Bobby Jindal Rediscovers Federal Government With Oil Spill, Asks For Help

I just checked my copy of the Constitution.....

Nowhere in there does it say it is a federal responsibility to clean up oil. So I guess that falls under the 10th Amendment

Do ya think it might fall under "the general welfare" clause?

Nowhere in there does it say it is a federal responsibility to clean up oil. So I guess that falls under the 10th Amendment

Well, as you see upthread, johnrocks, one of the premiere anti-federalists around, has decided it's a 'general welfare' issue. Of course 'Rocks is from Louisiana, which might be a factor in his epiphany.

correct me if i am wrong, but isn't the oil platform in federal waters?

i don't recall jindal ever disavowing the federal government...this thread is pure meadowmuffins and hyperbole....obama's response to this has been slow, but thats ok, he can blame other people

The administration rejected suggestions that the federal government was slow to act in dealing with the spill and expressed frustration with BP's inability to seal the ruptured well head. The government approved the start of drilling for a relief well and was considering approving a second one as industry and government officials worked on multiple fronts to contain the slick.

from what i found, the rig is 52 miles off LA shores....i'm fairly certain that is federal water

Last edited:
Yep. And generating energy isn't an easy or safe business. Yet... we have folks sitting behind their electric-powered computers, where energy is generated on the backs of coalminers and nuclear operators, where oil was used in production, delivery, and maintenance of the computer product... bitching about energy. :rolleyes:

You mean.....:(

I THOUGHT SANTA CLAUSE AND HIS ELVES MADE THE MAGIC THAT COMES FROM THOSE LITTLE HOLES IN MY WALLS!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

I think it's in our "General Welfare" to keep this oil spill contained and to clean it up and the accident happened out in federal waters after all.

Well, we can all agree then that the environment is a legitimate federal government concern...

I think it is one of government's duties is to protect property rights and the environment, where the problem lies is the amount of regulations ,laws,rules and all around government intervention, accidents happen and all the regulations in the world won't change that, until we find alternatives, we need the oil.

I think it's in our "General Welfare" to keep this oil spill contained and to clean it up and the accident happened out in federal waters after all.

Well, we can all agree then that the environment is a legitimate federal government concern...

I think it is one of government's duties is to protect property rights and the environment, where the problem lies is the amount of regulations ,laws,rules and all around government intervention, accidents happen and all the regulations in the world won't change that, until we find alternatives, we need the oil.

So you oppose the government rules, regulations, restrictions, and/or prohibitions that are designed to prevent environmental calamities,

but you want the taxpayers to foot the bill when the calamities that you don't want the government trying to prevent actually happen?

That's daft.

but it is a political issue. the right is incensed when any pro-environmental position is taken. drill baby drill?

yay! i look forward to BP paying for the clean up. i just wonder how they are going to restore the lives of the people who make their living off of the sea and the entire lifestyle that they've developed over generations. how does a father teach his son to shrimp if they can't go shrimping?

THIS is why the 'left' says that you can't be doing this stuff.... especially not to enrich some giant multinational oil company.

but tell us again how far left Obama is.

Do you not drive?... or use anything that must be transported? :eusa_eh:

Even the people whose livelihood will be directly affected by this spill USE oil products. It doesn't just appear from thin air. It has to be drilled and processed, which is a business that carries a certain amount of risk.

Bear in mind that Katrina blew through the Gulf and oil rigs were lost or destroyed, but no major spills were reported, so it's not like safety measures aren't taken and don't work more often than not. But it's STILL a business that presents risk.

Well, as you see upthread, johnrocks, one of the premiere anti-federalists around, has decided it's a 'general welfare' issue. Of course 'Rocks is from Louisiana, which might be a factor in his epiphany.

Not at all, I had a thread on another forum you were once on about the coal mines polluting the water in West Virginia and it being wrong, just because I don't support big government does not mean I support anarchy or don't support a clean and healthy environment.

Yep, and they're doing a fine job taking care of it........how long ago did they inspect the BP rig? couple of months? weeks?

:lol:

I bet they'd be able to do AN EVEN BETTER job given $100 Billion more in the EPA budget!!!

Last edited:

So you oppose the government rules, regulations, restrictions, and/or prohibitions that are designed to prevent environmental calamities,

but you want the taxpayers to foot the bill when the calamities that you don't want the government trying to prevent actually happen?

That's daft.

