Best and fastest way to help minorities

It occurs to me that the absolute best and fastest way to help minorities is to give the parents education vouchers so the kids can obtain a real education and have a chance to succeed.

We've tried handing out money for 50 years now and we have more poverty than ever. Time to admit our failure and try something that will actually work for the better
What happens when all the parents try to get their kids in the best school in town. Lots of vouchers, not enough space

They're not all going to the BEST school in town. Most of the parents would love their kids to be safe and well-educated. Access to the "trophy schools" could still be attained by acheivement and recognition..
Exactly

Give vouchers and minorities will end up in the same schools they always had while the remaining whites in primarily minority schools will get their ticket out

How the hell do you arrive there? Think vouchers themselves are racist? It's actually the opposite. If a school is failing we OWE the parents who give a shit (regardless of race) an opportunity OUT..

Only way you get to that conclusion is to assume that the parents that DONT give a shit are minority. THAT my bud -- would sound racist. Besides -- it's untrue by the facts and numbers..

Have you watched "Waiting for Superman" yet?? Good start on reforming your racist instincts... :biggrin:

It occurs to me that the absolute best and fastest way to help minorities is to give the parents education vouchers so the kids can obtain a real education and have a chance to succeed.

We've tried handing out money for 50 years now and we have more poverty than ever. Time to admit our failure and try something that will actually work for the better
What happens when all the parents try to get their kids in the best school in town. Lots of vouchers, not enough space

They're not all going to the BEST school in town. Most of the parents would love their kids to be safe and well-educated. Access to the "trophy schools" could still be attained by acheivement and recognition..
Exactly

Give vouchers and minorities will end up in the same schools they always had while the remaining whites in primarily minority schools will get their ticket out

How the hell do you arrive there? Think vouchers themselves are racist? It's actually the opposite. If a school is failing we OWE the parents who give a shit (regardless of race) an opportunity OUT..

Only way you get to that conclusion is to assume that the parents that DONT give a shit are minority. THAT my bud -- would sound racist. Besides -- it's untrue by the facts and numbers..

Have you watched "Waiting for Superman" yet?? Good start on reforming your racist instincts... :biggrin:
Vouchers are a panacea to the right. Give out vouchers and everyone will get a better education

You still have not explained supply and demand

Who is going to end up in the best schools? It won't be minorities

Exactly

Vouchers are a panacea to the right. Give out vouchers and everyone will get a better education

I didn't say EVERYONE. I said it was a triage operation and you save the ones you can FIRST. Meaning that parents who GIVE A SHIT -- should have an immediate choice. And if you ever saw 10,000 minority parents cramming into gymnasiums to get 500 vouchers by LOTTERY -- you'd see what I mean.

LEVELING outcomes is cruel and doesn't address ANY demand. Jerry Brown bucked the leftist warriors as Mayor of Oakland and opened a 1st class "military style" academy there as a charter. 8 hour days.. Dress codes, and discipline. HIGH expectations..

Demand was so high for admission that only about 2% got in.. Turned into a FINE school and FAR beyond the avg slum school in the East Bay. Save THOSE KIDS first -- the rest have problems DEEPER than the school they are assigned to.

Exactly

I didn't say EVERYONE. I said it was a triage operation and you save the ones you can FIRST. Meaning that parents who GIVE A SHIT -- should have an immediate choice. And if you ever saw 10,000 minority parents cramming into gymnasiums to get 500 vouchers by LOTTERY -- you'd see what I mean.

LEVELING outcomes is cruel and doesn't address ANY demand. Jerry Brown bucked the leftist warriors as Mayor of Oakland and opened a 1st class "military style" academy there as a charter. 8 hour days.. Dress codes, and discipline. HIGH expectations..

Demand was so high for admission that only about 2% got in.. Turned into a FINE school and FAR beyond the avg slum school in the East Bay. Save THOSE KIDS first -- the rest have problems DEEPER than the school they are assigned to.

Its funny I don't see rightwinger offering any solutions just saying Vouchers are evil....

:Sigh: this is why we can't have nice things

How about instead of sending jobs to mexico and china we put them in Chicago Detroit and California. Every big city in America.

Do you think black people want to work? I do. Are you going to disparidge blacks now? Or all Americans?

How about instead of sending jobs to mexico and china we put them in Chicago Detroit and California. Every big city in America.

Do you think black people want to work? I do. Are you going to disparidge blacks now? Or all Americans?

Sure, just don't let Democrats run anything. Chicago, Detroit and CA are all run by Democrats.

Notice a pattern?

Sure, just don't let Democrats run anything. Chicago, Detroit and CA are all run by Democrats.

Notice a pattern?
Can you name one large city that is run by a Republican?

Maybe. But it would be interesting to see how things worked out if we did the opposite. Ban any form of higher education for minorities.

Maybe. But it would be interesting to see how things worked out if we did the opposite. Ban any form of higher education for minorities.
Huh? What would be interesting is if instead of mexico and china we kept jobs in America? Put them in Detroit or Chicago for example. Do you think jobs would change a lot? Better schools because those people are now paying property taxes.

And if you say its because of unions I'm going to bitch slap you because there are plenty of right to work states down south they could go. Then people in Detroit or Chicago could migrate where the jobs are.

Why is it that Republicans say unions are ruining Corporate America but when companies like Ford move their plants to Mexico the right to work states down south don't argue for keeping those jobs in America? What's a matter with American workers down south?

