Because most Americans do not understand how our government even works, should their be a mandate...

...to educate them?

When you get down to brass tacks, there is A LOT to learn about the way the federal government operates. The procedure in congress, for instance, when it comes to legislation is very complex. Do you really think most American voters understand it?

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of how the three branches of government operate is limited to an outline of sorts. It's actually very complex and more nuanced than people think it is. It takes years of education in public policy to even understand it all.

Think of it this way: maybe in school growing up you watched the "Schoolhouse Rock!" episode of how a bill is advanced and you got a very basic spiel about the Checks and Balances system through a fun song. Now does that mean you understand the totality of ANY the concepts offered in that cartoon? NO! Someone in the 6th grade more than likely doesn't care about researching the topic further.

I cant remember the exact percentage, but the last poll I read on the subject said that a majority of American adults cannot even name all 3 branches of government let alone have a basic understanding of how they operate among each other!

In other words, how to we fix this problem? I mean seriously think about this: when someone turns 18, the government decides that that person understands how the federal and state government operates and therefore has the right to vote. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE BECAUSE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IS A JOKE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CIVICS. We might as well allow 6th graders the right to vote because they heard the song about how a bill is passed.

No mandate, but a requirement that every adult must pass a citizenship test to vote would be a good start.

That's been tried before. It didn't work out too well.
Where?

In the United States.

People on this board are government geeks. We dwell on minute details and their significance

Most people do not care

A voter does not need to know other than candidate A represents my interests more than candidate B

How do you know they represent your interests? all tell us what we want to hear while running for office?

Well, we do have that recording of Hillary telling her Goldman Sachs cronies not to worry, she had a 'public plan and a private plan', so I guess Rightwinger can tell us which plan represented him/her/it/mutant.
What does that have to do with denying people the right to vote

Why not answer the questions already asked instead of avoiding answering them and hoping asking more will cover up for your non-answers?
Why are you raising an issue unrelated to the OP?

The issue is denying people the right to vote
I don't understand where you got that in my post. I'm not suggesting we deny anyone the right to vote.

How do you know they represent your interests? all tell us what we want to hear while running for office?

Well, we do have that recording of Hillary telling her Goldman Sachs cronies not to worry, she had a 'public plan and a private plan', so I guess Rightwinger can tell us which plan represented him/her/it/mutant.
What does that have to do with denying people the right to vote

Why not answer the questions already asked instead of avoiding answering them and hoping asking more will cover up for your non-answers?
Why are you raising an issue unrelated to the OP?

The issue is denying people the right to vote
I don't understand where you got that in my post. I'm not suggesting we deny anyone the right to vote.
Are you Picaro?

Forum List

Back