Boehner's Plan B fails

I don't get it.
The only choice the GOP has is to let the Democrats pass anything they want to avoid the "cliff". Just vote present and put the whole thing in the backs of the Democrats.
After it fails in a year make sure everyone knows who voted for it and who didn't.

A few ideologues in the House have slapped down the Speaker's attempt to pressure the President and avoid the fiscal cliff because it would raise taxes on people making more than a million dollars.

Is the GOP TRYING to commit political suicide?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/u...?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121221&_r=0

Failed is putting it mildly. Boehner may have taken down the Republican party single handidly with this attempted bluff.

Obama is holding all the cards now and he doesn't have to give up anything.

I don't get it.
The only choice the GOP has is to let the Democrats pass anything they want to avoid the "cliff". Just vote present and put the whole thing in the backs of the Democrats.
After it fails in a year make sure everyone knows who voted for it and who didn't.

This actually may be what he's doing. Don't know if it will work, but he's pretty much out of options.

No, some of them are actually trying to do what they were sent there to do, hold the line on tax and spending increases.

This is what this country needs right now, period, nothing else is going to help, so why do people think that's a bad thing?

I don't get it. Do people really WANT to see obama and the democrats accelerate the imploding of our economy? Is your obama phone really worth that much to you that you'd prefer that and watch America go bankrupt? Where are you people's heads at?

Last edited:

No, some of them are actually trying to do what they were sent there to do, hold the line on tax and spending increases.

This is what this country needs right now, period, nothing else is going to help, so why do people think that's a bad thing?

I don't get it. Do people really WANT to see obama and the democrats accelerate the imploding of our economy? Is your obama phone really worth that much to you that you'd prefer that and watch America go bankrupt? Where are you people's heads at?

You do realize, I hope, that they don't make a deal before the "cliff" comes, YOUR personal taxes are going up by several thousand dollars and every department of government, including DOD, will suffer a drastic hit in their budgets. There's a good chance you'll see a reduction in your Social Security or VA check (if you get one), road projects will just lie there unfinished, police, fire departments and schools won't get the money they need to operated efficiently, the stock market is likely to tank and millions more American's lose their jobs.

Is that worth making a political statement to you? Is it worth taking down the whole country?

A few ideologues in the House have slapped down the Speaker's attempt to pressure the President and avoid the fiscal cliff because it would raise taxes on people making more than a million dollars.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/21/u...?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_th_20121221&_r=0

Failed is putting it mildly. Boehner may have taken down the Republican party single handidly with this attempted bluff.

yeah, Obama holds all the cards whether they are good for the Amercian people and country OR NOT..
but you ObamaBots don't care

yeah, Obama holds all the cards whether they are good for the Amercian people and country OR NOT..

The reason it failed is because Conservatives understand that Boehner is only working for the extremist teaparty and not their constituents who will ultimately vote them in or out in 2014.

You do realize, I hope, that they don't make a deal before the "cliff" comes, YOUR personal taxes are going up by several thousand dollars and every department of government, including DOD, will suffer a drastic hit in their budgets. There's a good chance you'll see a reduction in your Social Security or VA check (if you get one), road projects will just lie there unfinished, police, fire departments and schools won't get the money they need to operated efficiently, the stock market is likely to tank and millions more American's lose their jobs.

Is that worth making a political statement to you? Is it worth taking down the whole country?

CaptainHyperbole![1].jpg

The reason it failed is because Conservatives understand that Boehner is only working for the extremist teaparty and not their constituents who will ultimately vote them in or out in 2014.

In the first place, I'd challenge you to find any REAL Conservatives in the Republican Party today, but that would be a subject for another time.

In any case, you've completely misread what's going on in the House.

Boehner was given the speakership by the party's old guard and he only had one job to do: restrain the Tea Party troglodytes until Obama could be voted out of office. The party insiders, bag men and corporate sponsors were, and are, afraid of the real Tea Partiers (most of those elected under the Tea Party banner are not real, but some are), but they wanted the votes of their supporters until the time came to ditch them.

But, that time never came. The party, their sponsors, and especially the Koch brothers faction of Neo-Fascist's, poured everything they had into defeating Obama. They literally threw the kitchen sink at him, telling any lie, obstructing any bill, spreading any rumor. They spent billions....and failed.

Now, the old guard doesn't know what to do. If they side with the Tea Partiers who are about to wreck a compromise, they risk taking the blame for a deeper recession and will pay the price in 2 years. But, if they side with the Speaker, they risk being seen as traitors by the base and will pay THAT price in 2 years. They're caught in a trap.

What's more astonishing is that it's a trap of their own making! They've spent the past 20 years, and especially the last 4, building a base of radicalized haters afraid of Obama and everything liberal. They've assiduously created that via their web of influence peddlers, beginning with Fox and carrying right on through hundreds of right wing websites, on the supposition that they could control it all.

