Biden Administration Tosses Out 2017 Trump-Era Rule That Allowed Big Oil to Kill Birds

The Biden administration scrapped a controversial Trump-era legal opinion that gutted protections for hundreds of species of migratory birds.

In December 2017, Daniel Jorjani, then the top lawyer at the Department of the Interior and a former longtime adviser to the fossil fuel mogul Koch brothers, issued an interpretation of the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) that effectively legalized all unintentional migratory bird deaths, including those caused by chemical spills, oil and gas operations, power lines and wind turbines.

Jorjani argued that the law was only meant to prohibit the intentional hunting, capturing or killing of bird species, and that as long as a company or individual does not mean to kill birds, they are protected from prosecution.

Under the 100-year-old conservation law, it is illegal to pursue, hunt, capture, kill or possess migratory birds or their parts without proper permits. And since the 1970s, the federal government has occasionally prosecuted timber, fossil fuel and mining companies for unintentional but often avoidable bird deaths caused by industrial activity.

If you don't know the background, the Trump Administration was terrible for the environment and animal rights. He gutted the Endangered Species Act, torched the EPA, and also did the above to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act from the days of Roosevelt and conservationist bird lovers. Today marks a good day for animal rights and the rule of law against big business.

EDIT: Everything in italics is from the article, not me. "Gutted" is their word not mine.
Yep, it's quicker to just kill them with wind turbines!!!!

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Program | Conserving America's Birds (fws.gov)

Wind turbines take a terrible toll on birds | CFACT

How Many Birds Do Wind Turbines Really Kill? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

View attachment 466070View attachment 466071

In terms of bird fatalities, there is no comparison between wind or fossil fuel generated power. In the Sovacool study cited above, it was found that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 bird deaths per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity, whereas fossil-fuel power stations are responsible for 5.2 fatalities per GWh. According to those numbers, fossil-fuel power stations are 17 times more lethal than wind farms. At those rates, if we replaced fossil fuels with wind energy, we could potentially prevent millions of bird deaths.
But the OP was aimed at oil producers (Big Oil) not electrical generators. How were oil producers killing birds exactly and what regulation is going to stop it.

Fossil fuels generate electrical power - so it's really the same. It's comparing fossil fuel based electricity and wind based electricity.

The Biden administration scrapped a controversial Trump-era legal opinion that gutted protections for hundreds of species of migratory birds.

In December 2017, Daniel Jorjani, then the top lawyer at the Department of the Interior and a former longtime adviser to the fossil fuel mogul Koch brothers, issued an interpretation of the 1918 Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) that effectively legalized all unintentional migratory bird deaths, including those caused by chemical spills, oil and gas operations, power lines and wind turbines.

Jorjani argued that the law was only meant to prohibit the intentional hunting, capturing or killing of bird species, and that as long as a company or individual does not mean to kill birds, they are protected from prosecution.

Under the 100-year-old conservation law, it is illegal to pursue, hunt, capture, kill or possess migratory birds or their parts without proper permits. And since the 1970s, the federal government has occasionally prosecuted timber, fossil fuel and mining companies for unintentional but often avoidable bird deaths caused by industrial activity.

If you don't know the background, the Trump Administration was terrible for the environment and animal rights. He gutted the Endangered Species Act, torched the EPA, and also did the above to the Migratory Bird Treaty Act from the days of Roosevelt and conservationist bird lovers. Today marks a good day for animal rights and the rule of law against big business.

EDIT: Everything in italics is from the article, not me. "Gutted" is their word not mine.

You want wind farms which kill rare raptors. They get a special dispensation for killing the birds. Wherever they are they decimate raptor and bat populations so spare us your faux concern.
Obviously he does,but what else did you expect from him?

Yep, it's quicker to just kill them with wind turbines!!!!

U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service - Migratory Bird Program | Conserving America's Birds (fws.gov)

Wind turbines take a terrible toll on birds | CFACT

How Many Birds Do Wind Turbines Really Kill? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

View attachment 466070View attachment 466071

In terms of bird fatalities, there is no comparison between wind or fossil fuel generated power. In the Sovacool study cited above, it was found that wind farms are responsible for 0.3 bird deaths per gigawatt-hour (GWh) of electricity, whereas fossil-fuel power stations are responsible for 5.2 fatalities per GWh. According to those numbers, fossil-fuel power stations are 17 times more lethal than wind farms. At those rates, if we replaced fossil fuels with wind energy, we could potentially prevent millions of bird deaths.
But the OP was aimed at oil producers (Big Oil) not electrical generators. How were oil producers killing birds exactly and what regulation is going to stop it.

