Blue Ridge hotel defies Park Service shutdown

one of the peak season for tourism and money making is this month in the moutains...we call it the fall foliage season....the leaves are changing....if the parkway is closed it will have a tremendous impact on this area....we have had a tough summer for small businesses as the rain has kept people away....we do not need this kick in the head on top of that.

thanks republicans...thanks....this is a gop strong hold...wonder how that will go over

Well that sucks. I love that drive. Get's me to Richmond quicker. Oh well this shit actually helps my hobby.

Due to the Government Shutdown, other than Newfound Gap Road/US441 (THE MAIN ROAD OVER THE MOUNTAIN FROM CHEROKEE NC TO GALINBURG TN), the Spur and the Gatlinburg Bypass all GSM National Park roads will be closed to use of any kind by people.

All GSMNP Facilities, Hiking Trails, Picnic Areas and Visitor Centers will be closed

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Road Conditions

Last time I checked there were no businesses in the National park.

Just another Liberal trying to scare people with the lie of GOVT shutdown.

Last edited:
Nothing on the Blue Ridge parkway on site about it being closed. I guess next the libs will tell us that all Interstate Hwys are closed due to the fact they are federal funded hwy program so they will be closed also.

You libs are idiots.

Due to the Government Shutdown, other than Newfound Gap Road/US441 (THE MAIN ROAD OVER THE MOUNTAIN FROM CHEROKEE NC TO GALINBURG TN), the Spur and the Gatlinburg Bypass all GSM National Park roads will be closed to use of any kind by people.

All GSMNP Facilities, Hiking Trails, Picnic Areas and Visitor Centers will be closed

Great Smoky Mountains National Park Road Conditions

Last time I checked there were no businesses in the National park.

Just another Liberal trying to scare people with the lie of GOVT shutdown.

I think there's a gift shop at the Cades Cove visitor center.

Harry Reid is the primary reason for this shutdown strolling.
Saying it is the republicans is like blaming the gunpowder manufacturer for killing someone, and letting the person who pulled the trigger go free.
The shutdown is because the Repubs attached Obamacare changes to the budget (imagine that - how dare they :cuckoo:)
The changes the republicans wanted to make to Obamacare was primarily:

1) Remove the 2000 exemptions the Democrats gave to favored corporations/unions and themselves of course.
2) To delay the individual mandate, since Dems gave corporations and employers an equal delay.

That's pretty much it? Sounds reasonable? What is wrong with those changes?
Harry Reid and the Senate dems refused to even talk about it, would not even meet with republicans...and then Harry Reid comes out and says "I will not be bullied by the fringe far right arm of their party"
Really?...this is bullying?

The House Republicans passed three separate bills, each that would have fully funded the government including government services involving the Blue Ridge Parkway and most Republican Senators would have voted aye on each one. The Senate Democrats rejected or refused to bring to a vote each and every one.

So how is the shutdown of the Blue Ridge Parkway the Republicans fault?

Thanks Obamacare not GOP. The majority of this country doens want it and yet the democRATS cont to shove it down our throats. GOP is doing the will of the people.
It's the law of the land. It has been deemed constitutional by the SCOTUS. The President was re-elected and ran against a guy who was fore square opposed to it and campaigned to repeal it.

I think the American people have spoken.

The tea baggers do NOT speak for the American people, only a small minority of them.

What the tea baggers are doing is acting impetuously. They should be ashamed.

The Senate sent a clean CR to the house. Boehner refused to allow a vote. Government shut down.

It would pass easily if he did.

Please stop lying nutters. It is sad.

Thanks Obamacare not GOP. The majority of this country doens want it and yet the democRATS cont to shove it down our throats. GOP is doing the will of the people.
It's the law of the land. It has been deemed constitutional by the SCOTUS. The President was re-elected and ran against a guy who was fore square opposed to it and campaigned to repeal it.

The tea baggers do NOT speak for the American people, only a small minority of them.

As one of the "Teabaggers" you seem to enjoy denigrating, I agree that we do not get to speak for the American people. But as American people we have as much right to speak as anybody else.

When you can honestly say that you have never supported repeal of a law you deemed to be bad law, you might have more standing and credibility to judge those who vote from their convictions that are different from yours. Otherwise your words could sound very presumptious, prejudicial, and hypocritical. As I know you not to intentionally be like that, I'm giving you benefit of the doubt that such was not your intention. :)

But I ask you to believe that there are many, many of us who are God fearing, caring, industrious, compassionate, and loyal Americans who really believe in doing the right thing rather than the politically expedient thing. And we are not wanting this healthcare law to take away our choices, options, opportunities, and liberties. And because we believed that it does and/or will, we elected those folks to go to Washington to do exactly what they are doing to oppose it as best as they can.

And those are American voices too.

As one of the "Teabaggers" you seem to enjoy denigrating, I agree that we do not get to speak for the American people. But as American people we have as much right to speak as anybody else.

