Bernie Sanders introduces 'Stop BEZOS' bill

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

*cough* Walmart *cough*

I do not like it. The Sanders idea renders large corporations some kind of PATERNALISTIC
ORGANIZATION. It actually confers POWERS
on persons who control large businesses over the
personal lives of the members of the FAMILIES
of their employees. To me it is a weird kind of legal
enslavement------something like SERFDOM
How does it do that? It sounds like a tax on corporations who pay so little that employees collect welfare.

there are all KINDS of benefits for many many different reasons. How would they determine who is or is not eligible for some "SPECIAL" benefit which falls under the "welfare" umbrella?----would it be
by INDIVIDUAL or by FAMILY or by HOUSEHOLD?
If a veteran receives a 10% disability benefit------would DA COMPANY have to pay it?
Welfare is already determined. This is saying if you work for a corporation and are still collecting welfare, the corporation is taxed on how much welfare you receive.

Tucker Carlson seems to be in agreement with Bernie which is very odd.

On Thursday night, the Sanders plan got a surprise endorsement from Fox News host Tucker Carlson.

“Bernie Sanders of all people is trying to get your money back from Jeff Bezos,” Carlson said. “This is especially amazing because he is on Bernie’s side on most things. They are both left-wing activists. But on this question, Bernie is right.”

Last edited:
This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

Then government should reduce their welfare programs. It has nothing to do with corporations.

I do not like it. The Sanders idea renders large corporations some kind of PATERNALISTIC
ORGANIZATION. It actually confers POWERS
on persons who control large businesses over the
personal lives of the members of the FAMILIES
of their employees. To me it is a weird kind of legal
enslavement------something like SERFDOM
How does it do that? It sounds like a tax on corporations who pay so little that employees collect welfare.

What this is is a proposal for forced minimum wage increase, that's all.

And the Govt shouldn't have to support employees who won't quit
and go get another job.

The employees are not forced to stay at any job. This is an employee
market at present time. The employee has the upper hand. All those
employees quit...Amazon would up their rates very quickly.

And the Govt shouldn't have to support employees who won't quit
and go get another job.

The employees are not forced to stay at any job. This is an employee
market at present time. The employee has the upper hand. All those
employees quit...Amazon would up their rates very quickly.

We've always had lower paying jobs. Been that way all of my life and I'm pushing 60.

When I got out of school, I worked several minimum wage jobs and some lower paying jobs afterwards.

I didn't move out of my parents home until I got established. When the 80's recession hit, I was out of work and there were not even any McDonald's jobs available. So I signed up with every temp agency in the area, and after they put me on a job and evaluated my performance, they had me working every single day, and even wanted me to work two shifts.

Outside of Unemployment, we never depended on the government. Most people had too much pride unlike today. If you don't make enough money, then that's your inspiration to try harder for a better paying job. If you can't get a better paying job, work more hours or get a second job. I had more than one job many times in my life.

Conservatives and congressional Republicans will baffled on how to respond to Bernie's bill.

While conservatives hate those who rely on government handouts, they must defend every corporation that pays slave wages. But, since their hero, the idiot trump, hates Jeff Bezos, their dilemma is whether to champion their hero's hatred for Bezos or defend Bezo's rights and those of Amazon as a corporation.

Similarly, congressional Republicans' foremost duty is to serve Big Business, and supply as much federal money as possible to keep profits high. But they must also limit federal aid to working Americans.

With his "Stop BEZOS" bill, we are watching as Senator Sanders puts both the Republicans' rank-and-file voters and the congressional Republicans in a metaphorical barrel, and telling them to pi$$ in the corner. Confusion on the right will be rampant, regardless of the outcome.

Any stand taken by the right wingers will be a contradiction to half of their misguided economic and social principles.

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

What we are doing is enabling the companies and employees

Conservatives and congressional Republicans will baffled on how to respond to Bernie's bill.

While conservatives hate those who rely on government handouts, they must defend every corporation that pays slave wages. But, since their hero, the idiot trump, hates Jeff Bezos, their dilemma is whether to champion their hero's hatred for Bezos or defend Bezo's rights and those of Amazon as a corporation.

Similarly, congressional Republicans' foremost duty is to serve Big Business, and supply as much federal money as possible to keep profits high. But they must also limit federal aid to working Americans.

With his "Stop BEZOS" bill, we are watching as Senator Sanders puts both the Republicans' rank-and-file voters and the congressional Republicans in a metaphorical barrel, and telling them to pi$$ in the corner. Confusion on the right will be rampant, regardless of the outcome.

Any stand taken by the right wingers will be a contradiction to half of their misguided economic and social principles.

Who is defending them.it was the Democrats who decided to give welfare benefits to employees in the first place.

No, we Republicans are unified in what we stand for, and that is less government in our lives including welfare people.

First off this is nothing but a typical dog and pony show by the Democrats; trying to introduce stuff they know doesn't stand a chance in hell at even being debated yet alone passed. Secondly, even if it could be passed, it's a violation of the equal protection under the law clause as the law would make specific targets of certain companies also known as unfair taxation.

You can't sit there and fund government programs by choice and say they are a liability of somebody else. Corporations didn't create welfare programs--government did. If people want to work low wage jobs, or only work 25 hours a week, that's not the responsibility of our industry, it's the responsibility of Democrat politicians.

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

I think it would be far better for the government to assist those that work
than those that don't.

Help those that are working and trying, fuck the one's that don't work.

How would this amount even be calculated? The employer doesn't know if his employees are receiving government assistance.

than those that don't.

The problem is if you work hard and take care of yourself, the government says F those people, they are doing fine.

It's just like Commie Care. If you make french fries 28 hours a week, you can get a good healthcare plan for under 100 bucks a month. For middle-class people who lost their insurance because of Commie Care? 800 a month and it's a shit plan to boot.

That's how Democrats work.

How would this amount even be calculated? The employer doesn't know if his employees are receiving government assistance.

Exactly, and different people have different needs.

So let's say I'm an employer that has a job paying 10 bucks an hour. If I hire the single guy with no kids, it doesn't cost me anything because he's not on public assistance. If I hire the person with two kids, then I'm getting fined by the government because he gets SNAP's, Medicaid and is in a suburban HUD house.

So what applicant should I choose?

than those that don't.

The problem is if you work hard and take care of yourself, the government says F those people, they are doing fine.

It's just like Commie Care. If you make french fries 28 hours a week, you can get a good healthcare plan for under 100 bucks a month. For middle-class people who lost their insurance because of Commie Care? 800 a month and it's a shit plan to boot.

Yeah...but my point was...don't help the one's that don't work. Only help
those that do.

than those that don't.

More like 1650/month.

than those that don't.

all cases should be considered with reason and tenderness-------BUT shoving the burden of the
GENERAL WELFARE of the disabled or needy on
the private sector ain't gonna work

Forum List

Back