Best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

The Giants were a great team and won the SuperBowl the next year. The Bears had a dominating Defense

Hard to argue against the 75 Steelers. Holding a team to 119 yards and no points is hard to top. Hawks gave up 309 yards and 8 points

To rank as a truly great Defense we will have to see how the Hawks do in the next few years

Last edited:
Doesn't mean they had a weaker defense than Seattle

If you ask who had the greatest defense on the field at a Superbowl....I go Chicago and then Pittsburgh

OK... then please point to any Super Bowl that Chicago or Pittsburg played in where they held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You don't even have to consider an opponent that just set the all time season scoring and yards mark... cuz they never faced that much offense power in any Super Bowl game.

held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You are sounding desperate now

Best defense ever is subjective. I rate Chicago as number 1 because they were just so intimidating. No offense to Seattle, I would probably have them as 3 behind Chicago and Pittsburgh.

If you look at the 1975 Pittsburgh team they held the Minnesota offense to 119 total yards and 0 points. Pretty dominating
(pretty miss represented) m:lol:

You are refering to the 16-6 score? ...true Pittsburg held the Vikings scoreless thru 3 qtrs.

The Vikings were the 5th rated team in 1974 offensively.

BUT we were debating the best defense ever in a Superbowl. Those Vikings were hardly in an offensive catagory of the all time record setting Denver offense.

The 1986 SB featured a 10th rated offense in NE which was the third best team in the AFC East.

Chicago held the third best team in the AFC East to 10 points in the 1986 SB.

Facts don't need to be desperate...

The '77 Orange Crush Broncos were a pretty good defensive team.

UMMMmmm... Ya... sort of... They were first in run defense but 25th in pass defense. It is likely that the 2013 Broncos with the great Peyton Manning would have carved up the 77 Broncos into nice little bite size chunkletts...

It really has a lot to do with the matchups in a one game championship.

:lol:

OK... then please point to any Super Bowl that Chicago or Pittsburg played in where they held their opponent to zero points through all but 5 seconds of three qtrs.

You don't even have to consider an opponent that just set the all time season scoring and yards mark... cuz they never faced that much offense power in any Super Bowl game.

Best defense ever is subjective. I rate Chicago as number 1 because they were just so intimidating. No offense to Seattle, I would probably have them as 3 behind Chicago and Pittsburgh.

If you look at the 1975 Pittsburgh team they held the Minnesota offense to 119 total yards and 0 points. Pretty dominating

You are refering to the 16-6 score? ...true Pittsburg held the Vikings scoreless thru 3 qtrs.

BUT we were debating the best defense ever in a Superbowl. Those Vikings were hardly in an offensive catagory of the all time record setting Denver offense.

The 1986 SB featured a 10th rated offense in NE which was the third best team in the AFC East.

OK...lets look at the numbers

1985 Chicago D: Gave up 123 yards (-19 in first half) and ten points

1975 Pittsburgh D: Gave up only 116 yards and no points (Minn scored on a blocked punt)

2014 Seattle D: 306 yards and eight points

1990 SF D: 167 yards and ten points

Come on now Huggy, put away your Seattle obsession and look at the numbers. They gave up 306 yards .....hardly a shut down defense
You also need to stop referring to Denver as an all time great offense. 2014 pinball machine offenses with QBs and WRs wearing dresses is not the same as the 70s and 80s

Last edited:
The '77 Orange Crush Broncos were a pretty good defensive team.

UMMMmmm... Ya... sort of... They were first in run defense but 25th in pass defense. It is likely that the 2013 Broncos with the great Peyton Manning would have carved up the 77 Broncos into nice little bite size chunkletts...

It really has a lot to do with the matchups in a one game championship.

:lol:
That's right!

If the '86 Bears played the 2014 Seahags, the Seattle team would get F'd in the A.

Who is the best defensive team in Super Bowl history?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

As far as I'm concerned, the Seahawks are No.2.

Nobody was more dominating on defense than the '85 Bears.