Education is not the answer to reversing everyone's poverty. The notion that "everybody should go to college" is obtuse and sets millions up for failure.
CONSIDER...
34% of the population have an IQ between 85-100. That is a fact.
14% of the population have an IQ between 70-85.
There is no getting around that fact. Over a third of the population simply do not have the mental ability for advanced studies. PERIOD. Another 20% will struggle and likely fail.
The ANSWER to reverse poverty, as much as it is possible, is jobs for the masses. Jobs that have decent wages that enable them to have a decent life. We had that at one time.

Education is not the answer to reversing everyone's poverty. The notion that "everybody should go to college" is obtuse and sets millions up for failure.
CONSIDER...
34% of the population have an IQ between 85-100. That is a fact.
14% of the population have an IQ between 70-85.
There is no getting around that fact. Over a third of the population simply do not have the mental ability for advanced studies. PERIOD. Another 20% will struggle and likely fail.
The ANSWER to reverse poverty, as much as it is possible, is jobs for the masses. Jobs that have decent wages that enable them to have a decent life. We had that at one time.
Exactly. Our parents could graduate high school my dad could go get a job at Ford making a decent living and raise a family and my mom could stay at home. We werent rich but my dad saved and now he has a comfortable retirement and both me and my brother are successful. The non union factories around us employed many people and those factories were third tier suppliers to the big three. Their employees didn't make as much money as union workers but they were close because their companies were worried that they would unionize. Without the unions there be no reason to pay everybody so well as we see happening today. Back when I was growing up 30 percent of the workers were in unions today that number is 12 percent maybe less. No coincidence wages have gone down or stayed stagnant as union membership declines. Fact is corporations don't like pain Americans a livable wage and that's why they go to Mexico or China

I can't believe I'm arguing for the dirty south but I would be okay with Ford GM and Chrysler moving down south to non-union cities rather than going to Mexico and China. And I'm sure Republicans would not argue with me. Then if those jobs are good paying jobs people from the North can migrate down there for the good jobs. Just like poor people from the South migrated up north to get those union jobs back in my parents day.

I can't believe I'm arguing for the dirty south but I would be okay with Ford GM and Chrysler moving down south to non-union cities rather than going to Mexico and China. And I'm sure Republicans would not argue with me. Then if those jobs are good paying jobs people from the North can migrate down there for the good jobs. Just like poor people from the South migrated up north to get those union jobs back in my parents day.

Unions were a Godsend for everyone 70 year ago. Unions, as you point out, even helped people who had non-union jobs. Unions were extremely important, and without them the golden era for the middle class would never have happened.
However, absolute power corrupts absolutely. And one's power is without exception, also a measure of their corruption. Unions by the 1970's became corrupt to the core...tearing down the very middle class they helped create.
(Not to say unions are the only reason for the evaporation of the middle class)

Exactly

Its funny I don't see rightwinger offering any solutions just saying Vouchers are evil....

:Sigh: this is why we can't have nice things
Solutions?

I got plenty of solutions,after all, I am rightwinger

First of all, we don't need all of the pass/fail exams to evaluate schools
A school should seek to make each student better than when he started out. Not make everyone a C student. Make and F student a D student and you have still achieved something. Make a C student a B student
Second, teach life skills not arbitrary facts that can be memorized and forgotten
Third, don't be afraid to get rid of students who don't want to be there
Fourth, teach more specific job skills that are directly employable.

Unions were a Godsend for everyone 70 year ago. Unions, as you point out, even helped people who had non-union jobs. Unions were extremely important, and without them the golden era for the middle class would never have happened.
However, absolute power corrupts absolutely. And one's power is without exception, also a measure of their corruption. Unions by the 1970's became corrupt to the core...tearing down the very middle class they helped create.
(Not to say unions are the only reason for the evaporation of the middle class)
Unions are needed more today than ever before. Wages and benefits have eroded. The reason is a loss of collective bargaining

Unions are needed more today than ever before. Wages and benefits have eroded. The reason is a loss of collective bargaining

It is so much more complex than that.
Corporatism and the resulting extreme concentration of wealth is the culprit.
Big money today has infiltrated and corrupted everything we know, including the President you defend all too often.
Unions simply will never have the power to out-power today's super corporations and the supremacy of the financial markets/central banks.
We may very well be in an irreversible point in this country. I am not the least bit confident the American people can wake up out of the divisive politics we are tricked into to come together and attack the real problem.
Ronald Reagan said "Government is not the solution to our problems, government IS the problem". The context he was speaking about was short sided, but put into another context - that sentence is wholly correct. With one change... "TODAY'S government is not the solution to our problems, today's government IS the problem".
And the problem with government is corruption and collusion with big money. BOTH SIDES.

Huh?

It's just a 'thought experiment'. But the surest way to have something devalued and taken for granted is to give it away. On the other hand, if you want to install a burning desire for something, tell people they can't have it.

Huh?

It's just a 'thought experiment'. But the surest way to have something devalued and taken for granted is to give it away. On the other hand, if you want to install a burning desire for something, tell people they can't have it.
No crap then! I agree. Blacks should be ashamed of themselves. Their ancestors got killed for the right to vote and today they don't vote because they too have been convinced it doesn't matter. They need to realize they don't matter because they don't vote.

I came here because I think I have another idea how I could immediately positively impact the black community. Free Iud's for every woman in america. Iud's are 95% effective over 10 years. Rubbers and pills not even close. End the cycle of unplanned pregnancies.

The other day an autistic child was found dead in a lake. His parents think the foster parents should be charged because they weren't watching him. Can you believe that? They should feel so guilty. First they shouldn't have had a child second shouldn't have been with a foster parent anyways it should have been with the real parents or so-called real parents

Forum List

Back