Benedict Cumberbatch used the phrase "colored people" and he was forced to apologize.

When I was a boy, almost eighty years ago, it was considered polite and proper to refer to negroes as negroes or as colored people.

Some years later, Malcolm X decided that negroes should be referred to as Black, which previously had been insulting.

Further along someone (I don't recall who) insisted that "People Of Color" was the acceptable designation for negroes. But the obvious absurdity of such redundancy is why it was quickly abandoned.

Then came African American, which in most examples is academically correct and would be perfectly okay with me except for the fact it involves seven syllables in place of one, as in negro, or Black.

Although it contains two syllables, the word colored rolls quickly and easily off the tongue, so I have no problem with using it. But this annoyingly PC African American imposition is a bit much and I simply refuse to go along with it. For purposes of simple convenience I choose to continue going along with Malcolm X and referring to negroes as Black. And if they don't like it they can take it up with Malcolm X.

Maybe we should just go back to calling them negroes. There is nothing racist about the term itself, it is simply means black anyway.

Nothing we do will ever satisfy these people. The reason whatever the term-of-the-day is eventually becomes offensive is based on how the people act and how others perceive them. If the majority of them continue to talk like dimwits and lead the nation in crime, then their designation isn't going to help how they are perceived.

Last edited:
When I was a boy, almost eighty years ago, it was considered polite and proper to refer to negroes as negroes or as colored people.

Some years later, Malcolm X decided that negroes should be referred to as Black, which previously had been insulting.

Further along someone (I don't recall who) insisted that "People Of Color" was the acceptable designation for negroes. But the obvious absurdity of such redundancy is why it was quickly abandoned.

Then came African American, which in most examples is academically correct and would be perfectly okay with me except for the fact it involves seven syllables in place of one, as in negro, or Black.

Although it contains two syllables, the word colored rolls quickly and easily off the tongue, so I have no problem with using it. But this annoyingly PC African American imposition is a bit much and I simply refuse to go along with it. For purposes of simple convenience I choose to continue going along with Malcolm X and referring to negroes as Black. And if they don't like it they can take it up with Malcolm X.

Maybe we should just go back to calling them negroes. There is nothing racist about the term itself, it is simply means black anyway.

Nothing we do will ever satisfy these people. The reason what the term of the day is eventually becomes offensive is based on how the people act and how others perceive them. If the majority of them continue to talk like dimwits and lead the nation in crime, then their designation isn't going to help how they are perceived.

Wow have the liberal white guilt politically correct hypocritical world utterly confused them.

Okay. It was once considered accurate to refer to people suffering Down Syndrome as "Mongloids".

then that became unacceptable, and we used the word "Retarded".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the word "Mentally Challenged".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the term, "Special Needs".

I'm sure special needs is going to be unacceptable at a certain point.

Just let us know when "special needs" offends you, and what the new term is. We may make fun of your politics, but we don't wish to be insensitive to your mental handicap.

Forum List

Back