Betsy DeVos: Common Core is Dead

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Going to take a long time to undo the damage caused by the Obama Error.

13601528945_437c1d896c.jpg

Betsy DeVos: Common Core is dead at U.S. Department of Education | Get Schooled

:lol:

I'm not sure that I understand the point of your meme.

Do you find the second way too hard?
Unlike the left, I prefer children learn math, reading, and writing as well as history.

So it was too hard for you.

That's the problem with the way you learned math. You learned to memorize things, but not understand them.

I think it's "I don't understand this, so kids shouldn't be learning it, otherwise they'll be more employable than me, which is bad."

Perhaps.

Although, giving some benefit of the doubt, it's probably more like "this isn't the math i learned in my one-roim schoolhouse, so it can't be right"

I think it's "I don't understand this, so kids shouldn't be learning it, otherwise they'll be more employable than me, which is bad."

Perhaps.

Although, giving some benefit of the doubt, it's probably more like "this isn't the math i learned in my one-roim schoolhouse, so it can't be right"

Maybe. The one problem with education is the people who always manage to get themselves in positions of power in education, are people who don't understand education. It's annoying.

Unlike the left, I prefer children learn math, reading, and writing as well as history.

That's the problem with the way you learned math. You learned to memorize things, but not understand them.

I always suspected that you were fucking stupid sans the ability for critical thinking........but you proved it by supporting "commie core". You strike me as the kind of idiot that would lay out ten pennies and have your "student" subtract six of them....and then chastise them for not doing it the "commie" math way. What the fuck are you the "Doctor" of again? The "Doctor" of stupidity?

Math is indeed "math"....addition and subtraction doesn't change.......just because a group of children come to the agreement that six times six equals thirty-five doesn't make that the correct answer just because a consensus was reached, ya dumb ass.

Hand a cashier a ten dollar fiat federal reserve note for a three dollar and eighteen cent purchase and let me know if you would accept getting back five dollars and eighty two cents in change because the general consensus was correct to them...according to commie core?

How does turning subtraction into addition make people understand it?

You are subtracting, bigger to smaller. Simple.

Common Core is just a case of people with too much time on their hands trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

I always suspected that you were fucking stupid sans the ability for critical thinking........but you proved it by supporting "commie core". You strike me as the kind of idiot that would lay out ten pennies and have your "student" subtract six of them....and then chastise them for not doing it the "commie" math way. What the fuck are you the "Doctor" of again? The "Doctor" of stupidity?

Math is indeed "math"....addition and subtraction doesn't change.......just because a group of children come to the agreement that six times six equals thirty-five doesn't make that the correct answer just because a consensus was reached, ya dumb ass.

Hand a cashier a ten dollar fiat federal reserve note for a three dollar and eighteen cent purchase and let me know if you would accept getting back five dollars and eighty two cents in change because the general consensus was correct to them...according to commie core?

Math is indeed math, fuckwit. I think you missed some salient details of the OP's meme.

Math is indeed math, fuckwit. I think you missed some salient details of the OP's meme.

There, there, "Doc".....don't get your panties in a twist.....someone has to sit on the sidelines and applaud those that know more than you. You fill a certain function so embrace it, "Doc".....

(snicker)

How does turning subtraction into addition make people understand it?

You are subtracting, bigger to smaller. Simple.

Common Core is just a case of people with too much time on their hands trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

We're lagging behind the rest of the western world when it comes to education, and you say "if it ain't broke..."

The point is ideas like using addition to solve a subtraction problem, or vice versa allow students to see how all of these concepts are interrelated. Math is more than just memorizing an individual set of rules for each type of operation.

It's the difference between memorizing rules, and understanding.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
The common core way is closer to the way I've always done math in my head. The other way works best on paper.

I associate the common core way with how we used to get change back before the days of calculators and modern cash registers. If you gave a clerk $100 for something that costs $47.80, when making change she would first hand back 20¢ to make $48, $2 to get to $50 and then count out the $10 and $20's to get to $100. Today clerks just enter the amount handed and count out the difference the register shows.

With the advent of machines I really don't see much harm in being dumbed down and not understanding composition of equations and how to break them down.

The cash register should tell them the correct change. If it doesn't, they should use the method listed below.:

18 cents is two less than even dime, so they would give you 2 pennies.

20 cents (18+2) is 80 cents short of an even dollar, so you get back 80 cents, which would be three quarters and a nickel.

You are now up to 4 dollars, (3+ .18 + .02 + .80 = 4) so to get to ten dollars, your change would be 6 dollars, so they would give you a 5 dollar bill and a one. (3+ .18 + .02 + .80 + 6 = 10)

So your change is $6.82 (.02 + .80 + 6 = 6.82)

That is called the count-up method and predates Common Core by a couple of centuries.

The cash register should tell them the correct change. If it doesn't, they should use the method listed below.:

18 cents is two less than even dime, so they would give you 2 pennies.

20 cents (18+2) is 80 cents short of an even dollar, so you get back 80 cents, which would be three quarters and a nickel.

You are now up to 4 dollars, (3+ .18 + .02 + .80 = 4) so to get to ten dollars, your change would be 6 dollars, so they would give you a 5 dollar bill and a one. (3+ .18 + .02 + .80 + 6 = 10)

So your change is $6.82 (.02 + .80 + 6 = 6.82)

That is called the count-up method and predates Common Core by a couple of centuries.

Well put.

Forum List

Back