Biggest policy decision is NAFTA and my gut tells me Trump is not going to walk away

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Been following this as it's getting alot more media attention in Canada. At one time I felt Trump was going to walk away and bring jobs back, now Im not so sure. Both Canada and Mexico are afraid this deal will go away, while many Americans WANT it to go away. Why is that?

Simple. Mexico steals your manufacturing jobs, Canada steals all jobs abroad a wide spectrum and enters your businesses. I feel Trumps plan now is to just let it run on and on, the Dems will use all his failed promises against him in 2020. If and when the next government comes in, NAFTA will remain and jobs will continue to be siphoned out of America, Western liberty will continue to wane.

There is a reason the Democrats don't present their policies, because they aren't popular. Thy rely totally on Trump being deemed racist and they rely on the minority and asylum vote. If Trump gets rid of NAFTA it puts the Democrats in a VERY bad spot. They have to choose to go against him and upset the rustbelt who want NAFTA gone, or agree with him and lose their votes from Wall Street and tech companies. If he does nothing, he's just another lying politician and become much easier to attack in 2020.

Trump is the only one who can turn the clock back on this and illustrate that the U.S economy is much better with some control over exploitive nations like Mexico and Canada, otherwise, his message is going to be much tougher in 2020, regardless of tax cuts. He is literally a tearing up of a deal away from gaining 100's of thousands of jobs and tax revenue, there has been no progress in talks and Canada intends to let it continue in hopes Trump falters at some point.

‘No rush’: Trump softens stand on NAFTA, says he prefers deal to termination

‘No rush’: Trump softens stand on NAFTA, says he prefers deal to termination

WOW, and like clockwork, a well known journalist here mimics my thoughts:

Andrew Coyne: NAFTA talks could outlast Trump, so Canada might do better playing for time
Andrew Coyne: NAFTA talks could outlast Trump, so Canada might do better playing for time

Last edited:

Forum List

Back