Betsy DeVos: Common Core is Dead

No, if you add 5 + 5 you have 10 and there is no reason to carry a one. Now, if you add 25 + 25 ... then you add the 5s which are in the ones column... and you take that 1 which represents a 10 ,and does not belong in the ones column.. ( following so far??? ) then you carry it to the tens column where it belongs right above the 2 s that are in the tens column. your answer is 50... it's pretty damn simple for a second grader

"It doesn't belong in the one's column" Yep that is being mathematical.

hahaha , did you have a bad teacher in grammar school? was it really that hard? yes its pretty mathematical that when you have a number like 25, the 5 represents ones, and the big 2 represents 10s they usually help kids understand this in first grade with groups of apples or fish. i dont see how anyone can say that style of math is not helping to understand or only memorization unless they had a terrible teacher.

What Common Core teaches is really not that different. I find those complaining either don't know what it is or does not understand it.

This right wing "OMG OMG Common Core" s a sign of ignorance & stupidity.

Problem is , "somebody" decided little kids need to learn these deeper concepts first, before they just lean how to add and subtract or multiply in basic form. These other concepts such as making change for money in your head using a different technique, can also be introduced a bit later once kids knowledge has become more sophisticated. It obviously has been causing disruptions in more ways than one. Else, there would not be complaints about this experiment

A New Kind of Problem: The Common Core Math Standards

So you want to teach them one way & then change & teach them a different way?

Common Core was developed by a team of professional with years of education & experience.

There is always a complaint about education from the far right. "OMG OMG OMG the liberals are brainwashing our chjildren!!! OMG OMG OMG" and "OMG OMG OMG unioins!!!! Evil Unions are controlling our kids!!!!"
Common core sucks hairy ass

If common core was so great, then why did students get worse scores in math after 8 years of it?

The US keeps falling compared to other countries. Common core failed, just like we conservatives said it would.

There was no 8 years of Common Core. My state was the first to implement it in 2011 and ended it in 2016. That's not 8 years.

Other countries are not overrun with illegals and minorities that lower scores either. There is no fair comparison.

Why do education bashers have to lie?
There is no one simple solution. I have 6 grandkids in high school in 3 different states. What I see as a common problem is really large class sizes, 25 to 35 students in high school math and science classes with only about 45 mins of class time is nuts. Longer class times with less meeting a week would seem to make more sense and is being done in some places. All the homework assignments are online assignments and thus it is nearly impossible for a parent to monitor their child. Long gone are the days when a the kid sat at a table with a book, paper, and pencil doing an assignment. Today they sit in a front of a computer, or tablet with earphones on flipping back and forth between social media sites, texting, school assignments and their favorite videos. Lastly, help from the schools for kids that are having problems is a joke.

I doubt the answers lie in the standards we set but rather how we go about meeting those standards.
...and common core is not the answer

If common core was so great, then why did students get worse scores in math after 8 years of it?

The US keeps falling compared to other countries. Common core failed, just like we conservatives said it would.

There was no 8 years of Common Core. My state was the first to implement it in 2011 and ended it in 2016. That's not 8 years.

Other countries are not overrun with illegals and minorities that lower scores either. There is no fair comparison.

There is no one simple solution. I have 6 grandkids in high school in 3 different states. What I see as a common problem is really large class sizes, 25 to 35 students in high school math and science classes with only about 45 mins of class time is nuts. Longer class times with less meeting a week would seem to make more sense and is being done in some places. All the homework assignments are online assignments and thus it is nearly impossible for a parent to monitor their child. Long gone are the days when a the kid sat at a table with a book, paper, and pencil doing an assignment. Today they sit in a front of a computer, or tablet with earphones on flipping back and forth between social media sites, texting, school assignments and their favorite videos. Lastly, help from the schools for kids that are having problems is a joke.

I doubt the answers lie in the standards we set but rather how we go about meeting those standards.

You have some good points, but you can monitor their work online if you make the effort.
That's what I keep telling my daughter but it can be really be hard. For example, in one class, there are many research assignments where the kids have to read material from many sites and write papers based on research or answer questions in class. I suppose if kids used computers for only school work, it would be easy to monitor their work but like their parents they use computers for lots of things that have nothing to do with school and believe me they are really talented at switching between screens when parents are around.

When I was raising my kids, they took out there books and worked on the dining room table. Today, they do their home work on the bus, in school, in the library, or at Starbucks. And when they work at home, they jump between screens to answer a question from a classmate, or restart their music, or check school the website for information.

Msybe the problem with your grandkids in school is bad genetics?

Or maybe the problem with your post is your spelling

Or maybe the problem with your post is your spelling
I type like shit. Sue me.

"It doesn't belong in the one's column" Yep that is being mathematical.

hahaha , did you have a bad teacher in grammar school? was it really that hard? yes its pretty mathematical that when you have a number like 25, the 5 represents ones, and the big 2 represents 10s they usually help kids understand this in first grade with groups of apples or fish. i dont see how anyone can say that style of math is not helping to understand or only memorization unless they had a terrible teacher.

What Common Core teaches is really not that different. I find those complaining either don't know what it is or does not understand it.

This right wing "OMG OMG Common Core" s a sign of ignorance & stupidity.

Problem is , "somebody" decided little kids need to learn these deeper concepts first, before they just lean how to add and subtract or multiply in basic form. These other concepts such as making change for money in your head using a different technique, can also be introduced a bit later once kids knowledge has become more sophisticated. It obviously has been causing disruptions in more ways than one. Else, there would not be complaints about this experiment

A New Kind of Problem: The Common Core Math Standards

So you want to teach them one way & then change & teach them a different way?

Common Core was developed by a team of professional with years of education & experience.

There is always a complaint about education from the far right. "OMG OMG OMG the liberals are brainwashing our chjildren!!! OMG OMG OMG" and "OMG OMG OMG unioins!!!! Evil Unions are controlling our kids!!!!"
Common core sucks hairy ass
See and you said you had nothing in common with Common Core

Going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by the Obama Error.

13601528945_437c1d896c.jpg

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is dead at U.S. Department of Education | Get Schooled
Come on. We know EXACTLY what Republicans think of math:

Republican calls algebra "fuzzy math" for using letters with numbers.

The rest of America calls it just plain "algebra".

Forum List

Back