Boehner briefed Limbaugh on debt plan

Boehner briefed Limbaugh on debt plan - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) outlined the GOP's debt-ceiling plan to conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh on Monday before showing it to his conference.

On Monday during his radio program, Limbaugh talked about the call he received from Boehner. Limbaugh's support of the plan would be advantageous to Republicans because it might help rally the conservative base.

In a nod to the conservative anger over the fall-back proposal McConnell had put forward earlier in the month, Limbaugh said: "I'm told that Senator McConnell has been in a better position than he has been lately ... he's on the same page with Boehner now."

This isn't the first time Boehner has called Limbaugh to voice his position on the debt talks.

Boehner also phoned in to Limbaugh's show last Friday to give him the inside scoop following reports that Republican leaders and the White House were close to finalizing a deal.

:lol:

Must get the approval of the 'Hillbilly Heroin' Lobby.

My gawd, the left on this board has absolutely gone off into the twilight zone.

It's kinda scary watching it live.:cuckoo:

Is he still hooked on Oxycontin?

Is that somehow relevant to his audience size or the respect he has from fiscal conservatives? Or are you simply unable to actually accept the fact that Rush is respected and has a large audience that you need to attack the man for no reason?

I doubt he's that respected although it is important to remember that respect is hard to measure.

Simply pointing out the pitfalls of "trusting" and "respecting" a known drug addict who, as I recall, violated the law by prescription shopping. I set my standards for respect a little higher than you do I guess but, hey it takes all types right.

I could be wrong about that--his criminal record; he doesn't interest me that much so I haven't kept up with it. Was he prosecuted?

I do know that he wasn't shown the remarks ahead of time to gauge public reaction, he was shown them to give his blessing. You sound silly for trying to paint it that way.

Avatar admitted that he respects him. You may not, but the fact is that many do.

The strange thing is you knowledge the Boehner showed him the plan to get his blessing. I have heard from many people that Limbaugh did not like the plan, so that would mean Boehner actually did not get his blessing.

Even stranger, he put the plan up even without that blessing. Does this fact do anything to disturb your theory, or will you turn it into a delusion?

Well, good for him. So if John Doe you're living in the ghetto and admit you need help but cant afford it, what do you suggest John Doe does? Apparently you don't give a flying fuck about him.
There is plenty of free help for alcoholics and drug addicts in this country. We give them everything they need to overcome their addictions, except for the one thing that nobody can give them - self discipline.

I have to second this. I work with those who deal with alcohol and drug addiction almost constantly. They have plenty of resources to get the help they need to overcome.

I agree completely.

I have never met a single person that was an addict because he could not get help. Most of them had been threw rehab numerous times and chosen to go right back to the addiction as soon as they walked out the door.

Well, good for him. So if John Doe you're living in the ghetto and admit you need help but cant afford it, what do you suggest John Doe does? Apparently you don't give a flying fuck about him.
There is plenty of free help for alcoholics and drug addicts in this country. We give them everything they need to overcome their addictions, except for the one thing that nobody can give them - self discipline.

Yes there is....now....all of that is the stuff people like you want to cut, get rid of, act like it's unimportant, and never bring back.

Look at the Title XX funding for Planned Parenthood. This is a program that furnishes birth control devices and pills. Last debt ceiling debate, your boys in the GOP attacked that. The result will be more unwanted pregnancies, more unhealthy family units and of course more welfare later on. Thus increasing the need for more of the "plenty of help" you want to strangle today.

Been proven over and over.

Pennies now for some birth control devices or tens of thousands of dollars--per inmate--later on. The choice is yours.

I have worked for a place that provides free help to addicts, and it does it without government support of any type.

The National Enquirer is the country's highest selling newspaper. Do you consider that part of the media?

but he didn't brief limbaugh to tell the "media", he briefed him so he wouldn't be raked over the coals by his party's leader after the speech.

as for the national enquirer... thank you for illustrating why it's so silly when rightwingnuts brag that fox has higher ratings than cnn or msnbc. ;)

He is the de facto party leader......
....A great example o'...

Careful What You ASK For.

529.gif

I'll bet he wishes he was back (where he belongs), tending the family's bar, NOW!!!!

barflies.jpg

"Who....JOHN??!!! Nahhhhh.....tell him you're 23. He's always shit-faced, anyhow."​

Yes there is....now....all of that is the stuff people like you want to cut, get rid of, act like it's unimportant, and never bring back.

Look at the Title XX funding for Planned Parenthood. This is a program that furnishes birth control devices and pills. Last debt ceiling debate, your boys in the GOP attacked that. The result will be more unwanted pregnancies, more unhealthy family units and of course more welfare later on. Thus increasing the need for more of the "plenty of help" you want to strangle today.

