Blue Ridge hotel defies Park Service shutdown

I'd take my Caddy, or with my wife in her Grand National...not sure I'm up for taking my scooter. Not YET, anyway. :)

You take your Caddy on that road, you'd better be prepared to spend all your time pulling off to let me and my MINI get by... :dev3:

Highway 80's another good place to ban SUVs... take your index finger and push it down with your thumb as far as it can go... curves like that :thup:

What we need to ban are mini's. I'm tired of picking those 2-cylinder toys out of the grill of my Hummer every time I get home.... :lol:

Oh, was that you? Here I'm trying to wipe a speck off my rear view mirror...
boy wish I could get 200 feet per gallon. :mad:

Well good for the Pisgah Inn. If we would just all stand up on our hind legs and declare that "We're as mad as hell and we're not going to take it any more", we might actually get the attention of the idiots and self-serving egotists in Washington.

This has to be the most hateful, mean-spirited, absurd action of an over-reaching and ever increasingly authoritarian government ever!! You will notice that NOTHING is closed that Obama or members of Congress enjoy. They are taking no pay cut, no reduction in benefits, and curtailing absolutely none of their own activities. And only about 15% of government is closed, but it is a 15% to inflect the maximum pain and disappointment upon the people, on the theory the Republicans will be blamed. And they are magnifying it as much as possible by closing what the funding bill doesn't even affect.

I don't know what anybody else thinks. But I say that is unconscionable, reprehensible, and abhorrent. I would hope anybody with a sense of fair play and justice would agree.

It's time to storm the Barrycades.

Obabble has closed The Cliff House and has now forbidden a local contest to build sandcastles on Ocean Beach.

Starting today, the Cliff House will go dark indefinitely, likely as long as the shutdown lasts. The temporary closure of both Cliff House restaurants — Sutro’s and the Bistro — not only means that the 150-year-old San Francisco classic is closed, but also that one of the city’s top-grossing restaurants is closed; back in 2010, the Cliff House was reported to earn $11.5 million in sales annually.

During the hiatus, servers and cooks will not get paid, according to a receptionist at the restaurant, though managers and receptionists — who will still be working — will continue to get paid.

And for those wondering, other restaurants on federal property, like Louis’ up the road and Dixie in the Presidio, are unaffected so far because they are lessees of the National Park (that’s how Louis’ explains it, at least); businesses like the Cliff House and the also-shuttered Warming Hut are concessionaires of the National Park system.

Inside Scoop SF » San Francisco?s iconic Cliff House closed due to government shutdown

A popular youth sandcastle contest on San Francisco’s Ocean Beach is the latest local victim of the federal government shutdown, event organizers said today.

The Leap 30th Anniversary Sandcastle Contest was planned for Saturday, but the continued standoff in Congress over the federal budget is causing organizers to postpone the event until a later date.

Thousands of people were expected to attend the free event, with more than 20 local schools participating. Leap, a local arts advocacy nonprofit, has held the contest for the past three decades.

In a letter sent to participating schools and teams, event organizers said officials with the Golden Gate National Recreation Area notified them on Monday that the contest could no longer take place since Ocean Beach is part of the GGNRA and is closed.

Because a budget was not passed by Oct. 1, all federal services deemed “non-essential” have been shut down until an agreement is reached.

“We were told that we could be fined for trespassing and that our permit was no longer valid,” the letter said. “We were also told that our event could be shut down by park rangers or by San Francisco police.”

The letter continued, “This is very upsetting news for all of us who have worked so hard to put the event together.”

Federal Shutdown Means No Ocean Beach Sandcastle Contest

So, by shutting a restaurant that pays concession fees to the Feds, the government is taking in less money as well as putting a bunch of lower income people out of work.

And by saying that using a wide open beach is "trespassing", Obabble is spending money to keep school kids from playing in the sand.

Heckuva job, Barry!

It's time to storm the Barrycades.

Obabble has closed The Cliff House and has now forbidden a local contest to build sandcastles on Ocean Beach.

Starting today, the Cliff House will go dark indefinitely, likely as long as the shutdown lasts. The temporary closure of both Cliff House restaurants — Sutro’s and the Bistro — not only means that the 150-year-old San Francisco classic is closed, but also that one of the city’s top-grossing restaurants is closed; back in 2010, the Cliff House was reported to earn $11.5 million in sales annually.

