Bobby Jindal Rediscovers Federal Government With Oil Spill, Asks For Help

So we're moving towards a consensus that the federal government is not sufficiently draconian in it's environmental regulation of private industry?

I'm moving toward the consensus that no matter what; Finance, Energy, Education, Defense, the Federal Regulators will fuck up regardless of the size of their budget.

Then you would logically support simply banning offshore drilling on the grounds that it is simply impossible to regulate them in a manner that would assure their safety.

Then you would logically support reducing all funding for all Federal Regulators.

Deal!!

12 miles....it's in international waters then. Not our problem....maybe the Hague or the U.N. can help out.

i don't think that is true for the gulf of mexico...i think the line extends further

Love to see that in writing....that a country can randomly decide (like North Korea) that their boundary extends farther.

i was wrong...i believe this explains what i was thinking though:

300px-Zonmar-en.svg.png

Territorial waters - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just checked my copy of the Constitution.....

Nowhere in there does it say it is a federal responsibility to clean up oil. So I guess that falls under the 10th Amendment

Well, as you see upthread, johnrocks, one of the premiere anti-federalists around, has decided it's a 'general welfare' issue. Of course 'Rocks is from Louisiana, which might be a factor in his epiphany.

Not at all, I had a thread on another forum you were once on about the coal mines polluting the water in West Virginia and it being wrong, just because I don't support big government does not mean I support anarchy or don't support a clean and healthy environment.

And yet a couple posts later you're calling for the abolition of the EPA.

Some here just seem to be asking ignorant questions just for agitation's sakes, if the Gulf of Mexico's as well as the entire Gulf Coast and all of it's abundant marshland, wildlife and natural resources isn't a national concern then how in the hell is a food stamp, someone's insurance or SSI a national concern etc?

This is it, in the old nutshell.

It's always the other guys' federal government that's the villain.

This is it in a nutbag, to think that we can't be for less government with less government intervention without being anarchists, it's all black or white with most here isn't it?

They don't....however, if people are killed or injured or made homeless in large numbers that is under the concept of "general welfare." Maybe not.

But....show us the numbers of killed, injured, or made homeless by this oil spill.

It really amounts to a Government bailout of business.....you know how the right wing conservatives hate that

The Gulf Fishing and Tourist industries will all be helped by government intervention. Why should the rest of America bail out Forest Gump? He is already a millionaire

A government bail out of businesses? Isn't that what the ORIGINAL Tea Party protested AGAINST?

Its all about the Tea Party.

Damn, you're convincing me they really will swamp the November Elections.

Hey at least Jindal is doing something. Where the h*ll has Hopey Changey been? Golfing again? I heard today that he's sending SWAT in to fix things. SWAT?? Yikes!

Jindal urges AG to oppose enforcing health-reform measure | DailyComet.com

Jindal cites the 10th Amendment, which gives the states all powers not specifically granted to the federal government in the U.S. Constitution.

Sorry Bobby.....nothing in the Constitution about Oil Cleanup. 10th Amendment says its your problem

you really are being stupid here

its one thing to try and stop a "new" expansion of federal power, but when lives are at stake in a distaster of this proportion that effects more than just jindal's own state, asking the feds for help is the right thing to do

its funny, you bitch about people who bitch about obama no matter what he does...yet lately, all i've seen you do is bitch at repubs no matter what....if jindal didn't ask for help, you would bitch that he is incompetent for not taking advantage of federal resources

No, Jindal is a jackass for bashing the federal government when he thinks it gets him brownie points from the fed-haters, and then running to them hat in hand when he has a legitimate need for the legitimate services that the federal government provides.

no, you're being a partisan jackass...he didn't need federal help before and now this distaster is BEYOND his own state, so it is only logical to ask for federal help

again, repubs can't do anything right, damned if they do, damned if they don't

Well, as you see upthread, johnrocks, one of the premiere anti-federalists around, has decided it's a 'general welfare' issue. Of course 'Rocks is from Louisiana, which might be a factor in his epiphany.

Not at all, I had a thread on another forum you were once on about the coal mines polluting the water in West Virginia and it being wrong, just because I don't support big government does not mean I support anarchy or don't support a clean and healthy environment.

And yet a couple posts later you're calling for the abolition of the EPA.

There can be sensible rules without a multi billion dollar bureaucratic top heavy agency in place. They would be great if they actually protected the environment without making regulations that did nothing but cost businesses and ultimately the consumer money and actually help corporations in their quest to stomp out as much competition as possible.