Been proven over and over.

Pennies now for some birth control devices or tens of thousands of dollars--per inmate--later on. The choice is yours.

I have worked for a place that provides free help to addicts, and it does it without government support of any type.

Thats wonderful. Good and necessary.

Is that somehow relevant to his audience size or the respect he has from fiscal conservatives? Or are you simply unable to actually accept the fact that Rush is respected and has a large audience that you need to attack the man for no reason?

I doubt he's that respected although it is important to remember that respect is hard to measure.

Simply pointing out the pitfalls of "trusting" and "respecting" a known drug addict who, as I recall, violated the law by prescription shopping. I set my standards for respect a little higher than you do I guess but, hey it takes all types right.

I could be wrong about that--his criminal record; he doesn't interest me that much so I haven't kept up with it. Was he prosecuted?

I do know that he wasn't shown the remarks ahead of time to gauge public reaction, he was shown them to give his blessing. You sound silly for trying to paint it that way.

Avatar admitted that he respects him. You may not, but the fact is that many do.

The strange thing is you knowledge the Boehner showed him the plan to get his blessing. I have heard from many people that Limbaugh did not like the plan, so that would mean Boehner actually did not get his blessing.

Even stranger, he put the plan up even without that blessing. Does this fact do anything to disturb your theory, or will you turn it into a delusion?

As I stated, I don't listen to Rush often so I'm not sure what happened. Whether it was to pre-empt the firestorm, quell the beast, or get approval, the gutless act was just that; a gutless act.

I'll let one of the "Dittoheads" tell us how Rush reacted. The characterization that he wanted to get the view of the press is laughable and moronic.

Here's a clue, Rush had him on and interviewed him about his plan, Boehner told him.

that's all folks.

Calling Rush Limbaugh "the media" is generous at best. Boehner is not transparent at all. He's just making sure he doesn't get out of line with Rush.

Calling him a reporter would be generous. Since he is the number 1 radio host in the entire country there is no doubt he is part of the media.

The National Enquirer is the country's highest selling newspaper. Do you consider that part of the media?

Yea, in some cases since they did bust John Edwards didnt they :eusa_whistle:

Some do, some not so well to be sure.
And in truth, the unwanted pregnancies I speak of....one of those could end up curing cancer for all I know.
Yep, Plus the aborting babies saves money idea loses some water when you consider how many Immigrants, and Illegals we import each year, and need to, to sustain our social systems and work force. Are we really to believe that an Unwanted Child who was given up for Adoption instead of Aborted is not going to contribute as much as an uneducated Immigrant or Illegal?

So whats the alternative; do away with them all because they are inefficient; do away with welfare because some people cheat on it?
Nah, I am not for just doing away with Welfare. I am well aware it is needed, However I do believe the more you keep it at the state and local Level, the less it can be abused, Less waste, and more accountability. Do not discount the negative effect of the sheer size of Federal Government Bureaucracy. One hand often has no idea what the other is doing. It will always be more efficient and easy to manage at the state level than the federal level.

I tend to think that if you're going to waste billions of dollars of money, wasting it somewhere between Oregon and Virginia is better than wasting it between Iran and Jordan or Iran and India.
I agree on principle, Though I wonder what you mean by wasted money. I am against much of the foreign aid we give out mostly because it often goes to countries who's Corrupt Leaders steal and waste it. However if you mean Military spending, I tend to think that Defending us and our interests in the world is one of the true jobs of the Fed per the constitution. It is one of the few things they should be spending any money on in the first place.

As for the Education system, I would propose the following, you get basic core programs paid for by the federal government. Twelve years of the following; Math, Science, English, and basic money management (Home Ec but with a focus on household budgeting). Perhaps some vocational education courses as well. If your district wants drama, it pays for it. If it wants Football, it pays for it. If it wants to have a field trip to the zoo, it pays for it.
I tend to think the Voucher system would help out a lot. Private Schools compete for Students. So they have to perform. That is why people want to send their kids to them. Public Schools are ran by the Teachers Unions that far to often make decisions based on what's best for them, and not for the kids. There is almost no accountability. Public Schools do not have to compete for Students if they did, they would have none.

The "war on poverty" is being lost because the jobs that used to go to the unskilled moved offshore. Good idea, wrong weapons being used in the war.
Yep, and all those Jobs went over seas, or now go to illegals willing to work for less, Because Liberal Policies have forced Employers to either pay more than they can, or take the jobs elsewhere.