How many yards did the Vikings gain against the Steelers?

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

I have to say Da 85 Bears.

Shut out two teams in the playoffs, and clobbered New England in the Super Bowl. 46-10.

Last edited:
Like Huggy said though the topic of the OP here is best SUPERBOWL defense.as far as regular season goes its hard to say which of the two was the better but were talking best superbowl defense though and thats a no brainer since the Bears did not face a formidable offense in that game.

If you ask who had the greatest defense on the field at a Superbowl....I go Chicago and then Pittsburgh

Look at the teams the Bears had to face in the playoffs that year.My LA Rams whom I lost interest in pro football for the last 20 years for moving away from LA till Carrol and Wilson joined the seahawks making the game fun again for me for the first time since then.

Their first playoff game they had that year was against the New York Giants.Look who the quarterback was they faced in that game? Phil Simms.Not a bad quarterback but not someone scary either.True he set a superbowl record for completing most his passes the next season but look who that came against? The Donkeys who hardly had a defense,they rode their way to the superbowl that year solely on the play of John Elway.

He was all the Giants had to worry about in that game.The donkeys got there despite the defense not because of it. Simms was a pocket passer with no scrambing ability so they coud sit back and pin their ears back and rush the passér without worrying about trying to contain him which is why they shut out the giants that day.

Then look who they beat in the NFC championship game the nexyt week that year.My LA RAMS.Look who the quarterback was that year for them.The biggest joke of the league,Dieter Brock.The Rams that year were like the bears were the last time they made it to the superbowl.

Like the bears that season,they got as far as they did not because they had a good quarterback but despite him.Getting that far because of a great defense and one of the best running backs ever in Eric Dickerson carrying the load for them that year.

Soon as they got to the NFC championship game against The Bears that year,their true colors were exposed and Brock was shown that he was the biggest joke of a quarterback in the NFL that year finally having to face a Great football team in The Bears.

The Bears only had a running game to worry about in that game because of Dickerson making the Rams one dimensional since they had no passing game that was a threat. because of that the Bears hade a field day that day licking their chops knowing the rams passing game was about as effective as much as a five year old out there throwing the ball. Like Rex Grossman of the bears,Brock disappeared after that being exposed as the joke he was never to be heard from again.

Now lets take a look at the seahawks and the opponents THEY faced in the playoffs before the superbowl last year. First team they face is the saints who have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL currently and has been in many pro bowls over the years and has an excellent chance of making it to the hall of fame.They shut him down for most the entire game.

The next game they played was the niners who were in the superbowl the previous year and had to worry about containing a quarterback who carried them to the superbowl the year before and could not pin their ears back to rush the passer since they had to worry about his scrambling ability as well.

Like Wilson,his legs are a big weapon.His legs and scrambliing ability is the only reason the game was as close as it was. The seahawks beat that team.The Bears that year,in all three of those playoff games,they never had to face a scrambling quarterback who took his team to the superbowl the previous year which makes them getting to the superbowl all the more impressive than what the Bears accomplished that year I would say.

The Saints are rebuilding and the Niners are a question mark at QB. Kaepernick still is learning to read defenses.

OK...lets look at the numbers

1985 Chicago D: Gave up 123 yards (-19 in first half) and ten points

1975 Pittsburgh D: Gave up only 116 yards and no points (Minn scored on a blocked punt)

2014 Seattle D: 306 yards and eight points

1990 SF D: 167 yards and ten points

Come on now Huggy, put away your Seattle obsession and look at the numbers. They gave up 306 yards .....hardly a shut down defense
You also need to stop referring to Denver as an all time great offense. 2014 pinball machine offenses with QBs and WRs wearing dresses is not the same as the 70s and 80s

Seattle gave up 83 yards and zero points in the first half against arguably the best QB and fleet of receivers of all time.

With the second half Harvin TD the game was totally out of reach for Denver and the Seattle Defense strategy changed to a bend don't break scheme thruout the third qtr which ended on the last play with a Denver TD and a score of 36-6. The first play of the fourth qtr saw a 2 point conversion for Denver which whould be the last points allowed.

