Biden: Trust Us!

Gem

Rookie
Aug 11, 2004
Ok, I apologize if this has been brought up already...but Biden's comments today worried me. I just try to imagine if McCain or Palin went out of the stump and said "Ok, when we get elected we're going to make a whole lot of tough decisions that all of you, our supporters, are going to disagree with and think are wrong...but trust us...cause we're right...and the right decisions are never popular."

People on BOTH sides of the political spectrum would be FREAKING OUT! But here is Biden...and has anyone heard of anyone being concerned about this statement?

Biden said (emphasis mine):
"Watch, we're gonna have an international crisis, a generated crisis, to test the mettle of this guy, I can give you at least four or five scenarios from where it might originate. And he's gonna need help. And the kind of help he's gonna need is, he's gonna need you - not financially to help him - we're gonna need you to use your influence, your influence within the community, to stand with him. Because it's not gonna be apparent initially, it's not gonna be apparent that we're right."

"I've forgotten more about foreign policy than most of my colleagues know, so I'm not being falsely humble with you. I think I can be value added, but this guy has it,"

[Obama is]"gonna need your help. Because I promise you, you all are gonna be sitting here a year from now going, 'Oh my God, why are they there in the polls? Why is the polling so down? Why is this thing so tough?' We're gonna have to make some incredibly tough decisions in the first two years. So I'm asking you now, I'm asking you now, be prepared to stick with us. Remember the faith you had at this point because you're going to have to reinforce us." There are gonna be a lot of you who want to go, 'Whoa, wait a minute, yo, whoa, whoa, I don't know about that decision. Because if you think the decision is sound when they're made, which I believe you will when they're made, they're not likely to be as popular as they are sound. Because if they're popular, they're probably not sound."

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where President Obama would be incredibly low in national polls...making unpopular decisions that people don't think are sound....

And here is Biden...telling people in advance that this is going to happen...and that all the supporters should just "trust him."

Do you? Will you if you don't think the decisions they are making are sound?

They have their own agenda. Only in election year is when they would say what the people want to hear. After election year until the next, they're back in business working with the agenda of constituents that put them in office in the first place. 2010, 2012, 2014, years on, good to our ears. The odd years, lobbyists, special interests.

Ok, I apologize if this has been brought up already...but Biden's comments today worried me. I just try to imagine if McCain or Palin went out of the stump and said "Ok, when we get elected we're going to make a whole lot of tough decisions that all of you, our supporters, are going to disagree with and think are wrong...but trust us...cause we're right...and the right decisions are never popular."

People on BOTH sides of the political spectrum would be FREAKING OUT! But here is Biden...and has anyone heard of anyone being concerned about this statement?

I'm trying to imagine a scenario where President Obama would be incredibly low in national polls...making unpopular decisions that people don't think are sound....

And here is Biden...telling people in advance that this is going to happen...and that all the supporters should just "trust him."

Glad you started this, I was thinking of doing the same, pretty sure it was started already. Here's my contribution:

Hot Air Blog Archive Biden: Obama’s inexperience will prompt nations to test us

....Let’s not forget the example that Biden himself uses here. John Kennedy got tested because he met with Nikita Khrushchev with “no preconditions”. Kennedy acknowledged afterwards that it was an “unmitigated disaster“:

Kennedy’s aides convinced the press at the time that behind closed doors the president was performing well, but American diplomats in attendance, including the ambassador to the Soviet Union, later said they were shocked that Kennedy had taken so much abuse. Paul Nitze, the assistant secretary of defense, said the meeting was “just a disaster.” Khrushchev’s aide, after the first day, said the American president seemed “very inexperienced, even immature.” Khrushchev agreed, noting that the youthful Kennedy was “too intelligent and too weak.” The Soviet leader left Vienna elated — and with a very low opinion of the leader of the free world.

Kennedy’s assessment of his own performance was no less severe. Only a few minutes after parting with Khrushchev, Kennedy, a World War II veteran, told James Reston of The New York Times that the summit meeting had been the “roughest thing in my life.” Kennedy went on: “He just beat the hell out of me. I’ve got a terrible problem if he thinks I’m inexperienced and have no guts. Until we remove those ideas we won’t get anywhere with him.”

What resulted? The Berlin Wall and the Cuban missile crisis. Kennedy wound up trading strategic intel and missile installations in western Asia in exchange for Soviet withdrawal of the nuclear missiles from Cuba. The entire Kennedy administration turned out to be a foreign-policy disaster that was only overlooked because of the tragic assassination of Kennedy in Dallas in 1963.

I agree with Biden. Obama is exactly like Kennedy in this regard, and our enemies will test us by threatening our interests around the globe if we elect Obama. I’d rather avoid the problem altogether and elect a man who puts enough fear into the minds of our enemies to keep them from testing us at all.

If it isn't fear tactics, I should would like to know what he's talking about. You think some talking head will ask him to clarify this a little bit before America is stuck with this guy?

What does it say about Biden and his boss that this is brought up by the candidate before the election?

-Joe

The answer? Why fuck no I don't trust him/them. Not now, not ever.

Sounds like Obama wants to bring back the draft.
A civilian thought and talk police, a portable guillotine would be a nice touch too.

What's wrong with you people?

Obama and Biden have no clue what they are going to do if they get elected. They've been talking about change, but they have no idea what that means. They'll be winging it for the first couple of years. After that, Congress will be replaced by more conservative members and then things will run a bit more smoothly. Then the people will say, "hey, things are running pretty good. Let's try not to change anything." Obama will get reelected and the conservatives will continue calling the shots. In the end, people will think Obama was great, but we'll know that he had little to do with the direction of the country.

Obama and Biden have no clue what they are going to do if they get elected. They've been talking about change, but they have no idea what that means. They'll be winging it for the first couple of years. After that, Congress will be replaced by more conservative members and then things will run a bit more smoothly. Then the people will say, "hey, things are running pretty good. Let's try not to change anything." Obama will get reelected and the conservatives will continue calling the shots. In the end, people will think Obama was great, but we'll know that he had little to do with the direction of the country.

And they know it, even the media knows they know it. Using the basketball metaphor, they are trying to 'run out the clock'...

Palin Becomes Increasingly Accessible To The National Media - From The Road

October 20, 2008, 12:35 AM
Palin Becomes Increasingly Accessible To The National Media
Posted by Scott Conroy| Comments96

(CBS)
From CBS News' Scott Conroy:

(COLORADO SPRINGS) It was less than two weeks ago when Sarah Palin astonished her traveling press corps by lifting the curtain (literally) and journeying to the back of her campaign plane to answer reporters’ questions for the first time after 40 days on the campaign trail. But the candidate who has been criticized for having a bunker mentality when it came to the national media can now lay legitimate claim to being more accessible than either Joe Biden or Barack Obama.

In the past two days alone, Palin has answered questions from her national press corps on three separate occasions. On Saturday, she held another plane availability, and on Sunday, she offered an impromptu press conference on the tarmac upon landing in Colorado Springs. A few minutes later, she answered even more questions from reporters during an off-the-record stop at a local ice cream shop.

By contrast, Biden hasn’t held a press conference in more than a month, and Obama hasn’t taken questions from his full traveling press corps since the end of September. John McCain—who spent most of the primary season holding what seemed like one, never-ending media availability—hasn’t done one since Sept. 23. ....

Forum List

Back