Bernie Sanders introduces 'Stop BEZOS' bill

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

What we are doing is enabling the companies and employees

I think it would be far better for the government to assist those that work
than those that don't.

Help those that are working and trying, fuck the one's that don't work.

The problem is if you work hard and take care of yourself, the government says F those people, they are doing fine.

It's just like Commie Care. If you make french fries 28 hours a week, you can get a good healthcare plan for under 100 bucks a month. For middle-class people who lost their insurance because of Commie Care? 800 a month and it's a shit plan to boot.

That's how Democrats work.

Yeah...but my point was...don't help the one's that don't work. Only help
those that do.

I understand, but people can work and still not be doing nearly enough to improve their plight.

For instance several of our customers use temporary services. They do so to try people out before offering them a full-time job. Hiring and firing people gets to be time consuming and expensive.

When things get busy, they ask the temps if they could work more hours? Most of the temps refuse. Working more hours interferes with their government stipend. They can only make X amount of money a month. Anything after that is like working for free.

I have HUD people next door to me. They have people pulling in and out of the driveway all kinds of hours at night. When I wake in the morning, their cars are parked in the lot. When I get home, their cars are still parked in the lot. I know they have to work because HUD only gives them a voucher so they have to come up with the rest of the rent, and they are living in the suburbs.

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

Then government should reduce their welfare programs. It has nothing to do with corporations.
Wouldn't need so much welfare if corporations paid decent wages.

Then government should reduce their welfare programs. It has nothing to do with corporations.

People didn't start corporations to provide good jobs and benefits. They started them to create services or products for a profit.

How much one makes is not the decision of a corporation. What one makes is a decision each individual makes for themselves.

And the Govt shouldn't have to support employees who won't quit
and go get another job.

The employees are not forced to stay at any job. This is an employee
market at present time. The employee has the upper hand. All those
employees quit...Amazon would up their rates very quickly.
Or they would outsource the jobs for slave wages....I think government should take action here.

People didn't start corporations to provide good jobs and benefits. They started them to create services or products for a profit.

True

In fact the reverse is closer to the truth, corporations typically beat down workers on pay & bennies.

Take the 30hr HC cap, most larger big box stores do 20-25 hr weeks to skate it all

All part of the war on labor you see, because the idealism of self made men achieving ,while all else laungusihes is ever popular

~S~

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

than those that don't.

Assist them how?

than those that don't.

Assist them how?

simple-----welfare as needed-----like a family with 27 children and one working adult. HOWEVER---never lose sight of the fact that some people cannot work-----there are many varieties of disability

And the Govt shouldn't have to support employees who won't quit
and go get another job.

The employees are not forced to stay at any job. This is an employee
market at present time. The employee has the upper hand. All those
employees quit...Amazon would up their rates very quickly.
Or they would outsource the jobs for slave wages....I think government should take action here.

What is Govt going to do? Watch the business leave the country?

The problem with the welfare system is we try to ensure that bums
live a comfortable life. And it has fostered itself onto two more generations.
Children grow up seeing their family live on hand-outs and they have
no problem with it

The carrot is put on a stick dangling in front of the burro to make it move.
If the carrot was put in the burro's mouth, it would just stand still and eat.

--"decent wages" are what gets paid fo decent work. Minimum work earns minimum wage and outstanding wages go for outstanding work.
SUPPLYNLAW.GIF

Bezo sounds like a Mexican word.

Oh yes, we should stop taking them in in ridiculous numbers, not good for wages.

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

Just wanting to see what the ramifications could be by the passage.

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

They would hand it out to deadbeats and moochers. We all know that.

Conservatives and congressional Republicans will baffled on how to respond to Bernie's bill.

While conservatives hate those who rely on government handouts, they must defend every corporation that pays slave wages. But, since their hero, the idiot trump, hates Jeff Bezos, their dilemma is whether to champion their hero's hatred for Bezos or defend Bezo's rights and those of Amazon as a corporation.

Similarly, congressional Republicans' foremost duty is to serve Big Business, and supply as much federal money as possible to keep profits high. But they must also limit federal aid to working Americans.

With his "Stop BEZOS" bill, we are watching as Senator Sanders puts both the Republicans' rank-and-file voters and the congressional Republicans in a metaphorical barrel, and telling them to pi$$ in the corner. Confusion on the right will be rampant, regardless of the outcome.

Any stand taken by the right wingers will be a contradiction to half of their misguided economic and social principles.

No, we Republicans are unified in what we stand for, and that is less government in our lives including welfare people.

First off this is nothing but a typical dog and pony show by the Democrats; trying to introduce stuff they know doesn't stand a chance in hell at even being debated yet alone passed. Secondly, even if it could be passed, it's a violation of the equal protection under the law clause as the law would make specific targets of certain companies also known as unfair taxation.

You can't sit there and fund government programs by choice and say they are a liability of somebody else. Corporations didn't create welfare programs--government did. If people want to work low wage jobs, or only work 25 hours a week, that's not the responsibility of our industry, it's the responsibility of Democrat politicians.
Less government? You defend more government constantly. You want tax dollars going to corporations and the government picking winners and losers. That is big government Ray, don't kid yourself.

While I agree too many handouts are the root of the problem, wages are stagnant. I just don't think cutting welfare will increase wages at this point. Something is really wrong with wages in this country. Normally such low unemployment would trigger great wage gains, they have been stagnant.

Which came first the chicken or the egg? Are corporations taking advantage of workers which lead to a welfare increase? Did welfare increase and corporations found a way to take advantage? Either way is bad for the taxpayer and increases government.

Good questions. One thing I would like to note. Corporations got a huge tax break, have prices gone down? I haven't seen it, they are just pocketing it. Would this tax really increase prices? Makes you wonder since a tax cut sure didn't lower prices.

They would hand it out to deadbeats and moochers. We all know that.
Is that what republicans would do? They control the government. I think it should go toward the debt, but neither party has much interest in that. And the partisans will just keep voting for them.

There is something nice about the people getting rich off the labor paying the welfare rather than us tax payers.

Forum List

Back