Now, they find they CAN'T control it and the party is eating itself alive.

It's one of the most profound failures in American political history and, sadly, the rest of us will have to suffer for it.

I'm waiting for Obama to hold the Military and Social Security checks over our heads like he did last time! All that did was piss a lot of people off! Military & retired people should NOT be held captive over something like this...they're the LAST ones that should ever have to worry about getting paid!

In the first place, I'd challenge you to find any REAL Conservatives in the Republican Party today, but that would be a subject for another time.

Boehner was given the speakership by the party's old guard and he only had one job to do: restrain the Tea Party troglodytes until Obama could be voted out of office. The party insiders, bag men and corporate sponsors were, and are, afraid of the real Tea Partiers (most of those elected under the Tea Party banner are not real, but some are), but they wanted the votes of their supporters until the time came to ditch them.

But, that time never came. The party, their sponsors, and especially the Koch brothers faction of Neo-Fascist's, poured everything they had into defeating Obama. They literally threw the kitchen sink at him, telling any lie, obstructing any bill, spreading any rumor. They spent billions....and failed.

Now, the old guard doesn't know what to do. If they side with the Tea Partiers who are about to wreck a compromise, they risk taking the blame for a deeper recession and will pay the price in 2 years. But, if they side with the Speaker, they risk being seen as traitors by the base and will pay THAT price in 2 years. They're caught in a trap.

What's more astonishing is that it's a trap of their own making! They've spent the past 20 years, and especially the last 4, building a base of radicalized haters afraid of Obama and everything liberal. They've assiduously created that via their web of influence peddlers, beginning with Fox and carrying right on through hundreds of right wing websites, on the supposition that they could control it all.

It's one of the most profound failures in American political history and, sadly, the rest of us will have to suffer for it.

What's that old adage...You made your bed, now lie in it. (or is it lay in it)

I guess your side should have been more willing to compromise.

You do realize that if obama and the democrats increases taxes and spending, the whole country is coming down also don't you?

Pretty clear to me there's one side trying to save the country and another doesn't give a shit. The people trying to save the country are the ones that want the line held on taxes and real spending cuts made. The other side that doesn't give a shit are the ones that want more of your money so they can waste it and add to the debt.

It's clear as a bell.

Last edited:

Boehner was supposed to restrain the Teaparty? Sorry, he instead takes his marching orders from them. The teaparty was weakened severly in the last election and Boehner looks silly as he continues to listen to them.

I want him to remain speaker only because he is so weak and dumb. He will help Democrats in 2014. Cantor is trying to take it from him but hopefully he fails.. Love, love Boehner. :D

The Tea Party is showing you now that they're as strong as ever, and we conservatives love it.

I know you tax and spend liberals don't, but I love that too.

I don't get it.

But it won't fail, and they know it.

That is why they can't let it succeed -- because then even people like you might start suspecting that GOP has been lying to you big time for the past 30 years.

I don't get it.

Better yet the GOP caucus could all resign their seats and let some adults step up to fill them.

I don't get it.

But it won't fail, and they know it.

That is why they can't let it succeed -- because then even people like you might start suspecting that GOP has been lying to you big time for the past 30 years.

I'm willing to let them prove me wrong.
First answer me this....what is your definition of success when it comes to the economy and our Nation's budget?

Boehner was supposed to restrain the Teaparty? Sorry, he instead takes his marching orders from them. The teaparty was weakened severly in the last election and Boehner looks silly as he continues to listen to them.

I want him to remain speaker only because he is so weak and dumb. He will help Democrats in 2014. Cantor is trying to take it from him but hopefully he fails.. Love, love Boehner. :D

I actually feel sorry for Boehner. He's not a bad man nor is he an ideologue. He's a pragmatic realist who understands how the dynamics in Washington changed with the last election and he's trying his best to find some compromise that will prevent the nation from plunging into another recession while leaving his party some wiggle room.

The President has shown that he's willing to meet him there, to give the GOP a face-saving way out, but Boehner's own party has deserted him right at the critical moment....again. Beset on all sides by factions which barely talk to each other, he's trying to keep the party from splintering AND save the nation's economy at the same time.

It may be more than he's capable of. In fact, it may be more than his position allows. He's only the Speaker of the House, not the party leader. That position generally goes to the party's last presidential nominee, but Romney was so weak, so vacillating, so bland, so unacceptable to the base that he's done the smart thing: disappear.

However, that leaves an enormous vacuum at the top which nobody else but Boehner has been wiling to step into and he's only done so reluctantly.

Until, and unless, some moderate leader steps forward to heal the party rift, the GOP and the nation will struggle and ultimately fail to find a way out of this self-inflicted mess.

Forum List

Back