Bill Maher vs. Rush Limbaugh

There are two overriding reasons why any of the famous people mentioned in this thread spout their message: to gain more attention and to gain more money. They are all attention- whores, who can never be rich enough. Regardless how sincere and devoted they may seem to a cause, I believe ideology takes a back seat to those two powerful draws.

O'Reilly has turned the light on some bad stuff, ranging from Florida's pathetic DCF, to the ACLU's sick agenda. For that I am very glad, and am willing to put up with his ego and pursuit of ratings. I have the least respect for someone like Carlin, who uses degrading humor in an attempt to further his faltering career.

Hagbard Celine said:
You conservative posters are all just belittling liberal spokesmen and comedians because you don't agree with their messages, while you prop up the conservative ones because you do believe in their messages.

You're doing the same thing you're accusing us of doing! If you're going to pass judgment on us, why not pay attention to your own behavior every once in a while?

To quote myself:

Its true that we all are going to favor whoever represents our view points, or what we 'want to hear', but the point of the original post is that there is a double standard. Liberals get away with saying just about anything while the conservatives get blasted in the media for far less. Even you liberals have to admit thats true.

Hagbard Celine said:
You conservative posters are all just belittling liberal spokesmen and comedians because you don't agree with their messages, while you prop up the conservative ones because you do believe in their messages.

You're doing the same thing you're accusing us of doing! If you're going to pass judgment on us, why not pay attention to your own behavior every once in a while?

To quote myself:

So in your world everything is relative and there is no right or wrong? Feeling a little uncomfortable when hypocisy coming from the left is pointed out? How about you send this quote of yours to Bill Maher, and John Stewart??
why not pay attention to your own behavior every once in a while?

And yes many conservatives do disagree that Laura Bush is like Hitler's Lapdog, since there is no basis in truth to that or just about anything else Maher says. That doesn't seem so crazy to me.

theHawk said:
Its true that we all are going to favor whoever represents our view points, or what we 'want to hear', but the point of the original post is that there is a double standard. Liberals get away with saying just about anything while the conservatives get blasted in the media for far less. Even you liberals have to admit thats true.

True but there is also this little matter of credibility. For those who don't like Oreilly they can say so but they can't dispute the facts he presents or the many chances he gives those to speak their side of things on his show. Maher has no real credibility, everything he says is based soley on his opinion that he spouts as truth. He references no credible if any sources to back up his assertions.

Feeling a little uncomfortable when hypocisy coming from the left is pointed out?

No, because,

From hearing you guys talk, Bill O'Reilly would have a good shot at running for Pope.

Hagbard Celine said:
No, because,

From hearing you guys talk, Bill O'Reilly would have a good shot at running for Pope.

Hardly Pope material, but again his credibility with politics lies within the facts he presents. If we are to hold everyone who speaks out publicly to a no sin standard then no one would be worthy. But people like Rush, OReilly, and Hannity back up what they say with proof, they don't purposefully misquote anyone, and if they do they correct it immediately, they don't take words out of context. Liberals are never held to that kind of standard save for a few times the MSM got caught, and they should be!! And it' all comes under the umbrella of entertainment.

Bon, O'Reilly and the gang are held responsible because the present themselves under the guise of real news. O'Reilly's show is called "The No Spin Zone" for crying out loud. If there was a liberal equivalent to Fox's conservative news network, then O'Reilly would have an equivalent who could be scrutinized just as fiercely.

Rush Limbaugh's antithesis is Al Franken on Air America and from what I can see, he's been scrutinized fiercely.

Hannity and Colmes is supposed to be "fair & balanced," but you see they got a handsome, all American type (see Hannity) to be the conservative pundit and then they got a nerdly, weak-looking guy (see Colmes) to be the liberal and half the time he agrees with Hannity. That show is garbage.

And Maher, Carlin, and Stewart are comedians! If we start scrutinzing comedians, then we'd better address Chris Rock's bias towards black people.

Hagbard Celine said:
Bon, O'Reilly and the gang are held responsible because the present themselves under the guise of real news. O'Reilly's show is called "The No Spin Zone" for crying out loud. If there was a liberal equivalent to Fox's conservative news network, then O'Reilly would have an equivalent who could be scrutinized just as fiercely.

Rush Limbaugh's antithesis is Al Franken on Air America and from what I can see, he's been scrutinized fiercely.

Hannity and Colmes is supposed to be "fair & balanced," but you see they got a handsome, all American type (see Hannity) to be the conservative pundit and then they got a nerdly, weak-looking guy (see Colmes) to be the liberal and half the time he agrees with Hannity. That show is garbage.

