Bobby Jindal Rediscovers Federal Government With Oil Spill, Asks For Help

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the oil platform in federal waters?

i don't recall jindal ever disavowing the federal government...this thread is pure meadowmuffins and hyperbole....obama's response to this has been slow, but thats ok, he can blame other people

The administration rejected suggestions that the federal government was slow to act in dealing with the spill and expressed frustration with BP's inability to seal the ruptured well head. The government approved the start of drilling for a relief well and was considering approving a second one as industry and government officials worked on multiple fronts to contain the slick.

from what i found, the rig is 52 miles off LA shores....i'm fairly certain that is federal water

12 miles....it's in international waters then. Not our problem....maybe the Hague or the U.N. can help out.

I think it's in our "General Welfare" to keep this oil spill contained and to clean it up and the accident happened out in federal waters after all.

Our Founding Fathers did not intend "General Welfare" to include cleaning up oil spills. There is nothing in the Federalist Papers that speaks about oil spills

What does the Federalist Papers say about hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, tornadoes (sp) or any other natural disaster?

Damn Tex...you got me there

Looks like the Great State of Texas' favorite Amendment.....the 10th Amendment would have to apply to national disasters too. Our founding fathers evidently intended the States to clean up their own mess

I just checked my copy of the Constitution.....

Nowhere in there does it say it is a federal responsibility to clean up oil. So I guess that falls under the 10th Amendment

Yep....state's issue. Enjoy, Louisianna.

Would you say the same for an earthquake in San Francisco?

We can't make exceptions. If we are going to take the Constitution literally and apply the 10th Amendment like our Secessionist States want to.......a natural disaster is the states problem

Sure it will, the Mouth of the Mississippi empties right there where the oil spill occurred ;just about 10 miles South of Venice, Louisiana, shipping can be slowed, fish and seafood shortages can occur, that oil slick will effect other States such as Mississippi,Alabama and Florida and of course, we all use petroleum.

I honestly hope its just a "shortage"

You think the slick may hit Alaskan Fisheries?
?????

You can't get gulf oysters in Alaska.

Don't eat much seafood?

Our Founding Fathers did not intend "General Welfare" to include cleaning up oil spills. There is nothing in the Federalist Papers that speaks about oil spills

What does the Federalist Papers say about hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, tornadoes (sp) or any other natural disaster?

Looks like the Great State of Texas' favorite Amendment.....the 10th Amendment would have to apply to national disasters too. Our founding fathers evidently intended the States to clean up their own mess

Federalist 34, doesn't speak directly to "natural disasters", but rather upon taxation for "emergencies as they may arise".
Federalist № 34

Federalist 34, doesn't speak directly to "natural disasters", but rather upon taxation for "emergencies as they may arise".
Federalist № 34

the federalist papers don't have force of law. so what they say about natural disasters, etc., is wholly and totally irrelevant.

I think it's in our "General Welfare" to keep this oil spill contained and to clean it up and the accident happened out in federal waters after all.

They don't....however, if people are killed or injured or made homeless in large numbers that is under the concept of "general welfare." Maybe not.

But....show us the numbers of killed, injured, or made homeless by this oil spill.

Jindal urges AG to oppose enforcing health-reform measure | DailyComet.com

Jindal cites the 10th Amendment, which gives the states all powers not specifically granted to the federal government in the U.S. Constitution.

Sorry Bobby.....nothing in the Constitution about Oil Cleanup. 10th Amendment says its your problem

you really are being stupid here

its one thing to try and stop a "new" expansion of federal power, but when lives are at stake in a distaster of this proportion that effects more than just jindal's own state, asking the feds for help is the right thing to do

its funny, you bitch about people who bitch about obama no matter what he does...yet lately, all i've seen you do is bitch at repubs no matter what....if jindal didn't ask for help, you would bitch that he is incompetent for not taking advantage of federal resources

i don't recall jindal ever disavowing the federal government...this thread is pure meadowmuffins and hyperbole....obama's response to this has been slow, but thats ok, he can blame other people

The administration rejected suggestions that the federal government was slow to act in dealing with the spill and expressed frustration with BP's inability to seal the ruptured well head. The government approved the start of drilling for a relief well and was considering approving a second one as industry and government officials worked on multiple fronts to contain the slick.

from what i found, the rig is 52 miles off LA shores....i'm fairly certain that is federal water

12 miles....it's in international waters then. Not our problem....maybe the Hague or the U.N. can help out.

i don't think that is true for the gulf of mexico...i think the line extends further

They don't....however, if people are killed or injured or made homeless in large numbers that is under the concept of "general welfare." Maybe not.

But....show us the numbers of killed, injured, or made homeless by this oil spill.

It really amounts to a Government bailout of business.....you know how the right wing conservatives hate that

The Gulf Fishing and Tourist industries will all be helped by government intervention. Why should the rest of America bail out Forest Gump? He is already a millionaire

Jindal cites the 10th Amendment, which gives the states all powers not specifically granted to the federal government in the U.S. Constitution.

Sorry Bobby.....nothing in the Constitution about Oil Cleanup. 10th Amendment says its your problem

its one thing to try and stop a "new" expansion of federal power, but when lives are at stake in a distaster of this proportion that effects more than just jindal's own state, asking the feds for help is the right thing to do

its funny, you bitch about people who bitch about obama no matter what he does...yet lately, all i've seen you do is bitch at repubs no matter what....if jindal didn't ask for help, you would bitch that he is incompetent for not taking advantage of federal resources

Bitching?

Who is bitching? All I'm doing is defending the Constitution and States rights!

No, Jindal is a jackass for bashing the federal government when he thinks it gets him brownie points from the fed-haters, and then running to them hat in hand when he has a legitimate need for the legitimate services that the federal government provides.

i don't think that is true for the gulf of mexico...i think the line extends further

Love to see that in writing....that a country can randomly decide (like North Korea) that their boundary extends farther.

Yep, and they're doing a fine job taking care of it........how long ago did they inspect the BP rig? couple of months? weeks?

:lol:

I bet they'd be able to do AN EVEN BETTER job given $100 Billion more in the EPA budget!!!

So we're moving towards a consensus that the federal government is not sufficiently draconian in it's environmental regulation of private industry?

I'm moving toward the consensus that no matter what; Finance, Energy, Education, Defense, the Federal Regulators will fuck up regardless of the size of their budget.

Then you would logically support simply banning offshore drilling on the grounds that it is simply impossible to regulate them in a manner that would assure their safety.

No, Jindal is a jackass for bashing the federal government when he thinks it gets him brownie points from the fed-haters, and then running to them hat in hand when he has a legitimate need for the legitimate services that the federal government provides.

So if a person opposes Universal Health Care and talks about it in detail , they are a "jackass" for asking for federal assistance on something like this? What were you saying about daft?

It really amounts to a Government bailout of business.....you know how the right wing conservatives hate that

The Gulf Fishing and Tourist industries will all be helped by government intervention. Why should the rest of America bail out Forest Gump? He is already a millionaire

A government bail out of businesses? Isn't that what the ORIGINAL Tea Party protested AGAINST?

Some here just seem to be asking ignorant questions just for agitation's sakes, if the Gulf of Mexico's as well as the entire Gulf Coast and all of it's abundant marshland, wildlife and natural resources isn't a national concern then how in the hell is a food stamp, someone's insurance or SSI a national concern etc?

This is it, in the old nutshell.

It's always the other guys' federal government that's the villain.

Forum List

Back