Benedict Cumberbatch used the phrase "colored people" and he was forced to apologize.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
o-BENEDICT-CUMBERBATCH-facebook.jpg

A British actor is groveling for apologies after using an offensive term to refer to black actors – and it’s not what you think.

Brit Benedict Cumberbatch used the phrase “colored actors” on Tavis Smiley’s PBS show and the “colored” community screamed in pain – not really.

Cumberbatch said he is “devastated” by his own comments and desperately, desperately wants you to forgive him – especially colored people – who could care less

“I’m devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology,” he said. “I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done. I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive.”

Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for calling black people coloured Daily Mail Online

LOL, what a disaster of a race.

Those people went ape shit (pun intended) over the fact that this actor had the unmitigated gall to say "colored people" where he has to express a sincere apology.

Check out the tweets by colored actors.

LOL!!!

2518209B00000578-2927166-Expressing_her_opinion_A_woman_named_Marquetta_from_an_unspecifi-a-91_1422305359580.jpg

2518209400000578-2927166-Not_a_fan_Chelsea_Nicole_tweeted_I_never_liked_Cumberbatch_and_h-a-74_1422301533960.jpg

251836FB00000578-2927166-ITV_News_broadcaster_Charlene_White_also_drew_attention_to_Cumbe-a-75_1422301539196.jpg

YET........

These people seemingly have no problem with....

NAACP

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

5n9aij4.gif

What a disaster.

I REFUSE to use the term African-American.
I'm white.
I don't insist on being referred to as Caucasian nor would I insist upon being referred to by the ethnic origins of my ancestry.
And proper and appropriate terminology as determined by whom?
Screw 'em.

I didn't much care for him cast as Khan...

I thought he was brilliant as Kahn. That is hardly the point.

COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE COLORED PEOPLE

A British actor is groveling for apologies after using an offensive term to refer to black actors – and it’s not what you think.

Brit Benedict Cumberbatch used the phrase “colored actors” on Tavis Smiley’s PBS show and the “colored” community screamed in pain – not really.

Cumberbatch said he is “devastated” by his own comments and desperately, desperately wants you to forgive him – especially colored people – who could care less

“I’m devastated to have caused offense by using this outmoded terminology,” he said. “I offer my sincere apologies. I make no excuse for my being an idiot and know the damage is done. I can only hope this incident will highlight the need for correct usage of terminology that is accurate and inoffensive.”

Benedict Cumberbatch apologizes for calling black people coloured Daily Mail Online

LOL, what a disaster of a race.

Those people went ape shit (pun intended) over the fact that this actor had the unmitigated gall to say "colored people" where he has to express a sincere apology.

Check out the tweets by colored actors.

LOL!!!

2518209B00000578-2927166-Expressing_her_opinion_A_woman_named_Marquetta_from_an_unspecifi-a-91_1422305359580.jpg

2518209400000578-2927166-Not_a_fan_Chelsea_Nicole_tweeted_I_never_liked_Cumberbatch_and_h-a-74_1422301533960.jpg

251836FB00000578-2927166-ITV_News_broadcaster_Charlene_White_also_drew_attention_to_Cumbe-a-75_1422301539196.jpg

YET........

These people seemingly have no problem with....

NAACP

National Association for the Advancement of Colored People

5n9aij4.gif

What a disaster.
I get really pissed when blacks call us white people.

None of us are actually white.

Well....with a few exceptions....

Shawn-Herbold-Blue-Eyed-Woman-w-Caked-on-White-Makeup-OMP-Showcase-MM-POTD-%C2%A9-Barry-Druxman-2009.jpg

When I was a boy, almost eighty years ago, it was considered polite and proper to refer to negroes as negroes or as colored people.

Some years later, Malcolm X decided that negroes should be referred to as Black, which previously had been insulting.

Further along someone (I don't recall who) insisted that "People Of Color" was the acceptable designation for negroes. But the obvious absurdity of such redundancy is why it was quickly abandoned.

Then came African American, which in most examples is academically correct and would be perfectly okay with me except for the fact it involves seven syllables in place of one, as in negro, or Black.

