Bill Maher vs. Rush Limbaugh

Gem said:
Why does Rush get pegged as a disgusting propagandist while Maher gets away with the same type of rhetoric?

Because Bill Maher is a political comedian, not a commentator. Rush is also an entertainer but his followers take him seriously. No doubt he is laughing all the way to the bank.

Nuc said:
Because Bill Maher is a political comedian, not a commentator. Rush is also an entertainer but his followers take him seriously. No doubt he is laughing all the way to the bank.

And also the issue of access. There's a big difference between one friday night show at 11 PM on HBO and a 5 day a week mid-day radio program.

The ClayTaurus said:
By making a fuss out of this, you are drawing more attention to him then he ever would have had blabbing like an idiot late nights on HBO in relative solitude.

lol. Yeah, he and 12 of his family members in the audience. There is a reason that the show was taken off of prime time and it wasn't because he is such an idiot it was because nobody wanted to watch the crappy-ass show.

no1tovote4 said:
lol. Yeah, he and 12 of his family members in the audience. There is a reason that the show was taken off of prime time and it wasn't because he is such an idiot it was because nobody wanted to watch the crappy-ass show.

Yup. But his viewership will go up if he makes outrageous remarks and people make a fuss over it. He's just trolling for viewers.

Send a memo to PBS or CNN. Dammit, it's not like there aren't venues. Give it a rest.

Oh my. News isn't supposed to be biased to one or the other side. You're missing my point. Regardless of what you guys may think, there is no vast liberal media conspiracy. In fact, most major news corporations are owned by conservative Republicans like Rupert Murdock. J-schools encourage their students to strive for objectivity and always have. Opinions are supposed to be relegated to the editorial page. Yet Fox News has been and continues to make its programming slant to the right. It's unprofessional!

By the way, PBS is awesome. News hour with Jim Lehrer and Frontline are two of the most outstanding news programs on television in my opinion.

Hagbard Celine said:
Oh my. News isn't supposed to be biased to one or the other side. You're missing my point. Regardless of what you guys may think, there is no vast liberal media conspiracy. In fact, most major news corporations are owned by conservative Republicans like Rupert Murdock. J-schools encourage their students to strive for objectivity and always have. Opinions are supposed to be relegated to the editorial page. Yet Fox News has been and continues to make its programming slant to the right. It's unprofessional!

By the way, PBS is awesome. News hour with Jim Lehrer and Frontline are two of the most outstanding news programs on television in my opinion.

Right you can tell that they aren't slanting when a major news anchor loses all credibility going with a story he wanted to be true more than he wanted to check facts. He was warned by people in his own organization that they couldn't say that the "memos" were authentic but ran with it anyway in order to discredit somebody he clearly wanted to discredit.

Thank all the little gods for other sources that were willing to look into his faulty story or we would have been fed the same crap as before by the media.

Hagbard Celine said:

There is just so much wrong with that paragraph I'm not even going to bother. I'll leave you like I'll leave the kook on the sidewalk proclaiming the world is about to end. A pitiful example of self-parody for all to see.

Right you can tell that they aren't slanting when a major news anchor loses all credibility going with a story he wanted to be true more than he wanted to check facts. He was warned by people in his own organization that they couldn't say that the "memos" were authentic but ran with it anyway in order to discredit somebody he clearly wanted to discredit.

Thank all the little gods for other sources that were willing to look into his faulty story or we would have been fed the same crap as before by the media.

You can't make sweeping accusations against "the media" over the actions of a few interspersed individuals. And if you'll note, Dan Rather "retired" not long after that story broke.

There is just so much wrong with that paragraph I'm not even going to bother. I'll leave you like I'll leave the kook on the sidewalk proclaiming the world is about to end. A pitiful example of self-parody for all to see.

And theim, if you're not actually going to address any of the points I made but are instead just going to act arbitrarily dismissive, then I will afford you the same courtesy. You sir are the pitiful one.

Hagbard Celine said:

No conspiracy? Then how come the Able Danger topic got swept under the hurricanes? That topic is enough to cause more crap than the Teapot Dome scandal.

Hagbard Celine said:
You can't make sweeping accusations against "the media" over the actions of a few interspersed individuals. And if you'll note, Dan Rather "retired" not long after that story broke.
Right, he lost credibility but would not have if it wasn't for the blogs and other sources that aren't MSM the story would have stood without them and that in particular shows the bias of the media. What they were not reporting is as telling as what they do report. It took some teeth pulling to get that into the MSM.

What he (Rather) is amazed about is "I became the focus rather than the story itself". As if what he was reporting was true and somehow it got deflected on him.

And this isn't 'just an individual'. In order to get the story on the show it took many people ignoring the truth of the matter for the report, and in order for it to stand in other media groups it took them just believing and not searching for the actuality. This has happened time and again on many different shows. To say it doesn't show bias is simply ignoring reality in order to say something you want reality to reflect. In other words, you too are reporting what you want to hear rather than looking at reality.

Gem said:
Dillo,

Lets be honest and make the distinction between Carlin and Limbaugh.

