Bill Maher vs. Rush Limbaugh

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gem, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Here is an article about some comments made by Bill Maher and George Carlin on the Bill Maher show. To summarazie, Maher called First Lady Laura Bush, "Hitler's Lap-Dog," and Carlin refers to her as, "the silver douche bag."
    http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2005/9/26/194236.shtml

So why is Rush Limbaugh considered the spokeman for the right wing...why is his rhetoric flaunted by the left as an example of the way the right feels and/or thinks even when someone states quite clearly (as I do) that they have never heard more than 3 minutes of a Rush Limbaugh show when Maher continues to enjoy his status as a political comentator/comedian?

Why does Rush get pegged as a disgusting propagandist while Maher gets away with the same type of rhetoric?

2. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Well Rush is not my favorite talk radio host, but I agree with you on this Gem. It's way beyond a double standard.

3. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    The left has no standards or rules to go by other than slam the right. Pointing out the hypocrisy is a waste of breath. It means nothing to them and they will accuse you of trying to change the subject. They do not reflect,they do not analyze, the do not think critically. They spew :puke3:
    I'm actually frightened by how irrational they have become.

4. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Thats exactly why I picked him, Kathianne...he is one of the ones who say things that are just about as inflammatory as Maher stating that Laura was Hitler's dog...or Carlin saying she was a douchebag.

I could also ask why is O'Reilly reviled and Stewart revered?

O'Reilly has a huge audience, just like Stewart. Both do a very similar show...political commentary, a talk show about the news. Neither claim to be doing "the news," but rather their "take on it." O'Reilly tells people to shutup, Stewart tells people they are assholes and losers.

So why is O'Reilly hated and Stewart hailed?

5. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    See above and understand that we are dealing with people who act ONLY out of emotion. All rationality is lost on them. Common sense is not in their vocabulary.

6. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    i hate stewart, i hate maher, cariln is crap......oreilly is a pompous ass, rush is funny

7. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Bill Maher delivers a better, classier product than Rush Limbaugh. Limbaugh is a slob and is addicted to pills. Maher is smart and funny. There is no comparison.

Jon Stewart is a comedy genius and he has a personality that is made up of more than just piss and vinegar unlike O'Reilly. Also, O'Reilly is supposed to be akin to real news and is on a real news network and presents his show as the "no spin zone" and that's total garbage because everything he says is his opinion. Stewart has a "fake" news show on comedy central. Also, Stewart doesn't sexually harass women.

Plus O'Reilly is a big dickhead who tells people to "shutup." Who wants to listen to that crap?

Carlin's standup can't be beat.

8. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    What a disgusting bunch of twits make up the face of the anti-Bush contingent. And it's not just the TV personalities and comedians. After Katrina hit, Dem Senator Landrieu said that she would punch President Bush. When things later calmed down, she maintained she would not take back the statement. And then there's Cindy Sheehan's foul mouth. And on and on and on it goes.

Much like the general Muslim population stays silent on Islamoterrorists, you never hear moderate Dem voices speak out against hate-filled, debasing lefty anti-Bush rhetoric. And people wonder why we can't come up with anything nice to say about the Democratic Party? :puke:

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Maher is an admitted and very proud frequent pot smoker. So they are both drug addicts. As far as Limbaugh being a slob....well, many would describe a bachelor who mistreats women and calls them dogs and laughs as others call them douch-bags a slob as well...so you really have no case there.

You may not like Limbaugh, I know I don't. That isn't the point. You obviously like Maher...I frequently find him very funny and have his show on HBO Tivo'd at home. That isn't the point.

O'Reilly never claims to deliver the real news. However Stewart will go on real news programs and demand to be taken seriously as a newsman...except when he doesn't like the questions asked...then he only wants to be a comedian. While you may not like O'Reilly millions do...just as many if not more than like the Daily show...so you really have no case there.

You have illustrated my point perfectly, rather than address the question in any real matter you jumped right in to discuss why you liked the liberals and disliked the conservatives, adding nothing of value to the conversation...thank you.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    You're a perfect example of liberal non-thinking. You call Rush an addicted but Carlin has some kind of excuse?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6759327/