Bible passages that the religious right must pretend do not exist...

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott
You can safely assume that stupid people almost always quote other stupid people saying stupid shit.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks shows only that you're at loss for an actual answer to what he said.

Having a moniker such as yours says you aren't really an Atheist. One cannot be one and a Buddhist at the same time.

Firstly, there is meant to be a somewhat ironic nature to my screen name, I did it on purpose.

Secondly, I admire the Buddha for being someone of wisdom with valuable teachings about modesty, respect for yourself and others, mindfulness, non violence and so on. That is why I have taken the moniker that I have. Because I strive to be the Buddha of atheism. Now you could say that, I am a bit full of myself for having this screen name or that you think I'm failing at my goal and those would at least be somewhat worthwhile criticisms. But to say that my screen name somehow precludes me from being an atheist is one of the most laughably idiotic things I've seen posted on this forum to date.

So quite frankly, you aren't an Atheist. Buddhism is a religion, atheism is a disbelief of religion. I'm sorry, you'll have to do better than that.

Are you dense or just out of ways to attack me? Sorry but it is you that must do better. I am in no way required to fit into your idea of what an atheist is. There are religions that I respect. Atheists are not all required to hate all religions that is the beauty of atheism. We are not required to do anything.

Ha, laughable. Atheism is as a rigid of a school of thought as they come. You can wriggle and squirm all you like my friend, but you painted yourself into a corner. You cannot be someone who doesn't believe in religion, yet 'respects' certain tenets of a particular religion itself. I highly doubt you know what Atheism is. I do. I've dealt with many of them in the past.

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott
You can safely assume that stupid people almost always quote other stupid people saying stupid shit.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks shows only that you're at loss for an actual answer to what he said.

Having a moniker such as yours says you aren't really an Atheist. One cannot be one and a Buddhist at the same time.

Firstly, there is meant to be a somewhat ironic nature to my screen name, I did it on purpose.

Secondly, I admire the Buddha for being someone of wisdom with valuable teachings about modesty, respect for yourself and others, mindfulness, non violence and so on. That is why I have taken the moniker that I have. Because I strive to be the Buddha of atheism. Now you could say that, I am a bit full of myself for having this screen name or that you think I'm failing at my goal and those would at least be somewhat worthwhile criticisms. But to say that my screen name somehow precludes me from being an atheist is one of the most laughably idiotic things I've seen posted on this forum to date.

So quite frankly, you aren't an Atheist. Buddhism is a religion, atheism is a disbelief of religion. I'm sorry, you'll have to do better than that.

Are you dense or just out of ways to attack me? Sorry but it is you that must do better. I am in no way required to fit into your idea of what an atheist is. There are religions that I respect. Atheists are not all required to hate all religions that is the beauty of atheism. We are not required to do anything.

Ha, laughable. Atheism is as a rigid of a school of thought as they come. You can wriggle and squirm all you like my friend, but you painted yourself into a corner. You cannot be someone who doesn't believe in religion, yet 'respects' certain tenets of a particular religion itself. I highly doubt you know what Atheism is. I do. I've dealt with many of them in the past.

Atheism is about as rigidly organized as a herd of cats. And I can do and think as I very well please, with no regard to your opinion. Your idea of what atheism is and what it actually is are two vastly different things. Sorry but we're done here. I respect and engage many of the users here that are on the opposite side of this issue, but not you.

It is truly amazing how people mold their deity according to their own prejudices. Just like all the dupes cheering in Berlin Sportpalast. Disgusting.

Its funny how you mold the Christian faith according to your own prejudices. Why is it you use the Bible against us when you don't even believe in it?

I believe that the text exists because I have read it. I believe that it says what the words mean. That doesn't take any faith.
I have to disagree......saying that said text says something contradictory to other texts requires a choice of faith.......

It is demonstrable that some parts of the Bible contradict other parts.

For instance early on it says that children are punished for their parents sins. Jesus's teachings say that they are not. And yet other passages claim that God's nature never changes. Clearly not all of those statements can be true.
I take it that is what you believe......

atheists have to reject the existence of all deities or they would not be atheists.....

Atheism is about as rigidly organized as a herd of cats. And I can do and think as I very well please, with no regard to your opinion. Your idea of what atheism is and what it actually is are two vastly different things. Sorry but we're done here. I respect and engage many of the users here that are on the opposite side of this issue, but not you.
certainly it is conceivable that one person may have a view of what atheism is and the entire world may have a different view......personally I think atheism is a combination of chocolate ice cream, caramel sauce and ignorance in a ration of 1:1:100,000........

atheists have to reject the existence of all deities or they would not be atheists.....
Most Buddhist are Atheist they don't believe in actual deities.

They believe in the teachings of Buddha, hence the name 'buddhism'

Buddhists believe they BECOME deities....

It is truly amazing how people mold their deity according to their own prejudices. Just like all the dupes cheering in Berlin Sportpalast. Disgusting.

Its funny how you mold the Christian faith according to your own prejudices. Why is it you use the Bible against us when you don't even believe in it?

I believe that the text exists because I have read it. I believe that it says what the words mean. That doesn't take any faith.
I have to disagree......saying that said text says something contradictory to other texts requires a choice of faith.......

For instance early on it says that children are punished for their parents sins. Jesus's teachings say that they are not. And yet other passages claim that God's nature never changes. Clearly not all of those statements can be true.

That is not a matter of belief. The statements contradict one another, so at least one of those statements cannot be true.

I never said that I didn't reject the existence of all deities. I very much do. I reject the notion of anything supernatural. However, I respect certain religious figures, such as the Buddha as historical figures and philosophers and I think that their teachings on how to be a good person have value.

But not all of them believe that the Buddha is in any way a deity.

That is not a matter of belief. The statements contradict one another, so at least one of those statements cannot be true.
cite me the verses that you believe contradict each other.....we will see if they really do or if you just believe they do.....

They are not true because you don't want them to be. You seek to destroy the foundations of the Christian faith. Such a quest blinds you, it doesn't enlighten you.

Really now? Any assertion made by you is hewn from the foundations of your own personal belief. If you are bashing us with the Bible, you must have your own faith based interpretation as well. I couldn't help but notice the political connotations in your OP as well.

That is just silly. One who doesn't have faith cannot have a faith-based interpretation. Nor should one assume that I agree with each of the passages that I quoted. I am just pointing out that when one says that religion and government should not be separate, that one should be careful what one wishes for.

I never said that I didn't reject the existence of all deities. I very much do. I reject the notion of anything supernatural. However, I respect certain religious figures, such as the Buddha as historical figures and philosophers and I think that their teachings on how to be a good person have value.

believing that Buddha was a nice guy doesn't make you a Buddhist any more than believing Jesus was a nice guy makes you a Christian.....

believing that Buddha was a nice guy doesn't make you a Buddhist any more than believing Jesus was a nice guy makes you a Christian.....

The Buddha on many occasions rebuked claims of his divinity while he was alive and never wanted to be revered as a deity, so in many ways you could say that those Buddhists that don't believe he is a god are more adherent of their religion than those that do.

You respect the teachings of Buddha, but not the source of his philosophy.

Interesting.

You respect the teachings of Buddha, but not the source of his philosophy.

Interesting.

Interesting. Perhaps. Paradoxical. Not at all.

The Buddha on many occasions rebuked claims of his divinity while he was alive and never wanted to be revered as a deity, so in many ways you could say that those Buddhists that don't believe he is a god are more adherent of their religion than those that do.
that you will have to take up with Buddha when you meet him in the afterlife.....

Forum List

Back