Beating The Liberal Education Industry

"Feelings Now Acceptable As Answers To Math Problems

WASHINGTON, D.C.—An update issued Tuesday to the 2017–2018 Common Core educational standards now allows students to answer mathematics problems by responding with whatever their feelings are telling them at the time.

One example problem given to illustrate the updated standards asked students to figure out when a 6:00 a.m. train leaving Boston at thirty miles per hour and a 7:00 a.m. Milwaukee train headed the opposite direction at forty miles per hour will intersect. A list of possible solutions to the sample problem published in the Common Core standards obtained by reporters indicated that “Ugh,” “I’m offended,” “Triggered,” “Trains scare me,” “Boston scares me,” “Milwaukee scares me,” and “Kill yourself,” would all be scored as correct.

“Any emotion, feeling, statement, or catchphrase is an acceptable answer to most of the problems in the new mathematics standards,” a Common Core representative told reporters. “As long as students are being sincere, genuine, authentic, and true to themselves at the time they are answering the question, that’s all we can ask as educators.”

“Who are we to tell anyone that their own mathematical truth is wrong?” the rep added.

According to the rep, the Common Core standards will be updated next year to include feelings as acceptable responses to any and all questions pertaining to biology, chemistry, grammar, and history, while sources claim that English literature teachers have already been accepting emotions as responses for years."

Feelings Now Acceptable As Answers To Math Problems

This is false. The site you are referencing is a satirical news site. See for example the footer: "The Babylon Bee is Your Trusted Source For Christian News Satire." You might also find your suspicions aroused by other headlines on this site like Hugh Jackman To Host All Future Senate Hearings In Character As P.T. Barnum. Wikipedia describes the site as "famous for over-the-top satirical stories focusing on well known pastors, celebrities, and politicians."

The actual common core standards for math can be downloaded here. The word "feelings" does not appear in the text.

Here's another version.....

...the evolution in teaching math since the 1950s.

1. Teaching Math In 1950
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Teaching Math In 1960
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Teaching Math In 1970
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Teaching Math In 1980
A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.
------------------------------ -----------------------------------------
5. Teaching Math In 1990
A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living?
Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Teaching Math In 2009
Un hachero vende una carretada de maderapara $100.
El costo de la producciones es $80. Cuanto dinero ha hecho.

Did you get the joke, the point, this time????????

My apologies. There's so much stupidity around here, it's hard to tell that someone posted something stupid as a joke. I also think it's probably fair to say that your sense of humor is based on some premises that I really strongly disagree with, which I'm sure doesn't help.

My apologies. There's so much stupidity around here, it's hard to tell that someone posted something stupid as a joke. I also think it's probably fair to say that your sense of humor is based on some premises that I really strongly disagree with, which I'm sure doesn't help.

1. Welcome to the board.

2. "it's hard to tell that someone posted something stupid as a joke."
Somehow you were unable to fill in the space between 'something stupid' , and 'joke.'

3."your sense of humor is based on some premises that I really strongly disagree with, which I'm sure doesn't help."
a. Only one of us has a sense of humor, and the other is you.

b. Please articulate some of the "premises that I really strongly disagree with' and I will promptly eviscerate them.

4. You joined the board not a moment too soon as you have so very much to learn.

Only one of us has a sense of humor, and the other is you

Not true, I've had my sense of humor tested and it's operating within normal parameters.

Please articulate some of the 'premises that I really strongly disagree with' and I will promptly eviscerate them

To pick one example, it seems to me that one of the premises of your followup joke is that having Spanish speaking people in the US is undesirable, and the point of it is supposed to be something like declining educational standards in the US leading to the replacement of "traditional" American culture with a foreign culture. I admit that the exact point of it is not entirely clear to me, but it seems to involve an element of ethnocentrism which I think is problematic. I also think the premise about declining educational standards is hyperbolic to the point of inanity.

Referring back to the OP, I also think claims about "liberal indoctrination" are massively overblown.

Only one of us has a sense of humor, and the other is you

Not true, I've had my sense of humor tested and it's operating within normal parameters.