Fossil fuels generate electrical power - so it's really the same. It's comparing fossil fuel based electricity and wind based electricity.
That's not Big Oil. So, no. It's not the same. I suspect it had to do with open top tank requirements. Because that's the only bird issue I have ever been aware of in the industry. And it's not a big oil problem. It's a little guy problem. And even that was never really a problem.

It's grandstanding. Just like the drilling ban was grandstanding. No real value except to feed the faithful BS.

If you can't tell me what specific regulatory change this is covering then it's pay no attention to the man behind the curtain time.

Best estimate of turbine bird deaths per year in the United States is under 3 million ... compared to 30 million death from overhead power lines ... we measure bird deaths from house cats as closer to 300 million ...

Complaining about blade-strikes is disingenuous or ill-informed ...

How many bird deaths from oil?
How many human deaths from wind power? ... [giggle] ...
:dunno:

Or automobiles? ... [giggle] ...

Bird deaths by Big Oil was the topic of the OP, right? I am in the right thread, right?

Can folks quit acting dumb and just be happy for the birds? Hopefully the threat of tort will make these big corporations think twice about how they pollute and kill birds

Who is the ugly guy in your avatar and photo?

Can folks quit acting dumb and just be happy for the birds? Hopefully the threat of tort will make these big corporations think twice about how they pollute and kill birds
Your first clue that you were being misled should have been when they never said anything about the "Big Oil" regulation that was being changed. The political grandstanding was done for your benefit. Same as the drilling "ban."

Your first clue that you were being misled should have been when they never said anything about the "Big Oil" regulation that was being changed. The political grandstanding was done for your benefit. Same as the drilling "ban."
Nothing is being changed; read the article. Well, I guess the interpretation of the original law is changing from the Justice dept, but that's it.

As usual Biden is screwing up. Trump's action was reasonable. Wonder who we can sue for eagles flying into those wind turbines?

Oil pipelines are far less dangerous. In terms of oil moved per accident compared to any other method they are orders of magnitude safer. The raptors help keep the vermin under control. You should learn more about ecology than you apparently do.

Yeah ... right ...

Your post #41 "Raptors are rare" ... your post #49 "The raptors help keep the vermin under control" ... hypocrite ...

This was a natural gas pipeline -

Nothing is being changed; read the article. Well, I guess the interpretation of the original law is changing from the Justice dept, but that's it.
I got that. What was that regulation?

Can someone please tell me how many birds Big Oil was going to kill that Biden saved?

And how those birds were going to die if Joe hadn't saved them?

I mean if you are going to celebrate a victory don't you want to at least know a few of the basic details of what you are celebrating?

Or are you so blinded by party allegiance that you will celebrate anything they tell you to celebrate without question?

That doesn't seem like a good look.

Migratory Bird Act of 1918 or some shit. Trump administration was like "nah we don't care", and this topic is just about some happiness to see Biden administration putting some emphasis that they may actually sue Big Corporations for this stuff.

that's all. I dunno why it turned into a clusterfuck...I'm just happy to see birds get some additional protection. good grief

I mean if you are going to celebrate a victory don't you want to at least know a few of the basic details of what you are celebrating?

Or are you so blinded by party allegiance that you will celebrate anything they tell you to celebrate without question?

That doesn't seem like a good look.

Instead of triple posting once every 2 minutes, give me a second to answer your question...

Migratory Bird Act of 1918 or some shit. Trump administration was like "nah we don't care", and this topic is just about some happiness to see Biden administration putting some emphasis that they may actually sue Big Corporations for this stuff.

that's all. I dunno why it turned into a clusterfuck...I'm just happy to see birds get some additional protection. good grief
I know all about that act. Apparently you don't though. How many birds do you think would have been impacted and how would they have been impacted?

Let's say it was three birds, OK, would you celebrate three birds not dying and be ok with 3 million dying from some other industry? Would you celebrate that? Would that be something you would brag about?

There's a reason no numbers were mentioned. There's a reason no details were given about what the migratory bird act requires of producers. It doesn't amount to a hill of beans. When it was originally enacted it made a difference. Since that time all open top tanks have netting and there aren't that many open top tanks anyway. Trump took credit for halting a regulation that would have made zero impact to how operators operate. Biden took credit for not halting a regulation that would have made zero impact in bird deaths. Both were political grandstanding.

LefTard Logic:
“Save the birds...destroy the human fetus.”
q36g269NLgdt-7b6ZyLHhKubDLgMVIK64R_HzcvyFPc.jpg

Actually I do find it pretty amazing how some people can vilify one industry for bird deaths and look the other way for another industry for no other reason than their masters told them to.

Not a good look.

Forum List

Back