Bill Cosby charges wont go anywhere

Qball

Corner Pocket
Oct 8, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I don't see how the charge against Bill Cosby will result in him being found guilty or going to jail. I doubt it will go to trial.

To start with, the nature of the case itself seems suspect. People heavily focus on Cosby's admission about having Quaaludes in the 1970s, but that's not the relevant testimony. What's relevant is that the former DA declined to press charges in this case due to insufficient evidence, he said it several times in the media, he said nothing in the deposition would change his opinion, and that Andrea Constand's police statements differed from what she alleged in her civil complaint.

The fact that the current DA used the Cosby case still under the statute of limitations to win an election and then pressed charges literally days before the SOLs ran out should show this is more political than an effectuation of justice.

It seems strange that the DA could encourage Constand to go to civil court for her grievance, then when she does and gets a settlement, the deposition that was supposed to be the result of a confidentiality agreement would be used to press charges against Cosby. It seems like the DA is gaming the system to uphold a campaign promise.

As for the other women making allegations, I don't know that any of them should be allowed to testify. Regardless of whether you believe their stories, unsubstantiated claims of assault should not go into consideration that would've 20-30+ years old at the time of this incident, and most of which we're only recently hearing about. Quaaludes have been off the market for over thirty years, so even his admission that he had them once upon a time wouldn't be relevant to this case.

It would only be tangentially related to this case, which does fall within the state of limitations. Cosby shouldn't have to worry about defending he-said/she-said allegations and decades old grievances while on trial for assault.

So, I don't see this case going anywhere. I don't think the DA wants it to go to trial any more than Cosby does, and I doubt the judge will want to hold a trial only to have it overturned on appeal.

What I want to know is why all these women waited decades before bringing forth their accusations.

When he was arrested my heart sunk, a man who was the TV father of the 80's crumbled down from his own actions. It may go no where with the laws, but his legacy is destroyed.

I stopped liking him when he made racist remarks, being found guilty does not matter at this stage of the game, his name has been destroyed.

Forum List

Back