• Herman Li

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Django Reinhart

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (name them in the thread)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Hell... Roy Clark, if country counted

Well they did say rock but since we are on the country topic...Im a big fan so...Glen Campbell, Ricky Skaggs, Ray Benson, Chet Atkins, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Jerry Reed, Marty Stuart all amazing guitar players who are often overlooked just because they are country musicians. But to me thats where the real pickers are is in Country music.

Check out Jack White:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZXBw-9gyc0]YouTube - Jack White - Wayfaring Stranger (Live)[/ame]

Well they did say rock but since we are on the country topic...Im a big fan so...Glen Campbell, Ricky Skaggs, Ray Benson, Chet Atkins, Vince Gill, Brad Paisley, Jerry Reed, Marty Stuart all amazing guitar players who are often overlooked just because they are country musicians. But to me thats where the real pickers are is in Country music.

Glen Campbell and Chet Atkins are two of the best. Much as I like country music though, I think there are just as good in rock and Southern Rock.

I been dickin' w/ the guitar for 40+ years and now I just play da blues.

Jimi was incredible but stressed tones overall. Still, he was lightnin' fast. Amazing.

Clapton is the ultimate purist and the consummate technician.

SRV was the best of all time. As has been mentioned, his chops were at times superhuman. I have never had a harder time emulating a style. I nearly tear up when I think of that loss. He died 'bout 50 miles across the Wisconsin State line from my hometown in Illinois.

I have to give a nod to Slash because I have always been a Strat man and it's not easy gettin' that much speed and tone from a 'Paul. I recently p/u a 1983 'Paul w/ the original "Dirty Fingers" humbuckers w/ a stock coil splitter. I've got so much tone and sustain that I don't know where to start when it comes to dialing in a sound. I think I'm startin' to fall in love.

I also use an old Epiphone 'Paul copy (Goth model, if you can believe that) for slide. It is nothing short of wicked. Been workin' on Highway 61 by Johnny Winter. Hope I live long enough to get it right.:eusa_boohoo: That ole blind man threw it down at Clapton's Crossroads Festival in Chicago awhile back.

King Crimson and no I didn't Google nor did I read ahead in case someone beat me to it.

It is King Crimson isn't it? Cos if it's not then my face is going to be king crimson :lol:

You are correct sir, Robert Fripp from King Crimson. And his omission is a tragedy!!! I guess there just isn't enough space on the list but, jeez where Tony Iommi? Randy Rhoads? Brian May? Steve Howe? Those are some of the best ever! And Joe Satriani?! C'mon.

Personally, my favourite are probably Iommi and May, but if I had to go for a 'best', I might have to go with Fripp, or Satriani.

But I thought it was cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0euAxRx3IY]YouTube - SIMPSONS MUSIC STARS[/ame]

David Gilmour.

He is the most unique and distinctive guitar player around. His style is impossible to recreate. He played with such feel and had that bluesy/spacey sound that I've never heard anyone else replicate. What makes Gilmour more amazing is he never played anything over-the-top. But man, you felt every note that man played.

The guitar solos in Pink Floyd are legendary. My personal favorite is the one he did in 'Time.'

Forum List

Back