Whatever people choose to believe it is certainly an interesting conversation and remarkable that the Seahawks are in the discussion as the best Superbowl defense of all time.

What adds to Seattle's case, the record setting 2013 Denver offense, makes for a tittilating topic.

The matchup is what made this February's game one that will be argued for a very long time. Strength vs strength.

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

Yeah, I'm a homer but that said, let's not forget the 49er's 'D'. Overshadowed by the powerful offense lead by Joe Montana,

Super Bowl XIX: 49ers 38 Dolphins 16

Fans tuned into this game to see a prolific offense do its thing on the game's biggest stage. The irony was that the wrong offense showed up. Dan Marino's record breaking '84 season was upstaged by Joe Montana's three touchdown effort in this game. Jack Reynolds, Ronnie Lott and the Niners shut out Duper, Clayton, Marino and the rest of the Dolphins offense in the second half. They intercepted Marino twice and held Miami to only four-of-12 on third downs.

9) Super Bowl XXIV: 49ers 55 Broncos 10

Now this one was just plain ugly. Denver averaged just 3.2 yards per play as Elway managed just 108 yards on 10-of-26 passing with two picks. The Broncos converted on just three of 11 third downs in the wost super bowl beating ever.

The Giants were a great team and won the SuperBowl the next year. The Bears had a dominating Defense

Hard to argue against the 75 Steelers. Holding a team to 119 yards and no points is hard to top. Hawks gave up 309 yards and 8 points

To rank as a truly great Defense we will have to see how the Hawks do in the next few years

Not taking anything away from the accomplishments of the Giants on what they acomplished.But shutting down a quarterback with no scrambling ability like Simms is not near as impressive as shutting down a quarterback who can beat you with his legs as well as with his arm and led the team to the superbowl the previous year nearly winning it all,is more difficut to do.as good a quarterback as Brees is,i guarantee ever seahawks player would rather face him each year twice than Kapernick having to try and contain his scrambling ability all the time which again is the only reason that NFC game was close was he kept them in the game with his legs.

I always found the steelers defense to be overrated myself.Had jackie smith not panicked and got scared in the biggest game of his life gettign butter fingers dropping an easy pass that should have been a touchdown pass,the steelers dont get the nickname the steel curtain blowing it on defense like they did with that coverage breakdown only to have smith bail them out dropping that pass.

The cowboys also made another costly mistake like that on offense in their other superbowl game against the steelers.the cowboys pretty much beat themselves in those two superbowls instead of the steelers beating them.the cowboys gave them a big helping hand in getting named the steel curtain with their blunders of dropping the football in the endzone.

except for the vikings game,the steelers gave up a lot of points in their superbowls and the vikings always laid an egg in their games in the superbowl so shutting them out is not all that impressive.

a team that was left off that should have been included was the packers defense from the first two superbowls.That defense and what they did in their two superbowls impresses me far greater than what the steel curtain did.

Last edited:

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

Yeah, I'm a homer but that said, let's not forget the 49er's 'D'. Overshadowed by the powerful offense lead by Joe Montana,

Super Bowl XIX: 49ers 38 Dolphins 16

Fans tuned into this game to see a prolific offense do its thing on the game's biggest stage. The irony was that the wrong offense showed up. Dan Marino's record breaking '84 season was upstaged by Joe Montana's three touchdown effort in this game. Jack Reynolds, Ronnie Lott and the Niners shut out Duper, Clayton, Marino and the rest of the Dolphins offense in the second half. They intercepted Marino twice and held Miami to only four-of-12 on third downs.

9) Super Bowl XXIV: 49ers 55 Broncos 10

Now this one was just plain ugly. Denver averaged just 3.2 yards per play as Elway managed just 108 yards on 10-of-26 passing with two picks. The Broncos converted on just three of 11 third downs in the wost super bowl beating ever.

