Best frozen pizza?

I am just about to the point where I hate pizza. I do have 2 local places that has pretty good pizza. I just can't stomach the chains, I would love to know of a good frozen pizza to try. I like quickies. (meaning I don't want to spend a lot of time making my own-which I have done.

I'm from Queens, NY, and grew up next to the best Sicilian pizza in the world, so I'm not going to discuss the best fresh pizza. But I am very curious what you like as the best frozen pizza, available in supermarkets and such!

To be fair with all the frozen pizzas, it has to be a cheese pizza, not something with toppings to mask the taste.

So far I like Amy's Margherita pizza 2nd, and Screaming Sicilian first (Bessie's Revenge all cheese pizza... really good). Both expensive for a frozen pizza, but well worth it.

And Tony's 5-cheese pizza is a close 3rd. Believe it or not... And cheap!

For me there is a trade off between price and improvement. Cost benefit.
Tombstone is a good deal.

I'm from Queens, NY, and grew up next to the best Sicilian pizza in the world, so I'm not going to discuss the best fresh pizza. But I am very curious what you like as the best frozen pizza, available in supermarkets and such!

To be fair with all the frozen pizzas, it has to be a cheese pizza, not something with toppings to mask the taste.

So far I like Amy's Margherita pizza 2nd, and Screaming Sicilian first (Bessie's Revenge all cheese pizza... really good). Both expensive for a frozen pizza, but well worth it.

For me there is a trade off between price and improvement. Cost benefit.
Tombstone is a good deal.
I had tombstone the other day just to refresh my memory. The flavor is def good, but the crust was like cardboard.

The ones we got for lunch in High School.

/thread

i make my own pizza with english muffin, sauce pizza, mushrooms, bacon and mozzarella ... it's delicious.

The ones we got for lunch in High School.

/thread

Ewwww. I never liked school pizza either. None of the school food was good. It was all terrible. I even wondered how long the little milks had been sitting out for when they were room temperature when you opened them.

The best pizzas are the ones that aren't frozen! I think freezing them takes away a lot of the flavor. When you are hungry and need something quick, some of them are tolerable and edible I suppose. Still, I don't think I've eaten any that I would say were delicious and tasty.

My wife and I like this, which we find at one of those various indistinguishable warehouse/supermarket-type places that has a name that starts with “Food…”.

View attachment 157302

I'll check that out. I live in AZ now, so Fry's is the big supermarket here, which is owned by Kroger. But I'll try just the cheese pizza, since the pepperoni's on your pic make it unfair to judge. :)

I buy a freshly cooked pizza from a local grocery store called Big Y, and those are the BEST pizzas around. It only has to be heated up. It could give any restaurant a run for it's money.

25399693_GxfwDwF740v0V2LQ4ioXZvS0C9VwOGcr4TrX5Sxt1Y8.jpg
Thank you, you bring up a good point. I've never tried cook-it-at-home fresh pizza, like Papa Murphy's. I will. But I don't know if you can freeze it. So you made me think of Costco pizza! Supposedly it is made from the same frozen pizza that Costco sells. And if so, it's really good for a frozen pizza!! And it would count in my top list.

But I always wondered if it will come out the same in my stove, as it does in their pizza ovens... Has anyone bought a frozen Costco cheese pizza, and cooked it in their stove? And any thoughts?

You know what I used to love when I was young, and cannot find it anymore? Ellio's frozen pizza! Cannot find them anymore in AZ...

Remember those? They were so good, growing up. Looking back they were terrible, but I miss it! :)

I buy a freshly cooked pizza from a local grocery store called Big Y, and those are the BEST pizzas around. It only has to be heated up. It could give any restaurant a run for it's money.

25399693_GxfwDwF740v0V2LQ4ioXZvS0C9VwOGcr4TrX5Sxt1Y8.jpg
Thank you, you bring up a good point. I've never tried cook-it-at-home fresh pizza, like Papa Murphy's. I will. But I don't know if you can freeze it. So you made me think of Costco pizza! Supposedly it is made from the same frozen pizza that Costco sells. And if so, it's really good for a frozen pizza!! And it would count in my top list.

But I always wondered if it will come out the same in my stove, as it does in their pizza ovens... Has anyone bought a frozen Costco cheese pizza, and cooked it in their stove? And any thoughts?

No way is pizza going to come out the same in a regular oven as in a pizza oven! I'm pretty sure most of the frozen pizzas are already cooked, so you are just basically heating them up. If you had a pizza oven though, pizza would definitely come out better, I'm sure. It's also quicker because those pizza ovens get really really hot. It's also nice to cook up a pizza on the grill (not a frozen one though!). You just have to keep it on the cool side of your grill and keep an eye on it because the crust will burn. Grilled pizza is delicious though! :)

So today I went to the Fry's and found a new pizza style.

DiGiorno's "Crispy Pan Pizza"!

It looks like what we would call Sicilian pizza in NY, and I can't wait to try it. Unfortunately, due to what I'm cooking tomorrow, and the holiday, I may not try it until late next week. But the pictures on the box look good! And it comes in its own tray.... I bought a supreme and a pepperoni box. Will give my review in a week or two! :)

IMG_20171119_031458658.jpg

Update for previous post: Wow! They are really good!!! My new favorite frozen pizza. I had the Supreme, and the 4-cheese pizza, the pepperoni one is still in the freezer.

I was going to eat the pepperoni tonight, but i found the cheese version at fry's today, and since that was the way of telling which is better, I had to eat the cheese one first.

Very good! I've had the cheese and the supreme, and they are delicious!!! The crust is thick and crispy as long as you follow the directions. The cheese and the taste and the texture, is great for frozen pizza! It's not a NY Sicilian, but as close as I can find in Phoenix!

I highly recommend it.

Keep in mind, you have to like bread. This is not a grandma style pizza. It is thick, and mostly bread. Make sure you follow the directions. Remove it from the pan with a spatula after cooking and put it on a cutting tray. And wait at least 5 minutes before cutting and eating. It's a big pizza, at least for 2 people.

I hope you try them, and I'm going to tell you my experience on how to reheat leftovers once I reheat it from earlier tonight. My normal technique is to nuke them for 30 secs, and then put them on a hot cast-iron pan with butter to re-crisp the bottoms. Should work here too. :)

I get 5 cheese tombstone the most, but Homerun Inn (Chicago Classic) is the best

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

• Thanks
Reactions: RWS
I’ll sometimes get a Screamin’ Sicilian for the freezer. They’re one of the better ones, IMO....

Forum List

Back