Why so insulting, I didn't state that, you even stating that is daft, just because I don't wrap my lips around liberal policies does not mean I don't support ANY policy, any fucking moron should understand what I was stating when I stated "I think it is one of government's duties is to protect property rights and the environment, where the problem lies is the amount of regulations ,laws,rules and all around government intervention, accidents happen and all the regulations in the world won't change that, until we find alternatives, we need the oil, now where does it state that I "oppose the government rules, regulations, restrictions, and/or prohibitions that are designed to prevent environmental calamities, "? I stated that all of the rules would not prevent accidents from happening, Utopia hasn't been invented yet .

Last edited:

No.

The General Welfare clause pertains to the country as a whole, not a particular region.

And apart from the price of shrimp going up, this horrible tradgedy will have very little impact on let's say New England or the Pacific Northwest for example.

Yep, and they're doing a fine job taking care of it........how long ago did they inspect the BP rig? couple of months? weeks?

I bet they'd be able to do AN EVEN BETTER job given $100 Billion more in the EPA budget!!!

So we're moving towards a consensus that the federal government is not sufficiently draconian in it's environmental regulation of private industry?

Don't be a douche. Republicans are not anarchists, as you well know.

The federal government is supposed to address national emergencies. If they're not doing that anymore... what the fuck are we paying them for?

no. rightwingers aren't anarchists. but they spend a lot of time saying absurd things like "the scariest words you can hear are 'i'm from the federal government and i'm here to help'."

isn't that jindal's rant? if it weren't for the fact that the people of NOLA would be hurt again (and I love NOLA...) i'd say tell jindal he can stick it.

weren't you guys the ones saying FEMA didn't have to do anything during Katrina and it was blanco's responsibility?

just sayin.

i'm glad we can agree though that it is the responsiblity of the government to step in during emergencies. i think that means environmental, catastrophic and economic.

and i promise not to say 'i told you so' about why we shouldn't be drilling offshore.

Wow you truly are stupid and you've never been an attorney. Governor Blanco rejected Bush's proposal that the federal government take control of National Guard troops under her command. She says that two days after Katrina, desperate for help, she couldn't get through to Bush and didn't get a callback; hours later, she tried again, and they talked.

However, Mississippi's governor Haley Barbour hasn't had to wait hours to talk to Bush, in fact, Barbour said in an interview with USA TODAY, the president called him three to four times in the wake of Katrina. 'I never called him. He always called me,' he said.

Mayuor Nagin called for an evacuation on Sunday at 10am he opened the Superdome up at 12 pm, the hurricane hit on Monday at 6am. Not much time to evacuate 20 plus thousand people. Tell me how is that Bush' or FEMA's fault?

:lol: Leave it to a liberal to have literally hundreds of thousands of regulations on the books and still find a way to blame something on capitalism,conservatives,libertarians or the GOP.

I think the courts would do a better job of enforcing clean environments, safety and the like and do it much better than a federal bureaucrat but ultimately federal waters is the federal government's responsibility, pay more attention to that than my ponds out back, that is more a individual/ local/state concern.

Every energy accident brings out the typical angry leftist... TMI brought us the "No Nukes" movement and I'm sure the lefty minds are fevorishly dreaming up a bumper sticker for this as well...

If the left was really serious about the hazzards of Big Oil, then they would, en masse, discontinue their use of all petroleum products... Instead, they'll drive their vehicles many miles to an anti-drilling rally, dump their trash all over the place, drive back home, turn on all the lights and pat themselves on the back for being such a fine anti-oil leftist...

Meanwhile, the Ted Kennedyesque NIMBYs will still try to block that offshore wind farm... Cant have that eyesore ruining our property values!

No.

The General Welfare clause pertains to the country as a whole, not a particular region.

And apart from the price of shrimp going up, this horrible tradgedy will have very little impact on let's say New England or the Pacific Northwest for example.

Sure it will, the Mouth of the Mississippi empties right there where the oil spill occurred ;just about 10 miles South of Venice, Louisiana, shipping can be slowed, fish and seafood shortages can occur, that oil slick will effect other States such as Mississippi,Alabama and Florida and of course, we all use petroleum.

So we're moving towards a consensus that the federal government is not sufficiently draconian in it's environmental regulation of private industry?

I'm moving toward the consensus that no matter what; Finance, Energy, Education, Defense, the Federal Regulators will fuck up regardless of the size of their budget.

No.

Sure it will, the Mouth of the Mississippi empties right there where the oil spill occurred ;just about 10 miles South of Venice, Louisiana, shipping can be slowed, fish and seafood shortages can occur, that oil slick will effect other States such as Mississippi,Alabama and Florida and of course, we all use petroleum.

Let's not forget Beautiful Galveston Beach........

Forum List

Back