Rush was prescribed heavily addictive pain medication for back pain. He took it and, like millions of other unfortunate Americans, discovered that after continued use under a doctor's supervision he needed more medication to achieve the desired effect: pain reduction...not a high. He took more and became addicted to the pills to deal with pain...not to get high.

As I have stated an will reassert....I do not care for Rush's style of political rhetoric...I find it inflammatory and harmful to the national debate.

But I find Hagbard's and SO MANY OTHER LIBERALS insistence on bringing up a man's medical addiction as if he was giving blow jobs in alleys for smack...OR using it recreationally like Carlin or any of the Ozbourne kids to be such a BLATANT and embarrassing example of the propaganda people with swallow when they like the overall message.

Carlin's abuse of coke and vicodin is ok...because apparently, he's saying what Hagbard wants to hear: Laura Bush is a douch-bag. But Limbaugh, whose message Hagbard and so many others like him DON'T get a kick out of...Limbaugh who got addicted to pain meds he was taking for PAIN...an addiction millions of Americans face every year because of their chronic pain....HE is the dirty drug user.

Sigh...its pathetic.

Sorry gem, have to disagree here. Limbaugh is a genius. His analysis is generally dead on. Some conservatives hate him because of the ease with which he makes accurate political analysis accessible to a wide audience. Playa haters. You know like how d and oca get jealous when I kick so much ass.
:whip3:

rtwngAvngr said:
Sorry gem, have to disagree here. Limbaugh is a genius. His analysis is generally dead on. Some conservatives hate him because of the ease with which he makes accurate political analysis accessible to a wide audience. Playa haters. You know like how d and oca get jealous when I kick so much ass.
:whip3:

Look, if some bonehead was sitting next to you at a bar and ranted and raved in that sleazy, sanctimonious, pedantic, arrogant, facile manner of Rush, you'd get up and move to a different seat. But because he's on the radio people love him? His followers are gullible and starstruck. He's a rude and pompous creep.

Nuc said:
Look, if some bonehead was sitting next to you at a bar and ranted and raved in that sleazy, sanctimonious, pedantic, arrogant, facile manner of Rush, you'd get up and move to a different seat. But because he's on the radio people love him? His followers are gullible and starstruck. He's a rude and pompous creep.

I'd scoot in closer and order him a drink. He rocks. Of course, libs like you hate him because he foils all your dastardly plots.

We all know you changed your name so you could leave behind all the threads where you got reamed. You know that, right?

I'd scoot in closer and order him a drink. He rocks. Of course, libs like you hate him because he foils all your dastardly plots.

Hahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!:laugh:Haaaaaaaahahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLLOLLOL!

Hagbard Celine said:
Watch it Nuc, I've tried that already. But even though entertainment is a matter of opinion, yours, since it isn't pro-Limbaugh, isn't valid.

All you guys have is personal attacks against the man. Give some substantive criticism and maybe your opinions will seem worthwhile.

Hagbard Celine said:
Hahahahahahahahhaha!!!!!!!!!:laugh:Haaaaaaaahahahahahaha! Bwahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLLOLLOL!

Will you be laughing in '06 and '08 when you eat MORE GOP dust?

All you guys have is personal attacks against the man. Give some substantive criticism and maybe your opinions will seem worthwhile.

Many of his claims (about the broad-sweeping liberal conspiracy) are paranoid, conspiratorial and unfounded. He makes broad generalizations that can't be substantiated. And he's a polarizing figure that wouldn't know a compromise or a golden mean if it kissed him on the d*ck. He's paid to fill air time, so of course he hits the mark sometimes, but a lot of what he says is hot air.

Personally, I don't like the guy. Hell, neither do half my conservative friends. He's offensive.

Hagbard Celine said:
Many of his claims (about the broad-sweeping liberal conspiracy) are paranoid, conspiratorial and unfounded. He makes broad generalizations that can't be substantiated.
Name one.
And he's a polarizing figure that wouldn't know a compromise or a golden mean if it kissed him on the d*ck. He's paid to fill air time, so of course he hits the mark sometimes, but a lot of what he says is hot air.
People who tell the truth are often polarizing. He fills time with compact, concisely stated truth and wisdom.
Personally, I don't like the guy. Hell, neither do half my conservative friends. He's offensive.

I love him. Half of the conservatives denounce Rush because they're still trying to maintain the respect of their liberal friends. Let it go people.

rtwngAvngr said:

We all know you changed your name so you could leave behind all the threads where you got reamed. You know that, right?

Gimme a break, I shortened my name, it's not like people don't know who I am. Hey even a dumbass like you was able to figure that out. I don't like Rush because of his manner, which is that of a lout. He's a slob. If we didn't know what he looked like, we'd probably think he was some snot nosed kid. Leaving content aside, his style is disgusting. But to be completely honest, I think it's all an act and he is playing you and yours to make $$$$$$$. I don't think he's really as cynical and stupid as he presents himself. It's a persona to appeal to all the frustrated white losers out there. So I can admire his business sense. It's just unfortunate that he hasn't let you guys in on the joke. Maybe when he's on his deathbed a la Lee Atwater.

Forum List

Back