And Maher, Carlin, and Stewart are comedians! If we start scrutinzing comedians, then we'd better address Chris Rock's bias towards black people.

LOL you and I both know Maher, and Stewart are not just oding comedy for the sake of entertainment, they present themselves as credible pundits of poilitcs, just because they throw humor into the mix does not make them strictly comedians and they are attempting, with their shows to influence people. Sure they have the right to do it, and Im not saying that Stewart doesn't have a funny way about him, no one is disputing that, the whole point of this thread was to queston the double standard that exists.

The reason Colmes has no real appeal is because his arguments are weak and transparent, although every once in a while he actually does not contradict himself, so I have a bit of respect for him that way.
BTB there is a liberal equavilent to O'Reilly by the name of Chris Mathews among others, and he in no way is held to the same standards as his conservative counterparts.......But nice try :)

and if I'm not mistaken...Chris Matthews has said some pretty inflammatory things that have gone relatively unnoticed by the MSM.

But...if you are getting tired of the news commentators angle...how about this one?

Why was Trent Lott forced to step down from his position as Senate Majority Leader when he said of Strom Thurmond at his 100th Birthday Celebration: "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either,"

Even though Dashle, the Senate Minority leader, and other prominent Democrats stated publically that they didn't think Lott meant it in a racist way and after Lott apologized profusely and very publically for the way the statement sounded

BUT

Hillary Clintons little gaffe about Ghandi being a 7-11 employee...raised nary an eyebrow and Dick Durbin's comment comparing camp x-ray which held suspected terrorists in harsh conditions for less than 6 months to Nazi concentration camps, and the regimes and absolute heinous acts of genocide and mass murder of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge meet with little more than a request for an apology (and he gave a half-assed one) before the stories DISAPPEARED from the MSM even though those on the right were furious?

Why did Harry Reid receive very little bad press when he called the President of the United States a "loser" in front of a bunch of highschool students during a civics lesson (shouldn't we expect a bit more from our Senate Minority Leader?) but Cheney has yet to be let off the hook for privately telling another adult (who only moments before had been calling him corrupt and a war profiteer and was not looking for a smarmy photo-op) to "go fuck himself?" Do I think Cheney was right? Absolutely not. It was very unprofessional....however...I think that a private argument between two adults is a bit different than childishly bashing the President of the United States of America in front of a bunch of children ....yet the media has harped on one and not the other.....why?

Now before you go off...PLEASE READ THIS PART!!!

I am not saying that Republicans and Conservatives do not say disgusting things...they do. I'm not saying that Democrats and Liberals are the only ones who speak off the cuff...they aren't. Both sides have their share of assholes and people who have run their mouths when they should have shutup...both have said things that are absolutely unconscionable...

My contention is NOT that one side is worse than the other...my conention is that one side gets a break...and the other side does not...

So while it may be fun to post a list of disgusting, unprofessional comments by BOTH sides of the spectrum...lets save that for another day. The examples I posted were chosen because I think they show similar events in which the person on the left got let off the hook while the person on the right got raked over the coals. Feel free to disagree, I know you will.

What I'd like to see are examples where the politicans (just like the political commentators) on the left were slammed as badly or with such serious consequences as the politicians on the right... Despite what some might believe...I am completely open to the fact that I might be wrong...and would really like to believe that the MSM is an equal opportunity screw-er-over-er....

The ClayTaurus said:
He practically is, it won't be long.
I loved Vonnegut when I was young, still remember some of the key points, but he was done 25 years ago.

The ClayTaurus said:
You're all just doing the same thing, including demanding the other admit self-fault. Stop.

I just consider this a step in our conversion to Islam, self flaggelation, get with the program you want us on. :huh:

Hagbard Celine said:
No, because,

Hmm, heard from at least 2 posters, make me 3 that think Rush and O'Reilly at the very least are blowhards. Haven't heard peep from a lefty saying the same about Maher or any other on the left. Actually going through all the threads, over and over again, find conservatives calling out GW on budget, deficit, poverty, and medicare. Don't hear anything constructive from Dems.

Could be the reason your party is on the descendant side of elections.

Kathianne said:
I loved Vonnegut when I was young, still remember some of the key points, but he was done 25 years ago.

I still love his old stuff--I was FORCED to read Cat's Cradle in high school and then read everything he wrote. Learned a lot of good stuff from his "different" perspective. I think he just likes being a rebel now. Assimilating into anything just never was his thing. His protagonists are nearly all lone oddballs dealing with the environment around them.

