Because most Americans do not understand how our government even works, should their be a mandate...

People on this board are government geeks. We dwell on minute details and their significance

Most people do not care

A voter does not need to know other than candidate A represents my interests more than candidate B

And that might be the case if politicians didn't constantly lie. But if you follow politics, you know who is more likely to lie and who is not. You know if a presidential candidate stands a chance at implementing their ideas given the structure of our Congress and Senate.

Since you avoided my baseball question, do you really believe we would have a better or worse government if we only allowed the politically informed to vote?

People on this board are government geeks. We dwell on minute details and their significance

Most people do not care

A voter does not need to know other than candidate A represents my interests more than candidate B

And that might be the case if politicians didn't constantly lie. But if you follow politics, you know who is more likely to lie and who is not. You know if a presidential candidate stands a chance at implementing their ideas given the structure of our Congress and Senate.

Since you avoided my baseball question, do you really believe we would have a better or worse government if we only allowed the politically informed to vote?
We have the greatest government in history

It is built on allowing EVERY citizen the right to vote

A very small percentage of people in the city use public transportation. Here taxpayers even have to subsidize our busses otherwise they would go out of business. Up north, there is nothing worse than standing at a bus stop at 5:30 am in a snowstorm waiting for your bus that will likely be late.

I live on the east side of the greater Cleveland area but I work on the west side about 20 miles from my home. I would have to transfer to two, three or even four busses to make it to work, and then have to do the same going back. In my car, I make it to work in 25 minutes. If I had to use public transportation, just going to work would take me an hour and a half. That's why few use public transportation, so yes, people need cars to get to work on time.

Of course well kept yards keep property value up. That's why most cities have laws about how to maintain your property. They have maximum grass length, maximum hedge height, time limits on when you can take your garbage out and when you have to retrieve the garbage cans, house colors, fence height restrictions, all kinds of regulations to keep the property value up in a city. Even if you have an eye on a very nice house, if the neighbors house next door has busted windows, paint peeling off, grass a foot high, and the color of the neighbors house is bright green with pink shutters, you are not going to want to buy there.

Nothing abstract about it. Colleges have been charging more and more every year because they don't need to attract students--students need their acceptance to get in. In fact for profit colleges have a 20% profit margin. If you have a for sale sign on your car window because you want to sell it for $15,,000, and people are knocking your door down to buy it, you would be able to sell it for much more than $15,000. That's what's happening with our colleges today.

No, I don't want government running anything. But if government is going to pay for investments, it's only fair that they pay for all investments.
That is why Cleveland is a second rate city

Most major cities rely on public transportation to move people about. Parking facilities are very wasteful in city planning

I see, so you use public transportation everywhere you go?

Reminds me of the local editorial writer who said he 'was all for mass transit, because it would make his drive downtown much more pleasant'.

Most of the 'mass transit' around here was designed to help the maids and gardeners for the wealthy neighborhoods get to work and back.

Over here, mass transit is used for people who are not smart enough to get a drivers license or those not smart enough to keep one. Other than that, mass transit is basically useless.

Our sales tax in this county charges us 1% of sales that go to the bus lines. While that may not sound like much, it's 75% of the bus lines revenue. In other words, without unfairly taxing people to support the busses, there would be no busses.
Proving Cleveland to be a second tier city

Why would no interest in public transportation make Cleveland a second tier city? The only reason Cleveland is a second tier city is because it's completely run by Democrats.

The current Cleveland Mayor had a bill passed to spend 2.5 million dollars on a dirt bike path. Why a dirt bike path? Because his grandson got busted a couple of times riding his dirt bike in the street. Now that same grandson got caught with an illegal gun and dope. It's the same grandson that miraculously got a great job with the water department.

His great grandson also just got nailed for carrying an illegal gun. That's not the end of the world, but the Mayors great grandson is only 14 years old.

