Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (name them in the thread)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters

Steerpike

VIP Member
Dec 17, 2007
Who do you think it is / was?

Obviously, I could have included many more guitarists on the list. The guys from Iron Maiden come to mind, as do many, many other bands. Hard to settle on one person.

Last edited:
Yep. Mind you, I only put Herman Li on the list to throw a bone to any of the younger board members :D

sheesh.. what ever happened to kids sporting pentagrams and listening to devil worshipping music?

I gotta wonder.. if those same kids would also rock out to Helloween!

No doubt.

I think I'm giving Page the edge on Hendrix. Even on the blues stuff, seems to me he was a little better in his prime. Hard to compare a lot of these guys because their styles are so different.

No doubt.

I think I'm giving Page the edge on Hendrix. Even on the blues stuff, seems to me he was a little better in his prime. Hard to compare a lot of these guys because their styles are so different.

I went with Stevie Ray. Not my personal favorite, but he had chops that put the rest to shame.

I'm not sure how you can justify taking Page over Hendrix since Page stole all of his good shit from Jimi in the first place. :badgrin:

although I stopped liking VH after Dave left, and the whole screaming tube sound is as dated as fuzz wahs, I think i'll have to say Eddie Van Halen. He revolutionized the rock guitar above anyone else who happens to come up with a catchy hook... Even Jimi.. who was knee deep in hippy stank before becoming the icon that he is.

honorable mentions

Frank Zappa
George Thorogood
Steve Vai
Dwayne Allman
Mark Knophler
Tom Morello
Jerry Cantrell

Last edited:
Jimmy Page isn't in the same class as Hendrix, period.

I think he deserves distinction for doing some of the weirdest stuff imaginable with blues, though.

Hendrix reinvented rock guitar.

Either we give that laural to him or we have to give it to Les Paul who first started messing with feedback.

Jimmy Page isn't in the same class as Hendrix, period.

I think he deserves distinction for doing some of the weirdest stuff imaginable with blues, though.

I love Jimi just like everyone else... and he was great.. but you might as well just said that the grateful dead revolutionized folk music by adding good acid.

I'm not a Deadhead and I don't think they revolutionized anything...except perhaps good acid.

you missed my point. Jimi was a great artist and gave us some iconic music.. but, and I say this knowing full well the reaction it will produce, he didn't make such an impact that rock music emulates his style... with the excpetion of lenny kravitz, that is. Indeed, without all the drugs and hippies laying around stinking up the place i'm not sure we'd have ever known who he was.

I dont know if you were ever into reading about beatniks and hippies but there is an interesting split in the counterculture in between conservative kerouac, the prince of beatniks, and the 60s hippies that all the other beats dove into.. with the exception of Burroughs and Corso. The first line of my first book will be, "Jack Kerouac was not a hippy."

People didn't emulate Hendrix because they couldn't. Kravitz cheats and rehashes some of his stuff, but he's not the artist that Hendrix was, and doesn't even successfully replicate Hendrix.

Nobody does, really. People still don't even know how he got his guitar to do some of the things it did.

Remember, Eric Clapton had a nervous breakdown when he heard him play, because up until then, he'd believed he was the best in the world.

i've read both Claptons autobio and that of hendrix and, again i recognize his talent, he wasn't a trend setter.

and you should probably comb youtube before suggesting that no one has been able to recreate his sound.

Forum List

Back