Boat mechanic question

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
I know this isn't specifically a fishing/hunting topic but I dont know where else to put this.

For some reason, the batteries on my boat seem to drain between uses. There are three batteries on the boat; one for the starboard engine starter, one for the port engine starter and one for housekeeping. The battery for the port engine drains rapidly (less than a day) even if it is brand new and fully charged when installed. I even tried shutting off the battery switch when not using the stupid thing. I checked all the wiring and it all seems to be ok. I have heard that the starter solenoid could be the cause but have not had the chance to replace that yet.

Does anyone have any experience with this or have any suggestions?

Only have a really vague one form a memory long ago--Isn't there something similar to a ground that is attatched underneath the keel or on the lower case of the engine? I seem to remember it as a piece of metal that can corrode with time. Sorry I can't be more specific and it's just a wild guess.

remie said:
http://.boatus.com/husick/techno3_01.asp

Check out this article. It may address your problem. Good Luck!!!!

Remie - I get a bad URL when I click the link.

Are the batteries all interconnected like in series?

Anyway, sounds like you have a short in the ground. The solenoid can be the source if it is shorting against something in the starter. A voltmeter will let you trace it. Not much help if you are not electrically inclined.

Try this as a primer and then you can jump from there.

http://www.sailnet.com/collections/...e001&coll_cat=Electrical&Coll_name=Electrical

Thanks guys. I am travelling on business for the next couple of weeks but I'll check it out as soon as I get home. I have been playing with this problem for a couple of months now (usually on weekends) but am taking a couple of weeks vacation after this trip and am determined to resolve this.

Forum List

Back