We just had a long debate in another thread where Liberals were railing against WalMart for "paying slave wages"

Walmart is an entry level job, If you force them to pay 12 bucks an hour to start instead of 8 they are not entry level anymore. Not only will they have to charge more for their Products, but they will hire less. So the Liberal Agenda is often counter productive. Spending Millions to Fight Poverty with one hand, while fighting against the very Company's who provide the entry level, no education or Exp required jobs many Poor people could use as a stepping stone.

It is not a coincidence that our Youth unemployment rate is over 20%, The Liberal Agenda of Things like Mandatory Health Care, Raising the Federal Minimum Wage, and other things have driven thousands of Entry level Jobs out of the country, or simply out of existence.

<SNIP>
As for the Education system, I would propose the following, you get basic core programs paid for by the federal government. Twelve years of the following; Math, Science, English, and basic money management (Home Ec but with a focus on household budgeting). Perhaps some vocational education courses as well. If your district wants drama, it pays for it. If it wants Football, it pays for it. If it wants to have a field trip to the zoo, it pays for it.
<SNIP>
An interesting post, but I'd Like to point out one thing about education that is assumed in the comment above. The federal government, for all it's grand expenditures in the Dept of Education, does not pay for the education of our children. The local government units, counties/townships through property taxes pay for teachers and administrator's salaries, buildings and grounds maintenance, transportation such as school bussing, and the sports programs to the extent they fail to be self sufficient. There are federal grants but probably the cost of its unfunded mandates and interference outweighs those grants. Books are paid for or rented by students in most schools, except for the poorest schools and districts.

In case there is any confusion utilities like water purification and distribution, sewage treatment and the construction of lines and plants, roads and highways, hospitals, police, fire,these are all paid for with local money and oversight except for the federal gas tax which is collected locally and returned unevenly to local districts as grants and matching funding to drive compliance, upgrading and some new interstate projects, but even then only as matching funds. States contract out the construction work, oversee it, and are responsible for future maintenance of anything done as a federal/state/local partnership. It's really hard to see how we get our money's worth from our federal govt, except for the military, and foreign aid to the degree it offsets military expenditures at some future point.

You have a problem with him presenting his plan to the media and through the media the people?

We complain about transperancy. How politicians are doing things behind closed doors without sharing anything with the people. Boehner is transperant and now that's bad because he had the audacity to talk about his plan to the American people on the Rush Limbaugh show?

What is wrong with you people?

Calling Rush Limbaugh "the media" is generous at best. Boehner is not transparent at all. He's just making sure he doesn't get out of line with Rush.

no, actually sounds to me hes priming the pump, becasue you know those crazy tea party folks are stopping a deal from happening, they are crazy so, right?

boehner wants rush to pimp for him, so now boehner is a rump for trying to reign in the loonies? I see.....:rolleyes:

Boehner briefed Limbaugh on debt plan - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) outlined the GOP's debt-ceiling plan to conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh on Monday before showing it to his conference.

On Monday during his radio program, Limbaugh talked about the call he received from Boehner. Limbaugh's support of the plan would be advantageous to Republicans because it might help rally the conservative base.
In a nod to the conservative anger over the fall-back proposal McConnell had put forward earlier in the month, Limbaugh said: "I'm told that Senator McConnell has been in a better position than he has been lately ... he's on the same page with Boehner now."

This isn't the first time Boehner has called Limbaugh to voice his position on the debt talks.

Boehner also phoned in to Limbaugh's show last Friday to give him the inside scoop following reports that Republican leaders and the White House were close to finalizing a deal.
:lol:
WOW....amazing....is this considered government propaganda?

Care, Boehner was only describing the process and explaining the proposal that he wanted to put into the hopper for a vote.

What Jay Carney, the president's press secretary does everyday is government propaganda; he interprets everything that's going in the perspective only of the left including about their opponents, and actually lies in the process of doing that. Right there some real damage is being done.

(hope your pneumonia is lots better!)

Ideas have power even when they are stupid ideas. Speaker Bonehead consulting another bonehead is a bit much for the presumed head of the Congress, it must mean being the head honcho ain't what it's cracked up to be or Bonehead is so weak a speaker he needs a real loudmouth for his BS. I have to admit this is one of the rare times I cannot even watch the news, to see a simpleminded republican talking head talking budget deficits, after Reagan and the Bushs, is tantamount to listening to OJ's search for the murderers. It is so phony my feet automatically rise from the ground, it is magical that even feet know BS when they smell it.

"Ideas rule the world and its events. A revolution is the passage of an idea from theory to practice. Whatever men say, material interests never have caused, and never will cause a revolution." Giuseppe Mazzini

Forum List

Back