Black Football Millionaire Walks Away From it All to Feed The Poor

JimBowie1958

Old Fogey
Sep 25, 2011
This man is a hero and what the NFL used to mean to me.

Men of integrity and courage who just played a game.

NFL Star Makes $25M And Quits Football, Then People Discover What He Did With His Money

A former football star who was the highest paid center in the NFL walked away from his lucrative career in sports to feed the needy (video below).

Jason Brown signed a $37.5 million contract with the St. Louis Rams in 2009. He was drafted 124th overall in 2005, playing nine seasons in the NFL before getting cut by the Rams in 2012, according to Business Insider.

Five years later, at the age of 29, Brown had earned over $25 million of that contract. His career was far from over and several teams were interested in signing him, including an offer from the Baltimore Ravens.

But he walked away from it all to become a farmer in Louisburg, North Carolina, despite protests from everyone around him.

"My agent, he told me, 'You're making the biggest mistake of your life,'" Brown told CBS. "And I looked right back at him and I said, 'No I am not.'"

Now, his main job is to grow sweet potatoes and other vegetables for the needy. The former NFL star has donated 46,000 pounds of sweet potatoes and 10,000 pounds of cucumbers this fall.​

NFL Star Makes $25M And Quits Football, Then People Discover What He Did With His Money

A former football star who was the highest paid center in the NFL walked away from his lucrative career in sports to feed the needy (video below).

Jason Brown signed a $37.5 million contract with the St. Louis Rams in 2009. He was drafted 124th overall in 2005, playing nine seasons in the NFL before getting cut by the Rams in 2012, according to Business Insider.

Five years later, at the age of 29, Brown had earned over $25 million of that contract. His career was far from over and several teams were interested in signing him, including an offer from the Baltimore Ravens.

But he walked away from it all to become a farmer in Louisburg, North Carolina, despite protests from everyone around him.

"My agent, he told me, 'You're making the biggest mistake of your life,'" Brown told CBS. "And I looked right back at him and I said, 'No I am not.'"

Now, his main job is to grow sweet potatoes and other vegetables for the needy. The former NFL star has donated 46,000 pounds of sweet potatoes and 10,000 pounds of cucumbers this fall.​

He might have better off carrying on playing and using the money he was making to pay other people to do such a scheme.

CsL0-c8VUAAoQ_O.jpg

Honored tradition? The US military paid the NFL to make it a tradition, how is it "honored"?

Great story, we need more people in this world like him...

He might have better off carrying on playing and using the money he was making to pay other people to do such a scheme.

CsL0-c8VUAAoQ_O.jpg

Honored tradition? The US military paid the NFL to make it a tradition, how is it "honored"?

If the NFL took money and agreed to make its players stand during the anthem, then they have an obligation to do so.

Is this talented football player a better farmer than a football player? Of course not. If he were smart, or maybe humble, he should have continued to play football and use his money to finance a talented farmer.

When whites give to charity to the needy, they do so without regard to race. Blacks usually only give charity to blacks, and even then they aren't half as generous as whites. Is this football player donating the produce without regard to race, or is he, euphemistically "giving back to his community"?

If he really wanted to do some good he'd have a big event then throw rolls of paper towels at the attendees.

CTE has unpredictable affects on players.
A "center" is much less likely to get a concussion. They are rarely involved in running hits.

You can still get CTE from repetitive blows to the head, without a concussion. All those helmet crashing blows on the line, play after play after play add up.

There is literally no reason this guy couldn't have done both, continued to play football while running a farm in the off season. Football is a fall/winter sport anyway. His decision is very bizarre.

Great story, we need more people in this world like him...
Amen to this! If you feel that what you are doing is no longer your calling, what better thing to get into compared to helping others?

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Forum List

Back