I would say they were far more impressive in what they did in the superbowl than the bears shutting down two future hall of famers instead of a young inexperienced quarterback and one on his last legs.Thats easily far more impressive.the niners holding the dolphins to 16 points was very impressive especially since the bears in their one defeat that year,could not do anything with that team.

Yeah thats a good point.Because of Montana always tuning it up a notch and always playing at his best during the playoffs and especially the superbowl,his greatness and the way he was always joe cool and so relaxed when the game was on the line and they were behind,because of how amazing he and the niners offense always was all the time,they overshadowed the greatness of the niners defense they had those years.

Last edited:

2014 Seattle Seahawks
1978 Steel Curtain
2000 Baltimore Ravens
2008 Tampa Bay Bucaneers
1985 Chicago Bears
1977 Denver Broncos
1994 Dallas Cowboys​

I have to say Da 85 Bears.

Shut out two teams in the playoffs, and clobbered New England in the Super Bowl. 46-10.

Hardly an impressive feat defeating an inexperienced quarterback that never blossomed into what they expected and the other being one on his last legs.:lol::lol::D a team that got lucky that year whos luck ran out on them.

Its far more impressive shutting out a team that scored the most points on offense in NFL history than an offense led by those two quarterbacks in that game.:D:lol::lol:

Not taking anything away from the accomplishments of the Giants on what they acomplished.But shutting down a quarterback with no scrambling ability like Simms is not near as impressive as shutting down a quarterback who can beat you with his legs as well as with his arm and led the team to the superbowl the previous year nearly winning it all,is more difficut to do.as good a quarterback as Brees is,i guarantee ever seahawks player would rather face him each year twice than Kapernick having to try and contain his scrambling ability all the time which again is the only reason that NFC game was close was he kept them in the game with his legs.

I always found the steelers defense to be overrated myself.Had jackie smith not panicked and got scared in the biggest game of his life dropping an easy pass that should have been a touchdown pass,the steelers dont get the nickname the steel curtain blowing it on defense like they did with that coverage breakdown only to have smith bail them out dropping that pass.

The cowboys also made another costly mistake like that on offense in their other superbowl game against the steelers.the cowboys pretty much beat themselves in those two superbowls instead of the steelers beating them.the cowboys gave them a big helping hand in getting named the steel curtain with their blunders of dropping the football in the endzone.

except for the vikings game,the steelers gave up a lot of points in their superbowls and the vikings always laid an egg in their games in the superbowl so shutting them out is not all that impressive.

a team that was left off that should have been included was the packers defense from the first two superbowls.That defense and what they did in their two superbowls impresses me far greater than what the steel curtain did.

It was those stupid yellow terrible towels I tell you.. The Terrible Towels are what won the Steelers their rings.. :lol:

That and refferies that lived in Pittsburg. Can't forget the "home" cooking...

Look at the teams the Bears had to face in the playoffs that year.My LA Rams whom I lost interest in pro football for the last 20 years for moving away from LA till Carrol and Wilson joined the seahawks making the game fun again for me for the first time since then.

Their first playoff game they had that year was against the New York Giants.Look who the quarterback was they faced in that game? Phil Simms.Not a bad quarterback but not someone scary either.True he set a superbowl record for completing most his passes the next season but look who that came against? The Donkeys who hardly had a defense,they rode their way to the superbowl that year solely on the play of John Elway.

He was all the Giants had to worry about in that game.The donkeys got there despite the defense not because of it. Simms was a pocket passer with no scrambing ability so they coud sit back and pin their ears back and rush the passér without worrying about trying to contain him which is why they shut out the giants that day.

Then look who they beat in the NFC championship game the nexyt week that year.My LA RAMS.Look who the quarterback was that year for them.The biggest joke of the league,Dieter Brock.The Rams that year were like the bears were the last time they made it to the superbowl.

Like the bears that season,they got as far as they did not because they had a good quarterback but despite him.Getting that far because of a great defense and one of the best running backs ever in Eric Dickerson carrying the load for them that year.