When you can honestly say that you have never supported repeal of a law you deemed to be bad law, you might have more standing and credibility to judge those who vote from their convictions that are different from yours. Otherwise your words could sound very presumptious, prejudicial, and hypocritical. As I know you not to intentionally be like that, I'm giving you benefit of the doubt that such was not your intention. :)

But I ask you to believe that there are many, many of us who are God fearing, caring, industrious, compassionate, and loyal Americans who really believe in doing the right thing rather than the politically expedient thing. And we are not wanting this healthcare law to take away our choices, options, opportunities, and liberties. And because we believed that it does and/or will, we elected those folks to go to Washington to do exactly what they are doing to oppose it as best as they can.

The problem is this is neither the right thing nor the politically expedient thing. Holding the entire government hostage over one piece of legislation is irresponsible. Thousands of federal jobs are going unpaid, hundreds of federal contracts are going unfulfilled or not bid on, thousands of federally backed mortgages are going unprocessed all because a slim minority in one party prefers brinksmanship over statesmanship.

I suppose we could roll back the clock and reinstitute the old health plans, but then thousands will be dropped due to pre-existing conditions. Thousands will find their coverage dropped because they filed a claim. Thousands will see premiums rise exponentially. And millions will go uninsured guaranteeing them bankruptcy should they contract a major medical problem. So, what's the right thing to do? Shut down the government in an impetuous binge of partisanship, or repair the law as it stands?

government shut down...they are closing all the federal parks.....that will close the parkway and the great smokey mountains national park...closing the main way from cherokee to gatlinburg during the peak foliage season

Two tourist traps well worth avoiding at all costs, but the BRP isn't an efficient way to get between them anyway. It's for scenery, not making travel time. Especially to Richmond, which is nowhere near any part of the BRP.

The road is not closed, excepting work areas that were already closed mostly due to rain and resulting rockslides. But the facilities, ranger stations and events, including the website, are all inoperative due to the federal shutdown.

25 miles and hour for 200 miles. Eh who wants to die from boredom anyway?

Not sure which 200 miles you refer to but if you're doing 25 on the Parkway -- you're part of the problem. :eek:

Last edited:

The problem is this is neither the right thing nor the politically expedient thing. Holding the entire government hostage over one piece of legislation is irresponsible. Thousands of federal jobs are going unpaid, hundreds of federal contracts are going unfulfilled or not bid on, thousands of federally backed mortgages are going unprocessed all because a slim minority in one party prefers brinksmanship over statesmanship.

I suppose we could roll back the clock and reinstitute the old health plans, but then thousands will be dropped due to pre-existing conditions. Thousands will find their coverage dropped because they filed a claim. Thousands will see premiums rise exponentially. And millions will go uninsured guaranteeing them bankruptcy should they contract a major medical problem. So, what's the right thing to do? Shut down the government in an impetuous binge of partisanship, or repair the law as it stands?

They didn't hold the government hostage though. The House easily passed three separate bills that would fully fund the government through December except for Obamacare and they agreed to submit funding Obamacare as a separate and stand alone bill. Senate Republicans would have voted for funding the government under the House blls in a heartbeat.

The Senate would not agree to that.

So who is holding the government hostage over a piece of legislation?

And many experts have chimed in to express that the consequences and negative aspects of Obamacare will be universally more destructive than the incidental cases that you cite, all of which could have been addressed far less drastically than taking over the entire healthcare system. Responsible legislators don't embrace bad legislation purely because it has a few good things in it.

Last edited:

The way your representatives.....most of whom are in INCREDIBLY SAFE districts...are going about this is wrong. Plain and simple.

It is obvious enough for those who only pay fleeting attention to understand. The GOP shut down the government because they do not like an established law.

If the clean CR is voted on in the house, it will pass and the government opens.

The GOP has a list of platform items that they are saying they will use in return for raising the debt ceiling.....one of them being a delay/ defund of the ACA.

What do you think of that tactic? If you are a loyal American as you claim...it should piss you the fuck off.

government shut down...they are closing all the federal parks.....that will close the parkway and the great smokey mountains national park...closing the main way from cherokee to gatlinburg during the peak foliage season

why can't they just leave the road open with a travel at your own risk sign? Seems silly to close the whole thing. Closing the park sucks. Leaf peeping is big business here too and that really would hurt.

Ask the Democrats, specifically Reid why he wouldn't even discuss some changes made to the law. basically "my way or the highway" - so the shutdown happened.

Ask the Democrats, specifically Reid why he wouldn't even discuss some changes made to the law. basically "my way or the highway" - so the shutdown happened.

We do not have to ask. It is clear. There is no need to negotiate an existing law in order to keep the government open. That is bullshit. Reid is doing the right thing.

The GOP needs to begin doing the right thing.

Forum List

Back