Bernie Sanders introduces 'Stop BEZOS' bill

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

What we are doing is enabling the companies and employees

While I agree too many handouts are the root of the problem, wages are stagnant. I just don't think cutting welfare will increase wages at this point. Something is really wrong with wages in this country. Normally such low unemployment would trigger great wage gains, they have been stagnant.

As long as we keep allowing these foreigners to take our jobs, our wages will not increase either.

This is a fascinating idea. Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages. Could this be an answer?

Update: September 6, 2018: U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders on Wednesday introduced a bill that would tax corporations with more than 500 employees for the full amount employees receive in government assistance. The bill's title, "Stop Bad Employers by Zeroing Out Subsidies Act," or "Stop BEZOS," is an open jab at Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. Sanders had previously criticized Amazon after a study found that some fulfillment center employees relied on a federal food assistance program. Sanders' criticism drew a heated response from Amazon, which prompted another detailed critique from Sanders' office, one that included testimonials from Amazon employeesabout working conditions.

Now this is something I can get behind. 100%. The government shouldn't be forced to help YOUR employees because your uber rich ass wants to play cheap and not pay them well enough.

How about the more simple solution get rid of welfare benefits to those that work?

If a employee can't live on those wages they won't be able to work for them...the companies would have no choice but to raise wages or go out of bussiness ..

While I agree too many handouts are the root of the problem, wages are stagnant. I just don't think cutting welfare will increase wages at this point. Something is really wrong with wages in this country. Normally such low unemployment would trigger great wage gains, they have been stagnant.
Mass immigration of low wage labor from third world countries is the problem. That's so obvious I can't imagine why anyone doesn't get it - unless they deliberately refuse to get it, that is.

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

Just wanting to see what the ramifications could be by the passage.
They would hand it out to deadbeats and moochers. We all know that.
Is that what republicans would do? They control the government. I think it should go toward the debt, but neither party has much interest in that. And the partisans will just keep voting for them.
No, that's what Democrats do. It will never go towards the debt because that doesn't get politicians any votes. You are totally naive about how politics and democracy work.

Then government should reduce their welfare programs. It has nothing to do with corporations.
Wouldn't need so much welfare if corporations paid decent wages.
Which came first the chicken or the egg? Are corporations taking advantage of workers which lead to a welfare increase? Did welfare increase and corporations found a way to take advantage? Either way is bad for the taxpayer and increases government.
Simple solution: terminate the programs.

Mass immigration of low wage labor from third world countries is the problem. That's so obvious I can't imagine why anyone doesn't get it - unless they deliberately refuse to get it, that is.
This country has always had immigrants. Isn't trump kicking them all out? Why are wages still stagnant?

I have a few questions, if this were put into place what would the government do with the savins by tax corporations? Reduce the debt? Spend it on another social program? Also, how much will corporations raise their prices to cover the added cost? What will corporations do to limit the impact of this bill to their bottom line? Would this apply to full time employees only?

Just wanting to see what the ramifications could be by the passage.
They would hand it out to deadbeats and moochers. We all know that.
Is that what republicans would do? They control the government. I think it should go toward the debt, but neither party has much interest in that. And the partisans will just keep voting for them.
No, that's what Democrats do. It will never go towards the debt because that doesn't get politicians any votes. You are totally naive about how politics and democracy work.
Well repubs control the government so you have nothing to worry about then.

As long as we keep allowing these foreigners to take our jobs, our wages will not increase either.
I really don't think that the poor wages immigrants make is going to be pulling down middle class wages. It's something else. Hasn't trump kicked all the immigrants out? Wages aren't up.

Our biggest economic problem is stagnant wages.

This is true. Nobody ever talks about this. Though, stagnant wages are just a consequence of our failed monetery policy, stagnant wages are a perfect indicator of the root problem.

In the economic study world, we use the term stagflation. Reason being is that the inflationism brings stagnant wages for the middle class.

Used to be it wasn't like that. Back before 1971, the middle class was doing great and the 1 percenters were doing lousy. That's all changed since '71 and now the 1 percenters are doing great while the middle class gets hit with the inflation tax and stagnant wages. There's a reason for that. That's when they flipp-flopped the monetary policy.

Now. About Bernie. He was one of our best friends in Congress. He voted with us on pretty much every very bad bill. He sees the root problem. Where he loses us is on his solutions, but still, I liked the way he voted/votes. And that's where the fight lives.

Here's the thing. There are two theoretical 'center' groups.

The first center group are the folks who play left/right political football. They want to compromise, and let all of the bad legislation through from both parties. That'll put us all in shackles. Screw them.

Then, there's the other center. The Bernie supporters and the libertarians. They always agree on the problem. It's just the solution where they part. But...but...they vote the same way in Congress against all of the bad legislation that the other two neocon parties are trying to pass, the tyranny that the other center group wants to 'compromise' on, and, again, the bad legislation coming out of both of those parties is always, always, always, an attack of our liberties. Phhht. Screw that.

If the Bernie folks ever got together with the libertarians and did something together, it'd change the political landscape in a functional way, where it counts. These two groups raise million and millions of dollars in mere weeks...repetitively. They know how to organize. They know how to fill buildings, and I'm not talking about these little Obama and Trump crowds, history shows that our two groups make the establishment party's crowds look like Sunday brunch at the club house. Hell, our side had 150,000 people in meetup groups alone, and I don't even know what the Bernie people had in terms of meetups, but I guarantee it was close to our numbers.

What is important here is not so much to get elected. The important thing is to change the course of history. If the Bernie folks and the libertarians ever got together, not for any policy, but purely in activist function, the walls of the esstablishment party would crumble like a mo..fo..

Anyway. I'm rambling there, but whatever..

OP is correct. Stagnant wages are the only true indicator of what is going on. All of these charts everybody is passing around? Phhht. They're just extentions of the distortion in the economy. And people eat it up like candy.

Last edited:

I really don't think that the poor wages immigrants make is going to be pulling down middle class wages. It's something else. Hasn't trump kicked all the immigrants out? Wages aren't up.

Nope, and far from kicking them all out. We'd love to, but between the MSM and Commie judges still in our courts stopping him, the job becomes more difficult.

Doesn't trump claim immigration is way down? If so wages should be up if that were the problem.

This country has always had immigrants. Isn't trump kicking them all out? Why are wages still stagnant?
We've never had immigrants at this rate, and they weren't all low wage peasants from a third world country.

We've never had immigrants at this rate, and they weren't all low wage peasants from a third world country.
Trump claims the rate is way down. He lying?

It's amusing, Bezos bought the Washington Post to attack Trump and promote radical left politics. But he is learning that Communists have no loyalty or honor.

I laugh my ass off that Bernie is attacking one of the major funding sources for the hate filled left.

My hope is that these two do fatal damage to each other.

It's amusing, Bezos bought the Washington Post to attack Trump and promote radical left politics. But he is learning that Communists have no loyalty or honor.

I laugh my ass off that Bernie is attacking one of the major funding sources for the hate filled left.

My hope is that these two do fatal damage to each other.
Sounds like Bernie can't be bought. That is rare in politics.

Forum List

Back