Bible Verses on Homosexuality

Thankfully this is a nation of law and not the christian bible
look how long it has taken to get out of it's grip...

If you lived by the Bible (and understood the Bible) your life would be much better off.
If this country lived by Biblical principles, this country would be much better off.

THIS is why people are upset. It's NOT hatred of Homosexuals. It's NOT because the Liberals are winning.

Important to remember though, the Bible's just 1 religion's holy text among literally thousands of others. Binds Jews Torah, Bibles bind Christians, but not everyone's a Jew or Christian. So unless you're prepared to go out in public and wave a Bible in the air and shout, "I believe this! You have to as well or else!" sit down, and shut up. :)

The Bible is rife with scripture clearly staying homosexuality is a sin and an abomination to God Do you disagree?

Agree it says it's an abomination. What it might say in the 'other half' is moot as per Deuteronomy 13:1 'do not add to, or take away from the commandments in Torah.'

Anyone who does shall be put to death.

As was done.

Biblical scholars can explain this (I'm not one obviously!) - you should not add to or take away anything from the Bible. The rules/laws of putting people to death were in context to that time. It was a form of punishment.

God's rules for standards of living of what is sin NEVER CHANGE.

The Bible is rife with scripture clearly staying homosexuality is a sin and an abomination to God Do you disagree?

Agree it says it's an abomination. What it might say in the 'other half' is moot as per Deuteronomy 13:1 'do not add to, or take away from the commandments in Torah.'

As was done.

Biblical scholars can explain this (I'm not one obviously!) - you should not add to or take away anything from the Bible. The rules/laws of putting people to death were in context to that time. It was a form of punishment.

...From Torah, not Bible. They aren't interchangeable terms.

It is the practice of homosexuality that is condemned gays like St. Augustine who repent are in the same position as the junkies of Corinth who were translated into English as magicians. The sexually atypical hypothalamus like the addictive personality is still there. And like the secularized verses of Matthew used in 12 step programs the repentance does not necessarily take the first time. However heterosexual adultery and divorce is condemned more in both testaments than being gay and that is not generally preached. Being queer doesn't even make the ten commandments but adultery does. There are quite a few abominations in every church. For example, in the last chapter of Timothy I male believers are enjoined to marry or at least shack up permanently with childless widows. (Being a kinsman redeemer means you are permitted additional nookie and become heir to the widow's estate as an incentive. The Old Testament has no examples of anyone at the front of the list for this office ever performing it.) Preachers are absolutely terrified of preaching that passage as written in context, it could easily lead to a reduced collections.

Agreed. Pedophilia is not even mentioned in the Bible, yet, it's an abomination (and, of course, a sin). Of course, people could argue/spin that it's not because it is not in there. Nor is smoking.

You must be enlightened to correctly interpret the Bible, regardless of translations.

That's the Old Testament which all ya supposed Christians pay no attention to. Except when the subject of gay marriage comes up.

Actually, I used a quote from the NEW TESTAMENT (Romans in New Testament by the way....)

Romans 1:24-27
24 Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, 25 because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
26 For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; 27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.

I do not believe the bible to be anything but a collection of fables

I grew up in the Lutheran church. They even believe many stories are just "illustrations" to make a point (like Jesus' parables) - I am now part of a Baptist church and they believe in a literal translation (e.g. there was an actual Adam and Eve, etc.) -

The bottom line is - if you are a Christian, to abandon "self" and to live for God and his Kingdom. To accept his free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. The Bible is an instruction manual, and is also a way for God to speak to you. THAT'S what I believe.

Many people on this planet believe many different things, but if you ever find yourself thinking or wondering, maybe there is something to this, that is GOD drawing you. Don't ignore that.

This topic is a total waste of effort to even discuss regardless of your position on it.

I disagree. The Bible is quite clear, and unless you try to spin it another way, God considers homosexuality of any kind a sin. The Bible talks about BEASTIALITY EXACTLY they way it does HOMOSEXUALITY.

Anyone that is a true, born again Christian knows what the Bible says and God's intent. PERIOD.

A non-Christian can spin and research word derivations all day long, but, ultimately, God speaks to the heart of the true Christian.

I disagree are many Christians born again or otherwise who are completely ignorant of what the scriptures say.

And God speaks to our minds and hearts

Thankfully this is a nation of law and not the christian bible
look how long it has taken to get out of it's grip...

If you lived by the Bible (and understood the Bible) your life would be much better off.
If this country lived by Biblical principles, this country would be much better off.

