Beware of Undertow, not just Rip currents at Beach this Summer.!?

Rip current vs. undertow​

Don’t confuse a rip current with an undertow. Rip currents are much more dangerous, because they flow on the surface of the water, can be very strong, and can extend some distance from the shore. An undertow can occur when water sinks back downhill into the sea after a wave has carried it uphill onto the beach. Unless the beach has a steep incline, the undertow will probably not be very powerful. However, if the tide is high, the wave is large, and the beach slopes sharply downhill toward the water, the undertow could be strong enough to knock you down, but it won’t carry you far—maybe just far enough to get smacked by the next big wave coming in.

By swimming parallel to the shore, some under tows are may yards wide so it may take some time, but swim steady and once out of the current make your way back keep calm so as not to wear yourself out.
To add, and most important, do not fight it. Stay afloat and wait until you don't feel the current pulling on you. That is when you start swimming parallel, at an angle, towards the shore. If you are an inexperienced swimmer, wear a life vest! Areas that have life guards will have flags out each day showing if the current is dangerous or not. Areas without life guards - that's on you!

2007flags.jpg

Many who go to the Beach have heard of Rip currents. But I was also told that there is a current called the Undertow. This current will suck you under the water at the beach. So I want to tell everybody to be aware of the Undertow current. Not just the rip current. This current will pull you under the water.!! Watch out for the Undertow!! current!!??!!
In Canada, they are called Undertow and in Florida it is called Rip Current. They are the same. They both pull you underwater and out to sea. To escape it, you swim across the undertow parallel to the beach.

In Canada, they are called Undertow and in Florida it is called Rip Current. They are the same. They both pull you underwater and out to sea. To escape it, you swim across the undertow parallel to the beach.
i meant to say parallel to the shore.

Forum List

Back