Please articulate some of the 'premises that I really strongly disagree with' and I will promptly eviscerate them

To pick one example, it seems to me that one of the premises of your followup joke is that having Spanish speaking people in the US is undesirable, and the point of it is supposed to be something like declining educational standards in the US leading to the replacement of "traditional" American culture with a foreign culture. I admit that the exact point of it is not entirely clear to me, but it seems to involve an element of ethnocentrism which I think is problematic. I also think the premise about declining educational standards is hyperbolic to the point of inanity.

Referring back to the OP, I also think claims about "liberal indoctrination" are massively overblown.

1. So you would rather ignore the fact that you missed the point entirely in the first thread you misrepresented.
This would obviate your claim: "I've had my sense of humor tested and it's operating within normal parameters."

2. "it seems to me that one of the premises of your followup joke is that having Spanish speaking people in the US is undesirable"
a. only if they are illegals.
b. And, legal or illegal....if they refuse to learn the English language.

3. "I also think the premise about declining educational standards is hyperbolic to the point of inanity."
a. Refrain from the use of the first three words.....fact not in evidence.
b. Only a moron or a Liberal would deny the decline in educational standards.
Take you for instance.....

4. I believe we've proven my observation that you joined not a moment too soon to fill in the lacunae of a public school 'education.'

1. So you would rather ignore the fact that you missed the point entirely in the first thread you misrepresented.
This would obviate your claim: "I've had my sense of humor tested and it's operating within normal parameters."

I already acknowledged my first mistake, so it didn't seem necessary to repeat myself. I think the mistake in your second sentence is that you seem to be presuming that either a person must share your specific sense of humor on any given topic or else they don't have a sense of humor at all. I think that's a non-sequitur. I also think this part of our discussion is pretty silly, but I get some marginal entertainment out of responding to it as though I were Commander Data, so there is that.

a. only if they are illegals.
b. And, legal or illegal....if they refuse to learn the English language.

The first distinction is not made in the joke you posted, but it's also not a distinction I care about as much as you do, for a variety of reasons. At the risk of oversimplifying a complicated issue, the problem in my view is simply that in many/most cases illegal status is in large part a result of flaws in our immigration system, rather than some moral failing on the part of immigrants, especially Latin American immigrants. Our laws are incoherent in that we encourage -- and in fact are economically dependent upon -- immigrant workers, many of whom used to migrate seasonally back and forth across the border. After the passage of the IRCA in the 80s that became impossible, but it's also effectively impossible for the overwhelming majority to ever get visas or any other legal status. So, being people they act pragmatically: they stay illegally. We exploit them economically while also scapegoating them and refusing to address the legal issues we created.

I think the topic of cultural assimilation is pretty deep, and potentially tricky in a number of ways, but I'm sure it's another example of an area where we have different values.

3. "I also think the premise about declining educational standards is hyperbolic to the point of inanity."
a. Refrain from the use of the first three words.....fact not in evidence.

Sum ergo cogito, IMO.

This guy was on BBC today, promoting his book.

Coddling of the American Mind:
How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure

Something has been going wrong on many college campuses in the last few years. Speakers are shouted down. Students and professors say they are walking on eggshells and are afraid to speak honestly. Rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide are rising. How did this happen?

https://www.thecoddling.com

Something has been going wrong on many college campuses in the last few years. Speakers are shouted down. Students and professors say they are walking on eggshells and are afraid to speak honestly. Rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide are rising. How did this happen?

Thank you for reminding me--I have been meaning to get this book and read it.

"Safetyism" and valuing feelings over truth. I have had a front seat to this crap show for most of my teaching career. And it has been a complete you know what storm. At first most of us knew it was wrong and counterproductive on an intuitive level; now we see the horrible ramifications.

I don't know. I look at young adults my kids' ages when they whine about "not feeling safe" and think of the young men who died on the beached at Normandy, and throughout history in so many other horrific ways. And I think, "Whoever told you that life was going to 'feel safe' for you? For the great and glorious love of God, what have we DONE to you??"

"Safetyism" and valuing feelings over truth. I have had a front seat to this crap show for most of my teaching career. And it has been a complete you know what storm. At first most of us knew it was wrong and counterproductive on an intuitive level; now we see the horrible ramifications.

