R.I.P. Ray Bradbury

R.I.P. Mr. Bradbury

I am a great fan of his books.
I started reading them when I was a kid.

Damn I thought he was already dead.

Great writer. I particularly enjoyed Zero Hour and By the Numbers.

Vonnegut a couple of years ago and now Bradbury.

Where have all the great writers gone?

Ray Bradbury Enters Another Dimension: Ray Bradbury looked around, and wrote about it: An Appreciation - latimes.com

Ray Bradbury belonged to Los Angeles.

Like many with a similar tie to this city, he came from somewhere else — Waukegan, Ill. — but it was really after his family moved to California in 1934 that he came into his own.

"Libraries raised me," he said in a 2009 interview while trying to raise money for a library in Ventura County. "I don't believe in colleges and universities.… When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn't go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years."

Bradbury wasn't kidding; libraries were his education … and his muse. He wrote his breakthrough novel, 1953's "Fahrenheit 451," on a rental typewriter in the basement of UCLA's Powell Library, pumping in a dime for every half hour of typing. (The book cost him nine bucks and change to write.)

Last edited:
I read Dandelion Wine when I was young, and have read it every few years since...it reminds me of my Grandfather's childhood. I just love that book.

I wonder what he thought of todays democratic party.

instead of running away to the woods to memorize books, we do that to drink 32 oz. sugary beverages, smoke, eat big macs and get out from under the drones.....:eusa_whistle:

RIP Montag..;)

images

His best work was his earliest, and that was The Martian Chronicles. Vignettes from the MC appeared in E.C. Comics with wonderful artwork. That was its best representation as SciFi, since it was actually fantasy more than science fiction.

I read all his work, and to me Fahrenheit 451 was the least of it; but that's just me. Imagine a future world in which people would be so hypnotized by TV and other techno-media that they would no longer read real books, nay, books would become so out of vogue that it would be the job of "firemen" to burn books when their hidden staches were reported to authorities by informers.

His best work was his earliest, and that was The Martian Chronicles. Vignettes from the MC appeared in E.C. Comics with wonderful artwork. That was its best representation as SciFi, since it was actually fantasy more than science fiction.

I read all his work, and to me Fahrenheit 451 was the least of it; but that's just me. Imagine a future world in which people would be so hypnotized by TV and other techno-media that they would no longer read real books, nay, books would become so out of vogue that it would be the job of "firemen" to burn books when their hidden staches were reported to authorities by informers.

Yes, nobody has transistors in the ears, huge flat screen TVS they watch hours a day, nor smaller screens with which they communicate with others. Books are still the same as always.....:cuckoo:

I read Dandelion Wine when I was young, and have read it every few years since...it reminds me of my Grandfather's childhood. I just love that book.

I loved that one too Sherry. It, like The Martian Chronicles, was a fine lyrical anthology of thematic short stories. I'd recommend them to anyone. But as we know due to the passage of time that Martian Chronicles is an anachronism, so it's value is more in the poignancy it imparts than any futuristic relevance.

We're already halfway there.

Yes, nobody has transistors in the ears, huge flat screen TVS they watch hours a day, nor smaller screens with which they communicate with others. Books are still the same as always.....:cuckoo:

Even the "books" can be downloaded to those little flat screens...

Forum List

Back