Cutting Pork In The Budget

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    In light of the spending for the hurricanes, not to mention the WOT, it seems a good time to prod our reps to do something. I've been meaning to get around to it, but my 7th graders have been sucking the life right out of me-thus far. Once I can turn the tables, watch out. :laugh: Here's someone that is doing something. Links at site, notice he did get called the next day. Only those who haven't been involved feel the 'system doesn't work':

http://fearlesscritic.blogspot.com/2005/09/chambliss-responds.html

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and another, again with links:

http://www.dhogberg.com/2005_09_25_dhogberg_archive.html#112775984793301452

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and NOT so responsive, including my own Senator Obama:

http://instapundit.com/archives/025817.php

4. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    Cutting pork, just like raising or lowering taxes, isn't as simple as it might seem. Useless or not, there still are businesses depending on pork money to operate. There is no simple solution like trading a bridge to nowhere for a check to New Orleans.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sure it is, all the pols have to do is make a 'gentleperson's agreement' that all nonsense will be cut out for the next 2 years-ie Bridge to nowhere and others.

6. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    And in those two years, numerous businesses will go under, because a substantial part of their business is from pork.

Pork or not, jobs will be created by building a bridge to nowhere, and unless cutting that project means re-locating and employing the would-be bridge builders down in new orleans, there will be an adverse effect.

Pork spending doesn't just get burned, it goes to people's pockets. If you just one day cut it all without thinking about how to handle everyone who depended on the pork, you'll have a bit of a problem.

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Yeah, a lot of it goes in people's pockets directly, with nothing to show of worth. Sorry, better to cut the deficit and taxes, let the wealth go to those that know how to grow it-which is NOT any level of government. They only consume, not grow wealth.

8. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    This is precisely the problem with deficit spending. When you cut out all the worthless projects, the economy is going to take a hit. I'm not saying they shouldn't be reduced, or even cut entirely, but some forethough is needed as it relates to all the private contractors who exist largely on govenment money.

The shipping industry, for example. If you cut the pork from the maritime budget... the only reason there are any shipyards at all in the states is because of government money. Now, if you want to talk about cutting pork but maybe easing up on restrictions that make it impossible for a US ship builder to compete commercially with a Korean ship builder... well then I'm all ears.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    Both should be done. It should not be the purview of the government to keep a business afloat, or to create conditions in which they cannot compete. Both are equally offensive to a free market.

10. The ClayTaurus

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    In today's world, that would mean big time pay cuts for a lot of blue collar workers. American labor is way too expensive to compete with the rest of the world. I'm all for free market; if the Koreans will work for 2 pennies and a handshake... well then fine...