victims. They do the job without gloves, in all but the coldest weeks of winter."

Journalist Stephen Farrell wrote for the New York Times 29 December 2007: "A car bomber killed 8 people and wounded 66 in Baghdad on Friday, timing the blast to catch people emerging from prayers on the Muslim holy day and setting off the explosives directly under a mural of doves of peace."

On the date 13 April 2007, I sent to you the following Email:
--------------------------------------------
Journalist Alissa J. Rubin wrote for the New York Times 12 April 2007: "A suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest struck deep inside the heavily fortified International Zone on Thursday, killing eight people when he detonated inside the Parliament building just a few feet from the main chamber. In a separate and in some ways equally traumatic attack early in the day, a truck bomb destroyed the beloved, 60-year-old Sarafiya bridge across the Tigris and killed six people. The heavily traveled bridge has long been a symbol of Baghdad, illustrated on old postcards and drawings of the city from a more peaceful time."

Journalist Eric Lipton wrote for the New York Times 2 March 2007: "Nearly 240 million Americans and legal residents will have to spend an estimated $20 more for a standardized and tamper-proof driver’s license by 2013 to comply with a proposed new federal rule issued Thursday. Congress imposed the mandate for the new licenses in 2005, agreeing with the 9/11 Commission that terrorists’ access to fake licenses or state-issued identification cards made the 2001 plot easier to carry out."

Before this National ID Card is used in the United States, I am suggesting that it be issued in Iraq for a test run to see if it is effective. If it is not effective, then it would most certainly not be very effective here in the United States, and the legislation requiring it should be repealed.

Either the National ID has not been implemented in Iraq, as I had suggested, or it is not working. Which is it?

Journalists Richard Oppel Jr. and Qais Mizher wrote for the New York Times 2 January 2008: "Thirty people were killed Tuesday when a suicide bomber strode into a gathering of mourners at a home in eastern Baghdad and detonated an explosives-packed vest, the Interior Ministry said. It was the most brazen and deadly attack in the capital in months. The force of the blast scattered severed arms and legs about the site of the attack, a house where scores of friends and relatives had gathered to pay tribute to a man killed three days earlier by a car bomb in Tayaran Square in central Baghdad."

Journalist Stephen Farrell wrote for the New York Times 31 December 2007: "It falls to Baghdad’s street sweepers to pick up the fingertips and scraps of flesh left behind after the emergency workers haul away the torsos and heads of bombing victims. They do the job without gloves, in all but the coldest weeks of winter."

Journalist Stephen Farrell wrote for the New York Times 29 December 2007: "A car bomber killed 8 people and wounded 66 in Baghdad on Friday, timing the blast to catch people emerging from prayers on the Muslim holy day and setting off the explosives directly under a mural of doves of peace."

Journalist Alissa J. Rubin wrote for the New York Times 12 April 2007: "A suicide bomber wearing an explosive vest struck deep inside the heavily fortified International Zone on Thursday, killing eight people when he detonated inside the Parliament building just a few feet from the main chamber. In a separate and in some ways equally traumatic attack early in the day, a truck bomb destroyed the beloved, 60-year-old Sarafiya bridge across the Tigris and killed six people. The heavily traveled bridge has long been a symbol of Baghdad, illustrated on old postcards and drawings of the city from a more peaceful time."

Journalist Eric Lipton wrote for the New York Times 2 March 2007: "Nearly 240 million Americans and legal residents will have to spend an estimated $20 more for a standardized and tamper-proof driver’s license by 2013 to comply with a proposed new federal rule issued Thursday. Congress imposed the mandate for the new licenses in 2005, agreeing with the 9/11 Commission that terrorists’ access to fake licenses or state-issued identification cards made the 2001 plot easier to carry out."

Before this National ID Card is used in the United States, I am suggesting that it be issued in Iraq for a test run to see if it is effective. If it is not effective, then it would most certainly not be very effective here in the United States, and the legislation requiring it should be repealed.

Either the National ID has not been implemented in Iraq, as I had suggested, or it is not working. Which is it?

GET USED TO IT IF MCAIN GETS ELECTED THIS WILL HAPPEN EVERY DAY FOR THE NEXT 100 YEARS

HAS to be the "not working" thing.:lol:

Forum List

Back