Although it contains two syllables, the word colored rolls quickly and easily off the tongue, so I have no problem with using it. But this annoyingly PC African American imposition is a bit much and I simply refuse to go along with it. For purposes of simple convenience I choose to continue going along with Malcolm X and referring to negroes as Black. And if they don't like it they can take it up with Malcolm X.

When I was a boy, almost eighty years ago, it was considered polite and proper to refer to negroes as negroes or as colored people.

Some years later, Malcolm X decided that negroes should be referred to as Black, which previously had been insulting.

Further along someone (I don't recall who) insisted that "People Of Color" was the acceptable designation for negroes. But the obvious absurdity of such redundancy is why it was quickly abandoned.

Then came African American, which in most examples is academically correct and would be perfectly okay with me except for the fact it involves seven syllables in place of one, as in negro, or Black.

Although it contains two syllables, the word colored rolls quickly and easily off the tongue, so I have no problem with using it. But this annoyingly PC African American imposition is a bit much and I simply refuse to go along with it. For purposes of simple convenience I choose to continue going along with Malcolm X and referring to negroes as Black. And if they don't like it they can take it up with Malcolm X.

For some reason it is highly offensive to those people if you suggest they like eating fried chicken or collard greens. Or...watermelons.

Of course if you say an Italian likes pasta primavera, of pizza, or eggplant Parmesan, do they get all offended where people who suggest such things lose their jobs? No.

How about Japanese and sushi?

Just, one big disaster.

Okay. It was once considered accurate to refer to people suffering Down Syndrome as "Mongloids".

then that became unacceptable, and we used the word "Retarded".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the word "Mentally Challenged".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the term, "Special Needs".

I'm sure special needs is going to be unacceptable at a certain point.

Okay. It was once considered accurate to refer to people suffering Down Syndrome as "Mongloids".

then that became unacceptable, and we used the word "Retarded".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the word "Mentally Challenged".

Then that became unacceptable, so we used the term, "Special Needs".

I'm sure special needs is going to be unacceptable at a certain point.
Yes, because there is a huge difference between "colored people" and "people of color".

We have become a nation of self-righteous assholes.

What is sad is that you left out what he actually said:

Talking on the Tavis Smiley show on PBS, Cumberbatch said: “I think as far as coloured actors go, it gets really different in the UK, and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here [in America] than in the UK, and that’s something that needs to change.”

Cumberbatch was calling out the UK for having less opportunities for black actors than the United States.

What is sad is that you left out what he actually said:

Talking on the Tavis Smiley show on PBS, Cumberbatch said: “I think as far as coloured actors go, it gets really different in the UK, and a lot of my friends have had more opportunities here [in America] than in the UK, and that’s something that needs to change.”

Cumberbatch was calling out the UK for having less opportunities for black actors than the United States.
How dare he!!

He's not worthy of using the "N" word, much less the "C" word.

If you spend any time around lefty whities you'll see how they must whisper or mouth the word 'black' when speaking of black people. Like it's in parenthesis or something. They say African-American loudly and proudly as if to suggest to the world that they're not racist.
Recently, that Cuomo who is an alleged news reporter on an alleged news network was referring to the black terrorist in the Paris attack and called him African-American. His co-host had to remind him that the terrorist was not American.
Like the use of the word black in any context is bad now.
Like it was so dark outside that it was pitch African-American out.
I just bought a pair of African-American wing tips to wear with my African-American suit. But it wasn't an African-American tie event. I got a new puppy and the choice was between an African-American Lab and a poodle.
I just made a ton of money and I'm finally in the African-American.
The bad guys always wear the African-American hats.

For some reason it is highly offensive to those people if you suggest they like eating fried chicken or collard greens. Or...watermelons.

Of course if you say an Italian likes pasta primavera, of pizza, or eggplant Parmesan, do they get all offended where people who suggest such things lose their jobs? No.

How about Japanese and sushi?

Just, one big disaster.
I grow watermelons for fun.

I never have had a black get insulted when I gave them one.

Forum List

Back