I don't know. I look at young adults my kids' ages when they whine about "not feeling safe" and think of the young men who died on the beached at Normandy, and throughout history in so many other horrific ways. And I think, "Whoever told you that life was going to 'feel safe' for you? For the great and glorious love of God, what have we DONE to you??"

The author spoke today with a British panel about the state of universities. Britain not being as far on as the US with the problem, but showing disturbing signs of going that way.

The author spoke today with a British panel about the state of universities. Britain not being as far on as the US with the problem, but showing disturbing signs of going that way.

Shiet, UK has been there for 20 years plus!

Wtf you think David Gilmour was talking about in 1979?

I merely quoted what the author had said earlier on TV.

His book is full of shit. Ex: UK has hatespeech laws.

I've not read it.

I've not read it.

Wait a minute, he's calling attention to the fact that the schools are producing brainless snowflakes. I agree with that. If he doesn't know why, he shouldn't be writing a book. He should read this:

Riot-Prone Mobs Are A Product Of America’s Cult-Like Education System

I've not read it.

Wait a minute, he's calling attention to the fact that the schools are producing brainless snowflakes. I agree with that. If he doesn't know why, he shouldn't be writing a book. He should read this:

It was the schools teaching about the Boston Massacre and the WWi vets wanting their bonus early during the Great Depressions, right?

There is no beating the liberal education industry. They convince you that you are gay and that there is no God. Unbeatable. Maybe exorcism? Or at least re-consecration?

I've not read it.

I recall another American going around promoting her book in the UK.

It was quite nauseating, actually. Watching Hillary Clinton whining about the Russians, on light entertainment shows.

Britons settling down on a FrIday night, having to watch THAT.

I wonder if Michelle Obama will be next.

"The National Education Association approved a new "business item" expressing support for abortion access during its annual conference in Houston.

"[T]he NEA will include an assertion of our defense of a person's right to control their own body, especially for women, youth, and sexually marginalized people," the resolution states. "The NEA vigorously opposes all attacks on the right to choose and stands on the fundamental right to abortion under Roe v. Wade."

The NEA is the largest teachers' union in the U.S. with more than 3 million members. It collected nearly $400 million from American educators in 2018, according to federal labor filings. The union is also one of the most politically active in the country, spending $70 million on politics and lobbying in 2017 and 2018. Nearly all of the union's political action committee spending went to Democrats during the midterm cycle, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

"NEA's 2019 adopted New Business Items (NBIs) reveal what savvy teachers have known for decades: state and national teachers' unions are essentially the political action committee of the Far-Left,"

Largest U.S. Teachers' Union Endorses Abortion

"The National Education Association approved a new "business item" expressing support for abortion access during its annual conference in Houston.

"[T]he NEA will include an assertion of our defense of a person's right to control their own body, especially for women, youth, and sexually marginalized people," the resolution states. "The NEA vigorously opposes all attacks on the right to choose and stands on the fundamental right to abortion under Roe v. Wade."

The NEA is the largest teachers' union in the U.S. with more than 3 million members. It collected nearly $400 million from American educators in 2018, according to federal labor filings. The union is also one of the most politically active in the country, spending $70 million on politics and lobbying in 2017 and 2018. Nearly all of the union's political action committee spending went to Democrats during the midterm cycle, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

"NEA's 2019 adopted New Business Items (NBIs) reveal what savvy teachers have known for decades: state and national teachers' unions are essentially the political action committee of the Far-Left,"

Aaaaand this is why I quit the NEA the very moment I could. And I'm not the only one:

Union Report Exclusive: Internal Report Shows NEA Losses of 17,000 Members and 87,000 Fee Payers Since Janus Decision

Aaaaand this is why I quit the NEA the very moment I could. And I'm not the only one:

Union Report Exclusive: Internal Report Shows NEA Losses of 17,000 Members and 87,000 Fee Payers Since Janus Decision

That is only a 3 % loss. Will not stop the train. But the financials are interesting. Especially how the far left is making its money. Interesting. ...

That is only a 3 % loss. Will not stop the train. But the financials are interesting. Especially how the far left is making its money. Interesting. ...

It's an entirely internal American org so why do you care

Forum List

Back