Big Problem

On the "server not found" issue, I was looking around and found this large thread where many people were discussing their problems and suggestions for what it could be. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=471312 I read a couple pages of it and am not suggesting that you read it necessarily.

In this case, it sounds like it's an issue with the DNS caching for some USMB users' computers. Because that would make sense, since the USMB domain's nameservers changed when I took over the site, and the problems have been happening since then. So I would suggest trying the following: Press the Windows key and hit R (does the same as Start -> Run if you have Run there). Type "cmd" in that window without quotes. In this DOS window type "ipconfig /flushdns" and hit enter. Then type exit and enter to close the window.

More explanation of this... The USMB site isn't going down during those times, but I think your computer is looking at the old IP addresses (the previous owner's server). I think that if you can't reach the server, then do the flushdns command. Then I think it will work every time your computer is using those DNS servers but it could rotate around and you could get bad ones again in the future. There might be a way to put in the IP addresses in a file on your computer one time so that it doesn't have to look up DNS and get the bad old results.

I'm not sure if this fix will work for everyone or anyone, but that's my best advice. If it doesn't work, more info would be useful. Like on that thread, some people found that FireFox was messing up and giving the error, but if they went to IE7 they could get to the website fine. Or on another computer.

Hm, actually nevermind what I just posted for now..! I think I just stumbled upon the main problem and should be able to fix it shortly.

Update: Changed the values but I think you could still have issues until your ISP does it's DNS update next, hopefully within 12 hours they update it all. Although maybe flushdns could help speed / skip that process.

The problem also seems to be with www.usmessageboard.com and not with usmessageboard.com (without www in front). I changed the scripts so that it won't try to send you to the www version. If you have a problem then you can try removing the www manually. This is just for the next 12 hours or so, then the www will work again fine.

Please continue to report problems besides with the blog system. Am working on that, but just made it way worse...

Ok, blogs should be working now.

Although I can't get the nice SE friendly URL's part to work anymore... so now it's longer URL's... hope to fix that someday if I can get their tech support to help.

Forum List

Back