Mr. Jindal has handled this awful disaster far more competently than the President has. Sending in SWAT?? This White House really has f*cked this one up. God help the people of the Gulf Coast.

Like I stated, I don't have to have my lips around a big government "solution",agency or regulation to support a clean environment, I'm all for ensuring clean air,water and property for tomorrow's generations as well as our own.

you really are being stupid here

its one thing to try and stop a "new" expansion of federal power, but when lives are at stake in a distaster of this proportion that effects more than just jindal's own state, asking the feds for help is the right thing to do

its funny, you bitch about people who bitch about obama no matter what he does...yet lately, all i've seen you do is bitch at repubs no matter what....if jindal didn't ask for help, you would bitch that he is incompetent for not taking advantage of federal resources

No, Jindal is a jackass for bashing the federal government when he thinks it gets him brownie points from the fed-haters, and then running to them hat in hand when he has a legitimate need for the legitimate services that the federal government provides.

no, you're being a partisan jackass...he didn't need federal help before and now this distaster is BEYOND his own state, so it is only logical to ask for federal help

again, repubs can't do anything right, damned if they do, damned if they don't

Jindal was asking for more Katrina help from the feds years ago.

He also gave us this classic line:

JINDAL: While some of the projects in the bill make sense, their legislation is larded with wasteful spending. It includes $300 million to buy new cars for the government. $8 billion for high speed rail projects such as magnetic levitation line from Las Vegas to Disney Land. And $140 million for something called ‘volcano monitoring.’ Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington, DC.

Hey at least Jindal is doing something. Where the h*ll has Hopey Changey been? Golfing again? I heard today that he's sending SWAT in to fix things. SWAT?? Yikes!

He's waiting for the Duck shaped Tar Balls to begin washing ashore for the photo-op including a tearful speech accusing the Bush Administration of mismanaging Energy Regulation.

If Jindal were President,he would have handled this terrible disaster much better than this current President has. His response has been agonizingly slow & inept. When did this explosion happen? Now he's sending in SWAT to fix things? Yea SWAT will stop that leak. If our MSM wasn't so blatantly corrupt and dominated by Liberals,they would be pointing this stuff out as well. I'm sure if a Republican was in there,the CNN's,NBC's,and NY Times would have already blamed the White House for this tragedy. This thing is much much worse than this White House and the MSM have told the people. It's very sad.

Like I stated, I don't have to have my lips around a big government "solution",agency or regulation to support a clean environment, I'm all for ensuring clean air,water and property for tomorrow's generations as well as our own.

ok. we can agree on conservation.

how do you make sure that people don't destroy the environment without an effective enforcement arm?

how do you make sure that people don't destroy the environment without an effective enforcement arm?

Effective Enforcement begins with Effective Leadership.

I'm becomming convinced that the Obama Administration isn't up to the task.

Jindal has led since day one on this awful disaster. Where has Hopey Changey been? He should be calling for the immediate arrests of BP execs and not sending in SWAT. This thing has been handled incredibly badly by this White House. Shame on the corrupt MSM for covering for another Democrat this way. It's all just very very sad.

Jindal has led since day one on this awful disaster. Where has Hopey Changey been? He should be calling for the immediate arrests of BP execs and not sending in SWAT. This thing has been handled incredibly badly by this White House. Shame on the corrupt MSM for covering for another Democrat this way. It's all just very very sad.

So, why did it take him 7 days after starting to lead from day one, to declare an emergency?

If Jindal were President,he would have handled this terrible disaster much better than this current President has. His response has been agonizingly slow & inept. When did this explosion happen? Now he's sending in SWAT to fix things? Yea SWAT will stop that leak. If our MSM wasn't so blatantly corrupt and dominated by Liberals,they would be pointing this stuff out as well. I'm sure if a Republican was in there,the CNN's,NBC's,and NY Times would have already blamed the White House for this tragedy. This thing is much much worse than this White House and the MSM have told the people. It's very sad.

BP can't stop their own leak? That's not what they originally told the Administration. And btw, why is BP drilling somewhere and in a manner that they can't cope with the consequences if an accident occurs?

Courts do a fantastic job when not constrained, hit the ones that violate our environment where it hurts, in the pocket book. Regulations are feel good acts, they have never prevented a single catastrophe from happening.

What precisely did Jindal do on day one?

Forum List

Back