Hagbard Celine said:

Send a memo to PBS or CNN. Dammit, it's not like there aren't venues. Give it a rest.

Gem said:
and if I'm not mistaken...Chris Matthews has said some pretty inflammatory things that have gone relatively unnoticed by the MSM.

But...if you are getting tired of the news commentators angle...how about this one?

Why was Trent Lott forced to step down from his position as Senate Majority Leader when he said of Strom Thurmond at his 100th Birthday Celebration: "When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either,"

Even though Dashle, the Senate Minority leader, and other prominent Democrats stated publically that they didn't think Lott meant it in a racist way and after Lott apologized profusely and very publically for the way the statement sounded

BUT

Hillary Clintons little gaffe about Ghandi being a 7-11 employee...raised nary an eyebrow and Dick Durbin's comment comparing camp x-ray which held suspected terrorists in harsh conditions for less than 6 months to Nazi concentration camps, and the regimes and absolute heinous acts of genocide and mass murder of Pol Pot and the Khmer Rouge meet with little more than a request for an apology (and he gave a half-assed one) before the stories DISAPPEARED from the MSM even though those on the right were furious?

Why did Harry Reid receive very little bad press when he called the President of the United States a "loser" in front of a bunch of highschool students during a civics lesson (shouldn't we expect a bit more from our Senate Minority Leader?) but Cheney has yet to be let off the hook for privately telling another adult (who only moments before had been calling him corrupt and a war profiteer and was not looking for a smarmy photo-op) to "go fuck himself?" Do I think Cheney was right? Absolutely not. It was very unprofessional....however...I think that a private argument between two adults is a bit different than childishly bashing the President of the United States of America in front of a bunch of children ....yet the media has harped on one and not the other.....why?

I am not saying that Republicans and Conservatives do not say disgusting things...they do. I'm not saying that Democrats and Liberals are the only ones who speak off the cuff...they aren't. Both sides have their share of assholes and people who have run their mouths when they should have shutup...both have said things that are absolutely unconscionable...

My contention is NOT that one side is worse than the other...my conention is that one side gets a break...and the other side does not...

So while it may be fun to post a list of disgusting, unprofessional comments by BOTH sides of the spectrum...lets save that for another day. The examples I posted were chosen because I think they show similar events in which the person on the left got let off the hook while the person on the right got raked over the coals. Feel free to disagree, I know you will.

What I'd like to see are examples where the politicans (just like the political commentators) on the left were slammed as badly or with such serious consequences as the politicians on the right... Despite what some might believe...I am completely open to the fact that I might be wrong...and would really like to believe that the MSM is an equal opportunity screw-er-over-er....

Trent Lott feels like he was ultimately done in by Frist, at least that's what I read.

I will grant to you that the media gives a pass to some liberals. I would submit that Jon Stewart is a comedian, and Bill Maher is trying to (but failing) to be a comedian. Caring about what George Carlin says is silly.

But ultimately I will agree with you on the original topic of this thread.

Can I just say, on an unrelated related note, that Bill Maher said one thing which I found very funny?

He was doing his opening monologue, which as usual was terrible, when he told a joke so bad that even his monkey audience didn't laugh. Without pausing, he said "It's a FEMA joke... you'll get it in 5 to 7 days."

He's a big asshole, but that was a funny way to save his ass from a terrible joke.

Politically, liberals cannot hold an intellectual discourse or debate with any real substance. That is why their serious political radio or television shows all fail. Air America died before it even got started. There is no liberal counterpart to Rush Limbaugh.

So liberals have to come up with babbling idiots such as Maher, etc. to command any attention from the stupid, ignorant liberal fodder who will suck up their smarmy "polical commentary" without thinking twice.

I doubt that any liberals could even manage to seriously listen to Rush Limbaugh's show for one whole week. Their short attention spans couldn't hack it or they'd become dazed and confused or they'd stop listening and start swearing as soon as they heard something they disagreed with because they don't really listen to opposing viewpoints anyway.

I happen to think Rush Limbaugh is a GREAT POLITICAL COMMENTATOR. For every stupid, dumb joke or comment he has made in his what? 20 successful years of radio broadcasting - for which the liberals beat him up and harp on constantly - there has been a TON of very intelligent, informed, and incisive political commentary every day - which, of course, they totally ignore. There is absolutely NO COMPARISON between him and the likes of Maher, etc. The liberal left hates Rush and reviles him and attacks him relentlessly because he is DANGEROUS to the liberal ideology. :thup:

Gem said:

BUT

Sorry had to repost this whole quote but thought it so worthy...Bravo Gem!!

Forum List

Back