THIS is why people are upset. It's NOT hatred of Homosexuals. It's NOT because the Liberals are winning.

If i was going to be upset over this, it wouldn't be this. It would be the corruption of our government and the usurpation of law.

As was done.

Was it a sin to disobey the law of Moses? Was it sin for Noah had he not built an ark? Would it have been a sin for Abraham if he had not offered up Isaac?

Are we commanded to follow the law of Moses? Are we commanded to build an ark? Are we commanded to sacrifice our firstborn son? Do we sin by not doing those things?

God commands and red as He pleases. He is God. And we aren't commanded to live off only The Bible. We are commanded to live off every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

That's why the gift of the Holy Ghost is so important. When we are baptized and are given the gift of the Holy Ghost we are entitled to a member of the Godhead for our constant companion. We literally have God with us at all times.

I grew up in the Lutheran church. They even believe many stories are just "illustrations" to make a point (like Jesus' parables) - I am now part of a Baptist church and they believe in a literal translation (e.g. there was an actual Adam and Eve, etc.) -

The bottom line is - if you are a Christian, to abandon "self" and to live for God and his Kingdom. To accept his free gift of salvation through Jesus Christ. The Bible is an instruction manual, and is also a way for God to speak to you. THAT'S what I believe.

Many people on this planet believe many different things, but if you ever find yourself thinking or wondering, maybe there is something to this, that is GOD drawing you. Don't ignore that.

The problem is that many of you religious types want to push what you believe on everyone else.

I have no problem with contributing productive people in society taking part in all the benefits and protections provided by that society.

Life is short and I simply do not believe in an afterlife so if twp people can be happy at absolutely no inconvenience to anyone else I don't care what they do in fact I celebrate it.

And that's your right, but it doesn't change what the Bible says.

And if you want to believe what it says then go ahead but no one else has to and quite frankly you have no right to tell anyone they have to.

It's none of your business what two consenting adults do.

Things you should be outraged and taking action against, instead of arguing about two adults that love each other, are female genital mutilation, child sexual abuse, slavery, captured women being use by terrorists for rape and brutality, young boys being used as pedophile sex toys, massacres, massive historic destruction, kids being hung on public display for eating during the day, young girls being give as brides as war prizes.
Get activated by real sins on a massive scale, not errors in translation of the bible.
Go after things that are really unethical, not people who are not harming anyone by wanted to commit to each other in love and life.
You want to get angry, get angry about something deserving of all our outrage, not marriage of two adults.
Help those who have become victims of abuse and brutality. That is you religious and ethical duty. There are real sins and suffering out there. Try saving those people.

Things you should be outraged and taking action against, instead of arguing about two adults that love each other, are female genital mutilation, child sexual abuse, slavery, captured women being use by terrorists for rape and brutality, young boys being used as pedophile sex toys, massacres, massive historic destruction, kids being hung on public display for eating during the day, young girls being give as brides as war prizes.
Get activated by real sins on a massive scale, not errors in translation of the bible.
Go after things that are really unethical, not people who are not harming anyone by wanted to commit to each other in love and life.
You want to get angry, get angry about something deserving of all our outrage, not marriage of two adults.
Help those who have become victims of abuse and brutality. That is you religious and ethical duty. There are real sins and suffering out there. Try saving those people.
If someone believes in Christianity then they believe in the concept of sin. You are in no position to dictate what they should ignore. The fact that other sins go on in the world doesn't make any of the others go away, it doesn't work like that.

The bigger sin to me is taking away a people's right to determine things like marriage laws. It is now to be dictated by a ruling class, that's way worse than gay marriage and a big departure from what our country was founded on.

If someone believes in Christianity then they believe in the concept of sin. You are in no position to dictate what they should ignore. The fact that other sins go on in the world doesn't make any of the others go away, it doesn't work like that.

The bigger sin to me is taking away a people's right to determine things like marriage laws. It is now to be dictated by a ruling class, that's way worse than gay marriage and a big departure from what our country was founded on.

There are so many other things happening far more dire and important.

Yes, I have a right to speak because they are incorrect in their 'interpretation' of the bible as a justification for hate of gays. They should seek the real meanings of the hebrew, not the english translations. I have posted on the mistranslations and given the meanings of the original words.
Yes, I have an obligation to speak up about hate against others that is wrongly based.
Gays are not the problem, hate and intolerance are. Jesus taught people to love and forgive. If you miss those lessons, the rest of the bible is irrelevant. To use the bible as a justification of your prejudice and hate, you are in the wrong.

Forum List

Back