Betsy DeVos: Common Core is Dead

Going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by the Obama Error.

13601528945_437c1d896c.jpg

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is dead at U.S. Department of Education | Get Schooled

:lol:

I'm not sure that I understand the point of your meme.

Do you find the second way too hard?
Unlike the left, I prefer children learn math, reading, and writing as well as history.

So it was too hard for you.

That's the problem with the way you learned math. You learned to memorize things, but not understand them.

How does turning subtraction into addition make people understand it?

You are subtracting, bigger to smaller. Simple.

Common Core is just a case of people with too much time on their hands trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

We're lagging behind the rest of the western world when it comes to education, and you say "if it ain't broke..."

The point is ideas like using addition to solve a subtraction problem, or vice versa allow students to see how all of these concepts are interrelated. Math is more than just memorizing an individual set of rules for each type of operation.

It's the difference between memorizing rules, and understanding.

One of the places we are probably behind is Japan, where all they do is memorize.

My major issue is that until you get parents who had common core, all you are doing is making kids see their parents as idiots when they ask for help with their homework. I have a Masters in ChemE so more than likely I can figure out common core, but unlike the egghead edu-crat idiots that came up with this I understand others may not be able to pick up on it, and isn't parental involvement one of the keys of a good education?

How does it help that little Emily thinks mommy and daddy are stupid because they can't figure out how to add to subtract?

Unlike the left, I prefer children learn math, reading, and writing as well as history.

That's the problem with the way you learned math. You learned to memorize things, but not understand them.

I always suspected that you were fucking stupid sans the ability for critical thinking........but you proved it by supporting "commie core". You strike me as the kind of idiot that would lay out ten pennies and have your "student" subtract six of them....and then chastise them for not doing it the "commie" math way. What the fuck are you the "Doctor" of again? The "Doctor" of stupidity?

Math is indeed "math"....addition and subtraction doesn't change.......just because a group of children come to the agreement that six times six equals thirty-five doesn't make that the correct answer just because a consensus was reached, ya dumb ass.

Hand a cashier a ten dollar fiat federal reserve note for a three dollar and eighteen cent purchase and let me know if you would accept getting back five dollars and eighty two cents in change because the general consensus was correct to them...according to commie core?
^ giggle.....as if any math is doable for you. Did you ever figure out the connection between dew point and the lift created by an aircraft's wings yet?

There is no learning involved in common core, it’s a bunch of politically correct horse shit is all It is ~ just for fucking retards.

The second way is the way you learn it so you can do it in your head.
To each his own. We all have our brains wired differently. Spent my adult life as a successful engineer and its gobbledygook to me.

That's the problem with education today. DC orders everyone how to teach 100 million kids from Alaska to Florida.

As I've said for a long time, DoE should be disbanded. I'm hoping DeVos has that plan. I know Dr Arnn who was on the short list for the job would have done it.

The second way is confusing and takes longer.

Not if that is how you learn to do it!
Why should we teach kids a longer way to do math?

Common Core is just a case of people with too much time on their hands trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

We're lagging behind the rest of the western world when it comes to education, and you say "if it ain't broke..."

The point is ideas like using addition to solve a subtraction problem, or vice versa allow students to see how all of these concepts are interrelated. Math is more than just memorizing an individual set of rules for each type of operation.

We are lagging in education because of asshole teacher unions.

The second way is the way you learn it so you can do it in your head.
To each his own. We all have our brains wired differently. Spent my adult life as a successful engineer and its gobbledygook to me.

That's the problem with education today. DC orders everyone how to teach 100 million kids from Alaska to Florida.

As I've said for a long time, DoE should be disbanded. I'm hoping DeVos has that plan. I know Dr Arnn who was on the short list for the job would have done it.

I am very sorry that you believe that to be true, but it is not.

As to my example, that is NOT Common Core. That is a method, or more commonly known as the curriculum. The curriculums that align with Common Core often use that approach. As another poster pointed out, in the 60s /70s that was called "New Math".

Common Core is standards, not curriculum. I taught to the Common Core standards when they were required but I taught using my own curriculum for Algebra, Geometry, and the other topics I taught.

Only because you've never done it that way before, and don't have any practice.
BS. Sell that crap to some naive college kids.

It's not "longer", it's just not what you're used to.

We are lagging in education because of asshole teacher unions.

You just have to post another baseless and ignorant statement, didn't you?

Will you ever learn? Teacher's unions do not have anything to do with standards, curriculum, or what goes on in the classroom. Why is that so difficult for you to understand?

Only because you've never done it that way before, and don't have any practice.
BS. Sell that crap to some naive college kids.

I guess you are just ignorant.

It's not "longer", it's just not what you're used to.
It's longer and needless crap. You're wasting your time here. Find someone else to sell your crap to.

Forum List

Back