Cargo Ship Carrying Lithium Batteries Burns Off Coast Off Alaska

elektra

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2013
Jewitt City, Connecticut
A cargo ship coming from Vietnam, carrying lithium batteries, has caught fire. It has been burning since christmas!

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A large cargo ship with a fire in its hold is being kept 2 miles (3.22 kilometers) offshore of an Alaska port as a precaution while efforts are undertaken to extinguish the flames, the U.S. Coast Guard said Saturday.

There were no injuries to the 19 crew members aboard the Genius Star XI, which was carrying a load of lithium-ion batteries across the Pacific Ocean, from Vietnam to San Diego, the
guard’s Alaska district said in a release.

The fire started on Christmas Day in cargo hold No. 1, a spokesperson for ship owner
Wisdom Marine Group said in a statement. The crew released carbon dioxide into the hold and sealed it over concerns of an explosion.

Ship’s personnel alerted the Coast Guard early Thursday morning about the fire. The Coast Guard said it diverted the 410-foot (125-meter) cargo ship to Dutch Harbor, one of the nation’s busiest fishing ports located in Unalaska, an Aleutian Islands community about 800 miles (1,287 kilometers) southwest of Anchorage

1704296561489.png

A cargo ship coming from Vietnam, carrying lithium batteries, has caught fire. It has been burning since christmas!

View attachment 882804

The entire massive load of toxic material is going to go to the bottom of the ocean and will contaminate an entire ecosystem.

View attachment 882804
Not good. Many of our customers have been waiting months for these. Like 8 months. Now this?

Unlike the hundreds of millions of barrels of oil that have been spilled into the world's oceans.

Which unless in water too cold for it, or in amounts too great for it, degrades biologically over time.

How much crude oil seeps into the gulf of Mexico naturally a year? It's not a "zero" number, that's for sure.

Also, crude oil and refined oil product shipments are strongly regulated.

Unlike the hundreds of millions of barrels of oil that have been spilled into the world's oceans.
oil floats, gets cleaned up, and is then gone

you are selling lithium batteries as a way to protect the oceans from the dangers of man using oil

now we have a toxic lithium/metal fire destroying the environment, how is that better?

Are you actually suggesting that a hundred million barrels of spilled oil has done no damage? Are you suggesting that crude oil contains no toxins?
you are selling lithium batteries as a way to protect the oceans from the dangers of man using oil
I am not selling lithium batteries. I am advocating that we stop burning fossil fuels as rapidly as possible.
now we have a toxic lithium/metal fire destroying the environment, how is that better?
The volume of toxins in that ship are a tiny fraction of the oil that has been spilled. Lithium reacts violently with water meaning it will very quickly be completely dissolved and will dissipate.

Did you respond to the Exxon Valdez, the Deepwater Horizon or the Gulf War spill with calls to stop use of fossil fuel? If not, WHY NOT?

Last edited:
Did you respond to the Exxon Valdez, the Deepwater Horizon or the Gulf War spill with calls to stop use of fossil fuel? If not, WHY NOT?
Uh, crick, I did not call for a stop to using lithium batteries.

Why do liberal democrat pricks fail to comprehend what is said and then respond with a premise that was not stated..

I did not call for a stop to using fossil fuels after the all the oil spills because I wanted to call you a dumbass, over the internet, which would be impossible without fossil fuels.

Uh, crick, I did not call for a stop to using lithium batteries.
What was your intent with these two posts:

View attachment 882804
AND

Why do liberal democrat pricks fail to comprehend what is said and then respond with a premise that was not stated..
Why do I so often find that lies originate with conservatives? My presupposition would be that the likelihood of lying would go up towards either extreme of the political spectrum, but that doesn't actually seem to be the case. Perhaps the problem is the over-representation of the right wing in this forum.
I did not call for a stop to using fossil fuels after the all the oil spills because I wanted to call you a dumbass, over the internet, which would be impossible without fossil fuels.
It sounds to me as if you don't have an acceptable explanation for your lack of principles or integrity in this regard and so you attempt to make a joke.

It sounds to me as if you don't have an acceptable explanation for your lack of principles or integrity in this regard and so you attempt to make a joke
No, not at all. You said I stated something I did not. I called you out on it.

Instead of saying that you made a mistake, you denigrate me.

Standard operating procedure of those who can not argue with facts.

Crickets by nature have no backbone

No, not at all. You said I stated something I did not. I called you out on it.
You're the OP on this thread. Your statements here and elsewhere clearly show a hostility towards EVs.
Instead of saying that you made a mistake, you denigrate me.
Because I made no mistake.
Standard operating procedure of those who can not argue with facts.
I posted the facts.
Crickets by nature have no backbone
I don't lie. You can't say the same.

hostility? Why must you lie about every argument you lose crick? I do not mention EV's nor is there a bit of hostility towards anything in my OP.
This statement expresses hostility towards lithium batteries.

"now we have a toxic lithium/metal fire destroying the environment, how is that better?"

No, you posted a bigoted opinion
What bigotry would that be? That you lie?

View attachment 882804
Just think of all the pollution off this that effects the climate, better off with oil

Another victory for our Freedom Fighters hopefully .

Apparently the fourth mate and the desert trolley chef were both Israelis .

This statement expresses hostility towards lithium batteries.

"now we have a toxic lithium/metal fire destroying the environment, how is that better?"
No, it does not. It simply states that toxic lithium fires destroy the environment. Why do you think lithium fires are benign

Forum List

Back