During the hiatus, servers and cooks will not get paid, according to a receptionist at the restaurant, though managers and receptionists — who will still be working — will continue to get paid.

And for those wondering, other restaurants on federal property, like Louis’ up the road and Dixie in the Presidio, are unaffected so far because they are lessees of the National Park (that’s how Louis’ explains it, at least); businesses like the Cliff House and the also-shuttered Warming Hut are concessionaires of the National Park system.

Inside Scoop SF » San Francisco?s iconic Cliff House closed due to government shutdown

A popular youth sandcastle contest on San Francisco’s Ocean Beach is the latest local victim of the federal government shutdown, event organizers said today.

The Leap 30th Anniversary Sandcastle Contest was planned for Saturday, but the continued standoff in Congress over the federal budget is causing organizers to postpone the event until a later date.

Thousands of people were expected to attend the free event, with more than 20 local schools participating. Leap, a local arts advocacy nonprofit, has held the contest for the past three decades.

In a letter sent to participating schools and teams, event organizers said officials with the Golden Gate National Recreation Area notified them on Monday that the contest could no longer take place since Ocean Beach is part of the GGNRA and is closed.

Because a budget was not passed by Oct. 1, all federal services deemed “non-essential” have been shut down until an agreement is reached.

“We were told that we could be fined for trespassing and that our permit was no longer valid,” the letter said. “We were also told that our event could be shut down by park rangers or by San Francisco police.”

The letter continued, “This is very upsetting news for all of us who have worked so hard to put the event together.”

Federal Shutdown Means No Ocean Beach Sandcastle Contest

So, by shutting a restaurant that pays concession fees to the Feds, the government is taking in less money as well as putting a bunch of lower income people out of work.

And by saying that using a wide open beach is "trespassing", Obabble is spending money to keep school kids from playing in the sand.

Heckuva job, Barry!

He is doing a dandy job, isn't he? Hurting the "little people" the best way he can. He'll cut off his nose to spite his face but as long as it brings inconvenience, disappointment and pain to the American citizens, he smiles for he met his goal.

There's something wrong with this man.

When that gathering of illegal vomit meets at the mall where real Americans are not allowed, a million bickers, truckers and other patriots should block there way in and out. After civil disobedience fails, violence would the only remaining tool. A massive street brawl with heavy losses to police, NPS assholes and especially illegal filth and their supporters would be a glorious sight to behold.

Sick...just plain SICK. :evil: Not you Christian...the handles from the water spigots being removed.

Last edited:
this example just shows that government is so stupid that even in their pettiness they are inefficient.

They want to hurt the people to win the points - I understand that.

But why do they want to hurt the people in so devotedly leftard area?
The people there worship obama no matter what and listen to leftard lies as if it is the ultimate truth - why punish THEM?

the IRS going after the conservative groups is of, course, illegal, but it at least makes sense from the logical standpoint.

this one - does not.

When that gathering of illegal vomit meets at the mall where real Americans are not allowed, a million bickers, truckers and other patriots should block there way in and out. After civil disobedience fails, violence would the only remaining tool. A massive street brawl with heavy losses to police, NPS assholes and especially illegal filth and their supporters would be a glorious sight to behold.

never happen as most Tea Baggers are cowards.

This guy has become so comically obvious in his child-like wielding of political power that he might as well be named Obama Jong Un.

Last edited:

Well? What are you waiting for?

Were you expecting 0 repercussions from a shutdown?

When it costs more to shut something down than to leave it alone?

Security and upkeep.

SF cops are not federal employees and the money the restaurants make more than pay for the upkeep. Now the taxpayers lose the money from the lease and the income tax and payroll taxes that the employees would pay if Obama didn't put them out of work.

Keep on sucking.

Yup, EVERYTHING that happens because of Pub obstruction, fanaticism, hate, stupidity and bs propaganda is the black guy's fault, just like the gay guy caused the meltdown and SECOND Pub Great World Depression. Your brainwashed ignorance and party first stupidity is astounding. Thanks for the 0.5 per cent cut in growth so far, MORONS.

The first debt crisis and following sequester each cost at least 1 percent in growth - of course that was the black guy's fault too...a-hole dingbats...

Last edited:

Forum List

Back