Soon as they got to the NFC championship game against The Bears that year,their true colors were exposed and Brock was shown that he was the biggest joke of a quarterback in the NFL that year finally having to face a Great football team in The Bears.

The Bears only had a running game to worry about in that game because of Dickerson making the Rams one dimensional since they had no passing game that was a threat. because of that the Bears hade a field day that day licking their chops knowing the rams passing game was about as effective as much as a five year old out there throwing the ball. Like Rex Grossman of the bears,Brock disappeared after that being exposed as the joke he was never to be heard from again.

Now lets take a look at the seahawks and the opponents THEY faced in the playoffs before the superbowl last year. First team they face is the saints who have one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL currently and has been in many pro bowls over the years and has an excellent chance of making it to the hall of fame.They shut him down for most the entire game.

The next game they played was the niners who were in the superbowl the previous year and had to worry about containing a quarterback who carried them to the superbowl the year before and could not pin their ears back to rush the passer since they had to worry about his scrambling ability as well.

Like Wilson,his legs are a big weapon.His legs and scrambliing ability is the only reason the game was as close as it was. The seahawks beat that team.The Bears that year,in all three of those playoff games,they never had to face a scrambling quarterback who took his team to the superbowl the previous year which makes them getting to the superbowl all the more impressive than what the Bears accomplished that year I would say.

The Saints are rebuilding and the Niners are a question mark at QB. Kaepernick still is learning to read defenses.

yeah they are a question mark at quarterback thats why they went to the superbowl last year and almost won and made it to the NFC championship game because they are a question mark at quarterback.:cuckoo: they are only a question mark at quarterback in the playoffs during a big game.so far in his two seasons he has been a peyton manning clone.impressive in the regular season but has meltdowns in the playoffs when its a big game.

again its far more impressive beating a team that has a future hall of famer and one that has scrambling ability who can beat you with his legs and took his team to the NFC championship game two years in a row and then beat a quarterback who led his team to the most points in NFL history than it is beating a team with a quarterback who is the statue of liberty with NO RUNNING game whatsoever to worry about in the second half-remember joe morris got knocked out of the game in the third quarter from a hit by the fridge.:lol: knowing you can pin your ears back and rush the passer since there is a non existant running game to worry about in the second half,then the next game having to face the LAMBS and be able to focus in solely on the running game since the quarterback is the biggest joke to ever play in the NFL.

One playoff game,the second half,there is a non existant running game to worry about so you can pin your ears back and focus solely on the passing game and have no worries of him breaking free since he has zero scrambling abiility.not much of a challenge.

the second game is just the opposite having a quarterback who never should have been in the NFL in the first place let alone a starter spending his whole life in the canadian football league prior to that,a quarterback who is as much effective as a 10 year old back there so the defense can focus and worry solely on stoppnig the running game since there is no passing game whatsoever to go along with it for the ENTIRE game.considering the bears were playing teams where one had a zero running game to worry about and the other had a zero passing game to worry about,thats hardly impressive shutting out two teams like that.:D:lol::lol:

and we havent even gotten to the BIG game yet,the superbowl.lets see,the bears were facing an inexperienced quarterback who was still learning and trying to graps the quarterback posistion and another who was on his last legs. they held that team to 10 points for the whole game with those two quarterbacks,big deal.hardly an amazing feat.:lol:

Lets see what the seahawks did AFTER They shut down a future hall of famer in their first game for most the time,Then beat another quarterback that led his team to the superbowl last year nearly winning it all and to the NFC championship game again this past year who is a danger out of the pocket capable of beating you with his legs at any one moment and then shut down the highest scoring offense in NFL history in a future hall of fame quarterback.

I would say that is easily far more impressive than shutting down one team with no running game to worry about in the second half,then the next no passing game whatsoever to worry about in the ENTIRE game,then facing a team with a inexperienced quarterback still trying to grasp the position and one on his last legs.:D:lol::lol::lol:

Forum List

Back