This election, the Mayor has a lot of competition for reelection. The person that will come closest to beating him is currently a city councilman who got busted for DUI three times in the city.

But public transportation is why we are a second tier city.

Most people do not care

I guess you believe that if you deflect, I'll forget all about what I asked you.

...to educate them?

When you get down to brass tacks, there is A LOT to learn about the way the federal government operates. The procedure in congress, for instance, when it comes to legislation is very complex. Do you really think most American voters understand it?

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of how the three branches of government operate is limited to an outline of sorts. It's actually very complex and more nuanced than people think it is. It takes years of education in public policy to even understand it all.

Think of it this way: maybe in school growing up you watched the "Schoolhouse Rock!" episode of how a bill is advanced and you got a very basic spiel about the Checks and Balances system through a fun song. Now does that mean you understand the totality of ANY the concepts offered in that cartoon? NO! Someone in the 6th grade more than likely doesn't care about researching the topic further.

I cant remember the exact percentage, but the last poll I read on the subject said that a majority of American adults cannot even name all 3 branches of government let alone have a basic understanding of how they operate among each other!

In other words, how to we fix this problem? I mean seriously think about this: when someone turns 18, the government decides that that person understands how the federal and state government operates and therefore has the right to vote. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE BECAUSE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IS A JOKE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CIVICS. We might as well allow 6th graders the right to vote because they heard the song about how a bill is passed.

Yes, and it begins with you learning the English Language.

...to educate them?

When you get down to brass tacks, there is A LOT to learn about the way the federal government operates. The procedure in congress, for instance, when it comes to legislation is very complex. Do you really think most American voters understand it?

I'll be the first to admit that my knowledge of how the three branches of government operate is limited to an outline of sorts. It's actually very complex and more nuanced than people think it is. It takes years of education in public policy to even understand it all.

Think of it this way: maybe in school growing up you watched the "Schoolhouse Rock!" episode of how a bill is advanced and you got a very basic spiel about the Checks and Balances system through a fun song. Now does that mean you understand the totality of ANY the concepts offered in that cartoon? NO! Someone in the 6th grade more than likely doesn't care about researching the topic further.

I cant remember the exact percentage, but the last poll I read on the subject said that a majority of American adults cannot even name all 3 branches of government let alone have a basic understanding of how they operate among each other!

In other words, how to we fix this problem? I mean seriously think about this: when someone turns 18, the government decides that that person understands how the federal and state government operates and therefore has the right to vote. THAT IS COMPLETELY INSANE BECAUSE OUR PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM IS A JOKE - ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO CIVICS. We might as well allow 6th graders the right to vote because they heard the song about how a bill is passed.
More mandates? How very leftist of you.

No thanks

If a voter does not know there are 100 Senators, 435 Congressmen and 9 Supreme Court Justices......what difference does it make?

It doesn't, but that doesn't mean they know the issues and what's at stake.

For instance, Hil-Liar was yapping about free college. The political ignorant think that government will somehow make college free. They don't understand the fact that somebody would have had to pay for that college. They don't understand that 20 trillion in debt is a dangerous level of debt for this country to have. They don't understand that if you tax the rich for it, some will take their companies and move out the country to escape taxes. Let me put it this way...........

Let's say that the baseball league had fans vote on players instead of the teams choosing who they needed. Your city allowed any citizen to choose the player, and my city only allowed those with a great knowledge of baseball to choose the players for our team. Which city do you think would have a better baseball team?

That's why I said if it were up to me, every voter would have to take a very simple test before being allowed to vote. If we did that, we might end up with less voters like this:

Our society benefits from having free High School
We are deciding whether free college is the next step

An educated workforce benefits society

An educated workforce elected Trump

That is why Cleveland is a second rate city

Most major cities rely on public transportation to move people about. Parking facilities are very wasteful in city planning

Reminds me of the local editorial writer who said he 'was all for mass transit, because it would make his drive downtown much more pleasant'.

