Bill To End US Extrajudicial Killings

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Madeline, May 27, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
  2. George Costanza

George Costanza A Friendly Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    How could anyone argue against Kucinich's efforts in this regard? But I suppose they will.

3. Tech_Esq

Tech_Esq Sic Semper Tyrannis!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    It appears that Kucinich likes the Imam in Yemen that is technically a US citizen, but is now focused on recruiting people for terror attacks in the US.

I'm a firm believer in trying criminals, but unlike Denny here, I know the difference between a war and a crime scene. Killing unlawful enemy combatants should be the rule no matter their country of origin.

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    This won't sound all that civilized, but really, don't we hire assasins in the CIA to carry out killings essential to national security? Why the fuck would I want to tie their hands if, by definition, the person getting smoked is a threat to my country? I could give a fuck whether they are US citizens; if they are flying here with a suitcase bomb, then please kill them.

What happened to make this a hot issue? Did the US get drug into a court of international law? I'm not seeing any breaking news; just that Iman in Yemen who was raised in New Mexico. Why's he still a US citizen anyway?

U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric - NYTimes.com

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  5. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    From the people I know, and living around DC you get to know some people. There are plenty of agents in three letter agencies fully capable of successfully pulling the trigger. CIA is but one. I don't think they need to find contractors. Also, the shooting (or whatever the means is) is the simple part. Finding the person to terminate is the challenging part. You don't become the target of a national government without realizing the fact and taking precautions. Individuals a very small needles in a VERY big haystack. And, the needle can move on it's own. Tricky business.

But I don't have problem with the gist of what you say. We're in a war. They declared it, they wanted it that way. They continue to carry out acts of war, courts have little or no place in the middle of a war. It jeopardizes the judicial system if you try to force it there.

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    But wasn't there a trial of US government employees (held in Spain I think; my Google-Fu fails me) over the killing of some threat to national security we engaged in there? Are there allegations that the US has abused this extraordinary power?

I don't entirely follow along what's happened. I don't even completely understand how Top Secret CIA activities can even be news.

7. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    There is no justification for the government ever killing anyone, especially without due process. Everyone should be behing Kucinch on this, including Obama.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Well I am not part of the government and I would be happy to pull the trigger. :)

9. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    I think I recall the trial that you're talking about Spain or Italy. I think one was a rendition trial and another a "murder" trial.

"Sound and fury signifying nothing"

They are sending a message that they don't like it when the US flexes it's muscles. It makes them feel small and insignificant and they don't like that. It's up to us to decide whether we care or not.

The apologizer in chief, he cares. Me, not so much. But, the Apologizer knows that if there is a successful terror attack on his watch, he's finished. So, he does the minimum.

CIA activities are always news when they are exposed. In this case, it hasn't been much of a secret that it's the policy of the US to hunt down and kill certain individuals including some traitorous Americans.

10. Tech_Esq

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +558
    The justification is called war. Perhaps you've heard of this????

Here we go.....