Best beer

BDBoop

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2011
Don't harsh my zen, Jen!
I hate beer, but that is likely because I've only ever had American beer.

What beer do you usually drink, if you do? Is American really crap compared to, say, German?

What beer do you usually drink, if you do? Is American really crap compared to, say, German?

I just made a comment about this on another post where you were talking about the Beer Summit. So i'll repeat it :)

I had some beer when i was in Germany that i believe came from Switzerland? A friend of my sons bought him a bottle (over $20!) and he shared it with me. This beer you have to SIP...it burns going down! I don't care for dark beer, but this did actually taste pretty good. And boy was it strong!!

I really do love beer, but i can't even drink the Bud lights or any like it anymore. In Michigan we have a local beer brewed in Kalamazoo called Oberon (made by Bells Brewery) - it's a lot like the light wheat type beer you can get in Germany (can't remember the name of it!). The problem is it's only a summer ale so we can't get it during the winter months. So then we get Blue Moon, or Shock Top. Those are both light ales and much stronger than stuff like Bud. You should try it - i don't know what state you're in but i know Blue Moon & shock top are sold in other states (i bought it in NC before).

• Banned

I just made a comment about this on another post where you were talking about the Beer Summit. So i'll repeat it :)

I had some beer when i was in Germany that i believe came from Switzerland? A friend of my sons bought him a bottle (over $20!) and he shared it with me. This beer you have to SIP...it burns going down! I don't care for dark beer, but this did actually taste pretty good. And boy was it strong!!

I really do love beer, but i can't even drink the Bud lights or any like it anymore. In Michigan we have a local beer brewed in Kalamazoo called Oberon (made by Bells Brewery) - it's a lot like the light wheat type beer you can get in Germany (can't remember the name of it!). The problem is it's only a summer ale so we can't get it during the winter months. So then we get Blue Moon, or Shock Top. Those are both light ales and much stronger than stuff like Bud. You should try it - i don't know what state you're in but i know Blue Moon & shock top are sold in other states (i bought it in NC before).

Wisconsin lies between us. :)

:beer:

Plenty of great American craft breweries making awesome beer...

Rogue
Goose Island
New Belgium
Flying Fish
Anchor

Many, many more....

Of course, I brew my own too...:thup:

• Banned

Rogue
Goose Island
New Belgium
Flying Fish
Anchor

Many, many more....

That was my next question!! Can a home-brewer make better beer than the big-name crap in the States? And how do you go about learning of/implementing different recipes?

There are some good wheat beers (hefeweizen) that can be had in the winter months, but they are harder to find...

Rogue
Goose Island
New Belgium
Flying Fish
Anchor

Many, many more....

That was my next question!! Can a home-brewer make better beer than the big-name crap in the States?
"Better" is an individual thing, but I say absolutely yes... On par with the craft breweries and the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself!

And how do you go about learning of/implementing different recipes?

Interwebs and friends/family... Lots of online resources for beginners...

olde+english+40.jpg

To their eternal credit, continental Europeans always surpass the competition when it comes to brewing beer. German lager or pilsner is so crisp because all the popular brewers strictly observe Purity Laws, which are observed in neighbouring countries. The best beer, in my opinion, is brewed in Germany, Belgium, France, Holland, Denmark, Switzerland, Austria and the Czech Republic.

Beer brewed in the U.K has a loyal following all over Europe, but it's ale, which is flat. Mead is also made in varying quantities, but it's fucking vile. Though I'm not particularly fond of ale, either. It's just not refreshing like European lager or pilsner is. I don't drink heavy stout, whether it's brewed in England or Ireland, so that's Guinness and Caffrey's out of the equation.

I'm not what you'd call a connoisseur, but I drink - in not particular order of preference - Stella Artois, which is brewed in Belgium. Holstein Pils, Germany. Kronenbourg 1664, France. Heineken, Holland. Becks, Germany. Carlsberg Export, Denmark. Grolsch, Holland. And when I'm feeling flush, Peroni Nastro Azzurro, Italy.

European lager kicks the shit out of all the competition, make no mistake!

I would agree that Germany produces the very best pilsners and lagers, due in large measure to their purity law. The German law only allows the use of only four ingrdients: malted barley, hops, yeast and water. Germany prohibits chemical additives, the addition of sugar, and using grains like corn or rice. The rest of the EU countries, as well as the US, have no such restrictions and liberally use stabilizers, colorants, flavoring and anything else that might help to produce a better looking beer.

Although this is always a matter of personal preference, I can't imagine adding any of the French beers to a recommendation list. The French have never produced a beer worth recommending. Never.

Forum List

Back