Most of the 'mass transit' around here was designed to help the maids and gardeners for the wealthy neighborhoods get to work and back.

Over here, mass transit is used for people who are not smart enough to get a drivers license or those not smart enough to keep one. Other than that, mass transit is basically useless.

Our sales tax in this county charges us 1% of sales that go to the bus lines. While that may not sound like much, it's 75% of the bus lines revenue. In other words, without unfairly taxing people to support the busses, there would be no busses.

Why would no interest in public transportation make Cleveland a second tier city? The only reason Cleveland is a second tier city is because it's completely run by Democrats.

The current Cleveland Mayor had a bill passed to spend 2.5 million dollars on a dirt bike path. Why a dirt bike path? Because his grandson got busted a couple of times riding his dirt bike in the street. Now that same grandson got caught with an illegal gun and dope. It's the same grandson that miraculously got a great job with the water department.

His great grandson also just got nailed for carrying an illegal gun. That's not the end of the world, but the Mayors great grandson is only 14 years old.

This election, the Mayor has a lot of competition for reelection. The person that will come closest to beating him is currently a city councilman who got busted for DUI three times in the city.

Because the great cities of the world would never survive without an efficient mass transit system
If Cleveland only needs mass transit for those who can't afford cars....you are not a great city

If a voter does not know there are 100 Senators, 435 Congressmen and 9 Supreme Court Justices......what difference does it make?

For instance, Hil-Liar was yapping about free college. The political ignorant think that government will somehow make college free. They don't understand the fact that somebody would have had to pay for that college. They don't understand that 20 trillion in debt is a dangerous level of debt for this country to have. They don't understand that if you tax the rich for it, some will take their companies and move out the country to escape taxes. Let me put it this way...........

Let's say that the baseball league had fans vote on players instead of the teams choosing who they needed. Your city allowed any citizen to choose the player, and my city only allowed those with a great knowledge of baseball to choose the players for our team. Which city do you think would have a better baseball team?

That's why I said if it were up to me, every voter would have to take a very simple test before being allowed to vote. If we did that, we might end up with less voters like this:

Low information voters

Most people do not care

I guess you believe that if you deflect, I'll forget all about what I asked you.

We the People built a country on EVERYONE being represented

Not just the chosen few

Because the great cities of the world would never survive without an efficient mass transit system
If Cleveland only needs mass transit for those who can't afford cars....you are not a great city

I have no idea how you drew that line. WTF wants to use mass transit? The only real need for it is if there is too much traffic worthy of driving in yourself such as NYC or something. Other than that, nobody wants mass transit.

Most people do not care

Not just the chosen few

Okay, as I said, deflection noted.

Low information voters

So they are well educated but low information

...to educate them?

The last thing we need is a bunch of snowflakes teaching naive children how government works.

I have no idea how you drew that line. WTF wants to use mass transit? The only real need for it is if there is too much traffic worthy of driving in yourself such as NYC or something. Other than that, nobody wants mass transit.
Like I said...second rate cities don't need it

Most people do not care

Not just the chosen few

Our Constitution is not a deflection

Yes, I'll begin. It should be "there" not "their" in title.
Ah you got me! I can live with the typo though.

That's part of the problem. Rather than fix it you are fine living with it.

I make typos often because of the small buttons on the phone and autocorrect. But I fix them when I find them out

Education is often in the little things. We should always strive for our best.
Oh gee good for you! You fix typos! Well, I'm sure you're aware that the site has a small of window of time for allowing you to edit your posts. Does it matter I didn't I fix it in time? No it does not.

Not just the chosen few

No, but you avoiding answering a question certainly is.

Not just the chosen few

No, but you avoiding answering a question certainly is.

I am here to answer your ridiculous questions?

What are you so concerned about?

Most people do not care

Not just the chosen few

lol rubbish. No such thing as representing everybody. You're drunk.

Forum List

Back